Filtering on APRSIS32

  • SV1UY
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
      Hi all,

      Is there a way to change the default filter when we connect to an APRS IGATE to port 14580 from APRSIS32? I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom the map in and out but in my case it remains the same. Even if I go to Configure/General/Add Filter and input a filter (i.e. m/700) to show me stations as far as 700 Kms around me, I don't receive any and when I check the Information Page (port 14501) of any Server I connect to, I always see the default filter!

      Is there a setting somewhere else that I can't find, in order to disable the default filter and enable the new filter I put in Configure/General/Add Filter ?

      73 de Demetre SV1UY
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
        There is no way to disable the default filter, but if you set Configure
        / General / Range to the value you want (700km = 4350 1/10 miles), it
        should use it.

        The Configure / General / Add Filter is simply added to the end of the
        default filter just as its name implies.

        Note that some APRS-IS servers don't update their filter for dynamic
        changes, but will only show the filter used for the initial connection.

        What callsign and server are you using and I'll take a look at what
        you're seeing.

        On 9/19/2013 5:09 AM, SV1UY wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Is there a way to change the default filter when we connect to an APRS IGATE to port 14580 from APRSIS32? I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom the map in and out but in my case it remains the same. Even if I go to Configure/General/Add Filter and input a filter (i.e. m/700) to show me stations as far as 700 Kms around me, I don't receive any and when I check the Information Page (port 14501) of any Server I connect to, I always see the default filter!
        >
        > Is there a setting somewhere else that I can't find, in order to disable the default filter and enable the new filter I put in Configure/General/Add Filter ?
        >
        > 73 de Demetre SV1UY

      • SV1UY
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
          Hi Lynn,

          That was it. I was inputing a filter of m/70 in the General/Add filter not in Range.

          So really Add filter does not work? Why? Does it do something else?

          73 de SV1UY

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
            The Add Filter is appended to the end of the automatic filter so you can
            ADD (not replace) things that you'd like to see. I use u/APW* to get
            all packets originated by APRSISCE/32/MO. You can add o/ISS* to always
            get the ISS object. Or b/<whatever> or p/<whatever> to get buddies or
            prefixes. But the m/ (me) filter is part of the automatic and is driven
            by Range as you now know.

            PS. See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters for a
            description of the automatic filter.

            On 9/19/2013 7:55 AM, SV1UY wrote:
            > Hi Lynn,
            >
            > That was it. I was inputing a filter of m/70 in the General/Add filter not in Range.
            >
            > So really Add filter does not work? Why? Does it do something else?
            >
            > 73 de SV1UY

            >> There is no way to disable the default filter, but if you set Configure
            >> / General / Range to the value you want (700km = 4350 1/10 miles), it
            >> should use it.
            >>
            >> The Configure / General / Add Filter is simply added to the end of the
            >> default filter just as its name implies.
            >>
            >> Note that some APRS-IS servers don't update their filter for dynamic
            >> changes, but will only show the filter used for the initial connection.
            >>
            >> What callsign and server are you using and I'll take a look at what
            >> you're seeing.

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
              Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote…

              > some APRS-IS servers don't update their filter for dynamic
              > changes, but will only show the filter used for the initial connection…

              Actually, none will update the filter just because the user changed the filter entered in the APRS client. They will use the filter sent in the initial connection.

              While the new filter can be implemented by disconnecting and reconnecting to the server, there is another way to update the user's filter on the fly… simply send an APRS message to SERVER with the new filter in it. This will work in all APRS clients.

              73 Keith VE7GDH
              www.ui-view.org
            • Rob Giuliano
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
                I think part of the confusion listed in the original message might be:
                > "...I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom
                   the map in and out but in my case it remains the same. ..."

                I do not thing the filter changes based on the map -
                  EXCEPT if you move the map to a different area, or MULTITRACK stations
                  Then, additional range filetrs (based on the map view) are automatically added/changed
                That is what I recall happenin.

                Is that correct Lynn?
                The ORIGINAL m/<value> filter does NOT change, unless you change the value through:
                  Configure / General / Range

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
                  APRSISCE/32 sends the new filter every time it changes. It always takes
                  effect, but sometimes doesn't show up in the server's status page.

                  From: http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSFilter.aspx

                  > The filter command may be set as part of the login line, as an APRS
                  > message to SERVER, or as a separate comment line (#filter
                  > r/33/-97/200). The prefered method is to set the command as part of
                  > the login which is supported by most current APRS software.

                  APRSISCE/32 sends the filter on the login line. It uses a separate
                  #filter comment line to update it for internal changes and sends it as
                  an APRS message to SERVER if you change and accept a new Add Filter.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
                    Robert - Yes, you are correct with some (ok, a lot of) clarifications:

                    On 9/19/2013 10:56 AM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
                    I think part of the confusion listed in the original message might be:
                    > "...I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom
                       the map in and out but in my case it remains the same. ..."

                    I do not thing the filter changes based on the map -
                      EXCEPT if you move the map to a different area, or MULTITRACK stations
                      Then, additional range filetrs (based on the map view) are automatically added/changed
                    That is what I recall happenin.

                    Almost, except for the main window's Screen / Filter Circle option which will change the range applied based on the scale of the circle.

                    Is that correct Lynn?
                    The ORIGINAL m/<value> filter does NOT change, unless you change the value through:
                      Configure / General / Range

                    That is 100% correct.  It's the automatic r/lat/lon/range term that is modified based on centering or Filter Circle.  And APRS-IS servers only support a single m/ filter term so it's up to them if they grab the automatic one (first) or any (redundant) user-supplied m/ term in the Add Filter string.

                    Pertinent parts of http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters with illuminations:

                    m/dist - My Range filter based on the configured Range (converted from 1/10 mile to km) (Only if Range is non-zero)

                    Yes, do NOT put an m/ filter term in Add Filter.  Set the Range appropriately and the m/ filter will be provided.

                    If you track or center on someone (right click or popup menu/Center), it adds a:

                    f/call/dist - Friend Range filter using the same range (changes to b/call if Range is zero)

                    This is true in the main window only, not multi-trackers (see below).  This allows the main window to continue receiving the centered station as well as your configured range around the centered station.  The m/ filter still applies, so you'll continue receiving stuff around your own station as well.

                    If you drag the main window map around to establish a center other than yourself or a specific station, it adds a (if Range is non-zero):

                    r/lat/lon/dist - Range filter using the map center and the configured range

                    As it says, this is also only for the main window and means that whatever you're looking at (center of circle), you'll automatically receive your range around that point in addition to the range around me compliments of the m/ filter still running.

                    In the main window, if you check Screen / Filter Circle, an r/lat/lon/radius is added where lat/lon are the center of the circle and radius is the radius of the circle. This filter is only added if the circle radius is greater than the configured Range.

                    This is the big one.  If you check Screen / Filter Circle and you zoom way out, you can expect to get LOTS of feed coming in all of a sudden!  It dynamically extends the range used in the previously mentioned filters based on the size of the circle on your screen (radius scale just below the zoom bar).  Use with caution on lower powered machines and/or phones.

                    MultiTrack windows automatically add a Buddy (b/call) for the Track(station). If you check "Range" on that station's popup menu in the MultiTrack window, the buddy will change to a Friend (f/call/dist) filter using the configured Range. Due to APRS-IS server filter limits, only a limited number of MultiTrack windows can be Range tracked at any point in time.

                    So, what this says is that by default, a MultiTrack following a call will only create a Buddy (b/) filter for that call and will NOT automatically pull in stuff around that station.  However, in the MultiTrack's station popup menu, you'll see a Range option (unless you've already got too many active) which will change the Buddy (b/) to a Friend (f/) and add the configured range to that filter term.

                    So, the general rule of thumb is that you probably don't need to know anything about filters, but simply configure the Range and select appropriate menu options to see what you want to see.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                    PS.  For completeness:

                    If you have a remembered MultiTrack that is not known, a window will open that is "Await(CALL)". Because APRSISCE/32 doesn't know if CALL is a station or an object, it will add both a b/CALL and o/CALL to your filter string until the station is heard from.

                    Yes, even while Awaiting() a station, APRSISCE/32 will put enough into the filter to (hopefully) ensure that you'll receive their packets.  And the o/CALL should have an * on it unless the object being filtered is exactly 9 characters in length (a "feature" of the o/ filter term).

                    PPS.  If you want to watch the actual APRSISCE/32 filter in use, open and enable the Filter trace log via View / Logs / Filter.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
                      On 9/19/2013 5:09 AM, SV1UY wrote:
                      > Is there a way to change the default filter when we connect to an APRS IGATE to port 14580 from APRSIS32? I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom the map in and out but in my case it remains the same.

                      Demetre, can you provide a link and quote to where you read this on the
                      Wiki?

                      The filter range changing is only true if you check Screen / Range
                      Circle in the main window. This defaults to not checked because it can
                      cause an unexpected flood of data if you inadvertently (or purposefully)
                      zoom out to see the whole planet. In this case, your filtered feed will
                      approach (but not quite be the same as) a full feed.

                      PS. There's bait in my statement above. I wonder if anyone will see it
                      and ask for clarification...
                    • SV1UY
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
                        Will try to find it again Lynn and let you know.

                        73 de SV1UY

                        > On 9/19/2013 5:09 AM, SV1UY wrote:
                        > > Is there a way to change the default filter when we connect to an APRS IGATE to port 14580 from APRSIS32? I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom the map in and out but in my case it remains the same.
                        >
                        > Demetre, can you provide a link and quote to where you read this on the
                        > Wiki?
                      • SV1UY
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 19, 2013
                          Here it is Lynn,

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                            Okay, and what part says "changes automatically as we zoom the map in
                            and out" that wasn't doing that for you?

                            Or what part didn't you think was working as documented (and illuminated
                            in my earlier message) when you tried it?

                            On 9/20/2013 1:47 AM, SV1UY wrote:
                            > Here it is Lynn,
                            >
                            > http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters
                            >
                            > 73 de SV1UY

                            >> On 9/19/2013 5:09 AM, SV1UY wrote:
                            >>> Is there a way to change the default filter when we connect to an APRS IGATE to port 14580 from APRSIS32? I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom the map in and out but in my case it remains the same.
                            >> Demetre, can you provide a link and quote to where you read this on the
                            >> Wiki?
                            >>
                            >> The filter range changing is only true if you check Screen / Range
                            >> Circle in the main window. This defaults to not checked because it can
                            >> cause an unexpected flood of data if you inadvertently (or purposefully)
                            >> zoom out to see the whole planet. In this case, your filtered feed will
                            >> approach (but not quite be the same as) a full feed.

                            >> PS. There's bait in my statement above. I wonder if anyone will see it
                            >> and ask for clarification...

                          • SV1UY
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                              Hi,

                              Maybe I understand wrong Lynn but these do not work for me.

                              Especially the m/dist filter. The only thing that works is altering the 1/10th of a mile numbers.

                              Also where is Screen/Range Circle? I can only see Screen/Filter Circle. Is that what you mean?

                              Anyway, I am not here to complain about your program, I am only asking how it works since I was mislead a bit by the WiKi. After all isn't this why this yahoogroup exists?

                              In any case your program is one of the best one today, only that it is a bit tricky sometimes to operate and setup, but we can live with this!

                              Keep up the good work OM.

                              73 de Demetre SV1UY

                              ---these puzzled me a bit----------------------------------------
                              m/dist - My Range filter based on the configured Range (converted from 1/10 mile to km) (Only if Range is non-zero)

                              If you track or center on someone (right click or popup menu/Center) in the main window, it adds a:

                              f/call/dist - Friend Range filter using the same range (changes to b/call if Range is zero)

                              This filter will be removed when you are no longer tracking a callsign.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                                There can only be ONE m/{distance} filter sent to the IS system.
                                That filter in APRSISce/32 comes from the <Configure> / <General> / {Range> {value in 1/10 miles}
                                 the <Configure> / <General> / <Add Filter>
                                  can be used for ANY OTHER FILTER EXCEPT a "me" range filter of "m/{value}"

                                In short, you may be able to create a filter in
                                 <Configure> / <General> / {Range> 0    {zero}        disable this "m/" filter
                                 <Configure> / <General> / <Add Filter> f/SV1UY/70
                                   which would "theoretically" be the same as an "m/" filter with your 70 km range
                                   I don't think the system would ignore a friend filter with your own call

                                Demetre - not only is it "why this group exists", but with every explanation, more people understand.
                                  I have learned from your discussion with Lynn as well.
                                  That is why it is IMPORTANT to read each and everty comment posted in a light of learning.
                                   emphasis is for emphasis (clarity), and not in anger or criticism

                                Robert Giuliano
                                KB8RCO

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                                  On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM, SV1UY <sv1uy@...> wrote:

                                  > Anyway, I am not here to complain about your program, I am only asking
                                  > how it works since I was mislead a bit by the WiKi. After all isn't this why
                                  > this yahoogroup exists?

                                  There are others interested in understanding why you are feeling
                                  mislead by the information in the wiki. If we can understand what is
                                  leading you astray, we can edit the wiki and make sure that the
                                  information within the wiki is correct.

                                  Help us help you understand, and we can take that knowledge and make
                                  the wiki better.

                                  Don't look at the message exchange as confrontational, we need to
                                  communicate both sides clearly so that we can determine where the
                                  miscommunication is happening.

                                • SV1UY
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                                    Hi Roberto,

                                    Thanks a lot for explanation. I realise now that the most important thing is the Configure/Range filter with the 1/10th mile increments. The Screen/Filter Circle still does not work for me, but it does not matter if I can control things with the range filter.

                                    I agree with you that if we ask in the group others will also benefit. That is the very reason all YahooGroups exist. I could have asked Lynn direct, but I do not think it is appropriate.

                                    Thanks again for your post.

                                    73 de Demetre SV1UY

                                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

                                    > There can only be ONE m/{distance} filter sent to the IS system.
                                    > That filter in APRSISce/32 comes from the <Configure> / <General> / {Range> {value in 1/10 miles}
                                    >  the <Configure> / <General> / <Add Filter>
                                    >   can be used for ANY OTHER FILTER EXCEPT a "me" range filter of "m/{value}"
                                    >
                                    > In short, you may be able to create a filter in
                                    >  <Configure> / <General> / {Range> 0    {zero}        disable this "m/" filter
                                    >  <Configure> / <General> / <Add Filter> f/SV1UY/70
                                    >    which would "theoretically" be the same as an "m/" filter with your 70 km range
                                    >    I don't think the system would ignore a friend filter with your own call
                                    >
                                    > Demetre - not only is it "why this group exists", but with every explanation, more people understand.
                                    >   I have learned from your discussion with Lynn as well.
                                    >   That is why it is IMPORTANT to read each and everty comment posted in a light of learning.
                                    >    emphasis is for emphasis (clarity), and not in anger or criticism
                                    >
                                    > Robert Giuliano
                                    > KB8RCO
                                  • SV1UY
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                                      Hi Robert and group,

                                      Seems that when I set the Range to 0, the Screen/Filter Circle works nicely and I can see the change taking effect in realtime. This is what I was missing.
                                      I see now that this is also mentioned in the WiKi. Maybe it was my oversight yesterday, but I see that the page was edited yesterday not sure what was edited though.

                                      In any case, I have now solved this mystery! hi hi hi!

                                      Thanks everyone for their posts.

                                      73 and Good APRSing
                                      de Demetre SV1UY
                                    • yahoo

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                                          Hi Lynn,

                                          Zoom-in and zoom-out change of filtering works only if we put 0 1/10th miles in Configure/Range/Range and also put nothing in Configure/General/AddFilter, provided Screen/Filter Circle is also checked.

                                          73 de Demetre SV1UY

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                                            I'll look into this. That's not what it's supposed to do. Thanks for
                                            noticing and reporting the problem.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 20, 2013
                                              The Wiki page was edited to clarify the features that only work from the
                                              main window, an improvement that is a direct result of your questioning
                                              and my illumination e-mail.