BalloonFoxHunt RDF

  • pa3bnx
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013

      Hello EveryBody

      We did have here in the Netherlands 15 september 2013 a nice
      balloon-fox-hunt. (PH35BFH)

      I had time to test my SoundDoppler doppler direction find software
      in conjunction with APRSIS32

      It worked great !

      The APRSIS32 software from Lynn Deffenbough is excellent for plotting Doppler-Direction-Finding.

      It plots automaticly objects through TCP TEXT port
      to APRSIS32.

      My software sends no data if it doesn't recieve the fox.
      So I don't know where I am on the aprsis32 map while driving.

      While that is the case I thought it would be nice if it sends
      a beacon every 2 minutes so I can see my position on the APRSIS32 map.

      So now my software sends a position packet  if it didn't hear anything with
      2 minutes time interval.

      I can press key-P and then it sends immediately a position packet Like

      ''Position report without bearing info
      PA3BNX-9>APDF01:/094755h5151.00N/00540.00E\135/050<<SoundDoppler I am here!>> /A=000006

      ''Normal DF Object report
      PA3BNX-9>APDF01:;BNX.DF488*095013/5151.00N/00540.00E\135/050/004/835 %DF004°/5 145450kHz Gps On /A=000006

      (It can be handy to use ssid-9 like PA3BNX-9 for the doppler-callsign if the APRSIS32-callsign  is PA3BNX)
      (Also because you are hunting with in a car so mobile)

      The position report can be tracked in APRSIS32  Screen>Tracks
      and it deletes older position reports.

      While the DF object reports stay on map until the objects are killed
      (Option in SoundDoppler)

      Objects are not tracked in APRSIS32

      With the SoundDoppler position beacon report APRSIS32 has no need to have GPS nmea input
      on it's port nor has it to send NMEA through the doppler software.

      So its great working together with APRSIS32

      The new version SoundDoppler138.zip with the Position report will be soon released on our website's

      http://www.pi4wag.nl/index.php/pseudo-doppler-radio-direction-finder
      http://members.chello.nl/~w.hofman/pa8w/rdf.htm

      Aditionally hints and experience with Doppler Direction Finding Balloon Hunt:

      The balloon transmitter had two tones alternating sound (alternating about 2 Hz)
      The tones where 336 Hz and 538 Hz and a 667 Hz CWID
      So they lay around the most used doppler referency frequency of 500 Hz.

      The tones were strong modulated so the Switch Capicitor (SCF) Filter circuit has a
      hard task to filter just the 500 Hz tone witch is also much less in amplitude.

      It's good to have a switchable reference frequency of lets say 500 and 900 Hz.
      So you can get away from audio modulated tones.

      My SoundDoppler software with high-samplerate (22050Hz) and SinCos detector (Correlation) gives much better results
      than harware SCF filter equipment with a zerocross detector.

      The sofswitcher DSSSD   DeluxeSuperSimpleSoundDoppler circuit on the site of PA8W gives much better
      results then other hardswitched hardware doppler systems.

      The softswitching makes you detect much weaker-signals and its less prune to loud signals on neighbour channels.

      And its cheap and easy to build !

      73's PA3BNX

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013

        One of the items on my list to get, Have watched the chat on this list about it

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013

           Hello Every Body,

          Some hints to get SoundDoppler working with APRSIS32 from KJ4ERJ

          Under SoundDoppler
          ------------------

          Press F11  PacketLog

          You must enter a

          callsign (Maybe nice to take another SSID then APRSIS uses like -7 or -9)
          latitude
          longitude

          To send to APRSIS32
          If you have a GPS working then the latitude and longitude
          are coming from there.

          Check TCPIP checked
          check Kill  checked (wil grey Older DF Objects)

          If you have a GPS-rx  and a recent APRSIS32 then
          Check Cse+Hdg  :Unchecked   (It adds GPScourse and DopplerHeading)
          This must only checked if using an older APRSIS32

          Under APRSISIS32
          ----------------

          Create a new port called something like Doppler

          Configure>Ports>New
          Adjust in popup screen
          Type       :Text
          Name       :Doppler

          Then press TCP/IP
          IP or DNS   :Localport
          Port        :1024

          Quit Time   :0
          Enabled     :checked
          Bulletin/Obj:checked

          Screen>Direction Finding>Enabled
          Screen>Direction Finding>Opacity (15)
          Screen>Brightness>Dim (Better visability for DF sectors)

          If you don't like many DF objects in the scroller then
          Screen>Scroller>Not Mine :checked

          Enables>Port>All
          Enables>Port>Doppler

          Sometimes there is no connection to SoundDoppler
          Then simply close and reopen the Doppler port
          Enables>Port>Doppler :uncheck
          en right after that
          Enables>Port>Doppler :check

          You can also switch SoundDoppler.exe TCP/IP with the checkbox
          left from the start/running button in SoundDoppler

          If it shows Doppler OK
          Just above the scroller then there is a connection

          APRSIS32 can send the DF objects to Internet
          Configure>Ports>Doppler
          RF to IS :checked
          Of cource you need a passcode to send to IS

          I hope this wil help you all to get SoundDoppler.exe running with APRSIS32.exe

          I wil soon upload the newer version SoundDoppler138.zip on our websites

          73's PA3BNX

          Happy Foxhunting

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013

             Hello Everybody,

            Sofisticated Radio Direction Finding

            Whats needed for a SoundDoppler Mobile Foxhunt

            ==============================
            Go with at least two persons.
            One driver and one operator.
            Safetey first !
            ==============================

            Download the latest version SoundDoppler and APRSIS32

            Just buy
            --------

            1 LapTop with XP/Vista/Win7/8
            1 USB Stereo input SoundCard if the PC doesn't have it like UCA202
            1 GPS mouse with rs232 or USB with NMEA
            1 FM Rx porto or scanner or a FT817 with cat62 cable
            1 Maybe you need USB to RS232 cables to

            To build assemble yourself
            --------------------------

            1 SuperSimpleSoundDoppler Generator
            1 4x Antenna Array

            You can buy the PCB's from PA8W
            http://members.chello.nl/~w.hofman/pa8w/rdf.htm

            The best SuperSimpleSoundDoppler generator is the hardware with 4 softswitch
            transistors connected to the 4017 chip.
            This let the doppler detect weaker signals and it has less influence from
            strong neighbourh channels.

            1 50 ohm coax cable(rg58) with connectors BNC /SMA
            1 Control cable with 5p Din connectors
            1 USB or rs232 db9 cable to make the GPSmouse cable longer so it can
              reside on top of the car roof.

            1 shielded audio cable with 3.5mm stereo jack to lsp rx and sounddopplergenerator
            1 Maybe a Switchable monitor loudspeaker
            1 Maybe Needed a simple stereo-preamp for the USB SoundCard with isolation
              1:1 transformers to avoid ground loops.

            1 12V board supply volt connector block
            1 adapter to feed the Laptop from 12 volts (Home brew?)
            (Maybe you need a upconverter many laptops have adapters on 16 Volt)

            Try to create a box or assembly where all the hardware resides.
            Make shure you can see the laptop screen and try to shield it from sunlight.

            If using APRSIS32 then also cache the tiles from the region where the hunt happens.
            Play with the software at home so you know how the software and hardware works!

            I think anyone can become a profi-hunter with this equipment.

            In the mean time I try to make the software as good as it can be !

            Happy Mobile (Fox/Balloon) Hunting

            PA3BNX

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013
              It is fun to buy all that stuff to play with, but one rarely has it when it is needed.  Better to simply learn to use the gray matter between your ears and the FM radio (HT an mobile) that you already have.

              It is easy to do and you can practice on ANY signal anytime.

              See http://aprs.org/dfing.html

              Ignore the APRS stuff and go to the middle of the page where the manual "use your ears" method is described.

              Bob, Wb4aPR

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013

                 Hello,

                Yes it's funny stuff but I like to play with it

                and write the programs.

                It's just fun..

                Yes you can hunt with very simple methodes.

                But thats what we did already for decades hi.

                For now I heard someone say APRSIS32.

                needs adjustable colors for the bearing lines.

                73's

                PA3BNX

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013
                  On 9/23/2013 2:56 PM, pa3bnx@... wrote:
                  For now I heard someone say APRSIS32.

                  needs adjustable colors for the bearing lines.

                  Is coloration information included in the DF packet spec?  I'm not in a position just now to look it up.

                  Or should I just randomize it and allow it then to be customized similar to what is done with track line colors?

                • pa3bnx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2013

                     Hello Every Body,

                    No the colors of bearing lines  are not of the APRS specs.

                    But it would be nice if we could adjust the bearing line DF  colors from a menu in APRSIS32

                    So the bearing lines could be adjusted according the visual

                    needs of the APRSIS32 vieuwer

                    So just static color adjustments for bearing lines/segment

                    for all DF plotted active Objects

                    We appreciate very much the Brightness Dim function hi already.

                    Maybe it's already good enough to set the bearingline fore color in the

                    XML file.

                    You also heard of the APRSIS32.XML read option from

                    commandline starts ?

                    I would like to have an option like

                    aprsis32.exe "D:\aprsis32.exe\aprsis32.xml"

                    So everything stays the same

                    But if I want to start APRSIS32.exe from Visual Basic

                    I could do that like

                    Call SHELL ("D:\APRS|Aprsis32.exe "d:\APRS\Aprsis32.xml",vbNormalFocus)

                    I do not want it to use another XML some where else on harddisk

                    But I want the APRSIS32.exe to find it's default XML

                    Normally my software resides in a different map then APRSIS32 does.

                    Just see what I mean

                    Start cmd

                    then type

                    d:\

                    D:\APRSIS\APRSIS32.exe

                    Now it starts fresh.

                    I want to start it with the normal XML file

                    73's

                    PA3BNX

                    Lodewijk Baars

                    Rhenen