RE: Liking APRSISCE, Setting up a satgate.

  • jdog_11358
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2013

      I had a low pass coming and forgot to include my name in my above post. LOL The name is Jeremy.

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <z24cavyred@...> wrote:

      Greetings, KC8MZP here. So far I am loving the capability of APRSISCE. It definitely has plenty of room for expansion in the future. I played around with running an IGATE for awhile in my neighborhood. I don't have a whole lot of APRS packet activity in my area, but there is some. Now I have it set up as a sat-gate and I believe that I will leave this up and running as long as I can. I always loved the sound-card packet idea, and I'm doing my best to get back into amateur radio (as the funds permit). I see something behind Bob's creation of APRS. A great invention IMHO.

       Greetings aside, what is a good way to set up a beacon(timing of one) for  hosting a fixed sat-gate station? It would be nice to increase the beacon timing a bit when the birds are overhead.... ;)
    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2013
        At 07:25 AM 2013-09-15, z24cavyred@... wrote:
          Greetings, KC8MZP here. So far I am loving the capability of APRSISCE. It definitely has plenty of room for expansion in the future. I played around with running an IGATE for awhile in my neighborhood. I don't have a whole lot of APRS packet activity in my area, but there is some.

        I do see two igates in your area, N4XS-4 and KC8MZP-1, so you running an igate is nice but not required.   Does the APRS frequency sound overloaded in your area with lots of FM buzzing noise or is there lots of dead air time?  Just curious because I see three digipeaters in your vicinity so I'm wondering if that's one too many.

         Now I have it set up as a sat-gate and I believe that I will leave this up and running as long as I can. I always loved the sound-card packet idea, and I'm doing my best to get back into amateur radio (as the funds permit). I see something behind Bob's creation of APRS. A great invention IMHO.

        I'm not up on all the details of satellite stuff but I think the folks who do like playing with satellites really do want more igates scattered around the world so that's an excellent idea.   http://www.ariss.net/   I don't know if beaconing is even wanted on the satellite frequency.    UISS appears to be the software of choice for running as a satellite igate.   The author does like some money for the program for useful features so I was happy to send him some.

        Tony   VA6OO

      • Don Poaps
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2013
          Greetings

          You can use a Kenwood ht to communicate to the ISS. Do a search on ISS Fan club.
          Set up. Take out APRS. Add R0ISS. Wide1-1 info online

          They do need Igates. ISS is digipeater.

          Don va7 dgp

          --
          Don Poaps