Transatlantic Balloon

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 12 12:18 PM

      Currently being tracked on APRS KJ4GQV also has HF tracking RTTY on 14.0956MHz 110 Baud ASCII RTTY 8-bits no parity 1 stop bit:

      DL-FLdigi hab will feed reports to http://spacenear.us

      http://www.clusterballoon.com/

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

    • Dan M0MST
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 12 12:19 PM
        Will it be using the us aprs frequency?

        If so will switch my raspberry pi on

        Dan

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 12 12:26 PM
          Yes, it is running on 144.390 for AFSK APRS as KJ4GQV.

          I'm polling the habitat.habhub.com database (fed by spacenear.us, I think) and generating an HB-NG0X APRS object from those HF reports, although there's only been 5 of them so far with the most recent over 3 hours ago.

          Lynn (D) - K4JERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

          KJ4GQV is only 56 seconds old in this screen shot:

          On 9/12/2013 3:19 PM, Dan M0MST wrote:
          Will it be using the us aprs frequency?

          If so will switch my raspberry pi on

          Dan

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 12 Sep 2013, at 20:18, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

          Currently being tracked on APRS KJ4GQV also has HF tracking RTTY on 14.0956MHz 110 Baud ASCII RTTY 8-bits no parity 1 stop bit:

          DL-FLdigi hab will feed reports to http://spacenear.us

          http://www.clusterballoon.com/

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        • Dave / N4GMU
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12 12:31 PM

            Dave / N4GMU

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 12 12:55 PM
              But a LONG way to go at only 55mph!

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of ARPSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

              On 9/12/2013 3:31 PM, Dave / N4GMU wrote:

              Dave / N4GMU

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 12 1:10 PM

                They are using the North American Frequency of 144.390MHz As it’s a manned flight there is a possibility they will switch to 144.800MHz when closer to Europe .

                I don’t have info on that though.

                If you have the capability of connecting an HF radio to your computer, you could use DL-FLdigi available here http://ukhas.org.uk/projects:dl-fldigi

                All you need to do is point the software to your sound card, enter your location, download flight docs and select the flight and the decode settings will be done for you

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 12 1:53 PM
                  Are they really using the WSPR Frequency Steve?

                  I’ve fired up dl-fldigi for HAB but all I’m hearing is WSPR with heavy QRM Sad smile

                  73, Colin M0XSD.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 12 2:03 PM
                    I would have thought the speed limit would at least be 75 in that area.

                    Fred N7FMH

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12 2:22 PM

                      No they are using 110 baud RTTY it is close the  WSPR  frequencies however

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12 3:16 PM

                        For those wondering what HB-NG0X object is

                        I was asking Lynn if he could code something to grab data from the habitat database, and eventually control a rotator. Mainly so I could auto track UK 70cm USB RTTY flights, and so could others of course.

                        Part of that was asking for the option to feed the data to APRS.

                        As per usual with me if I request something I find as much information as I can on the subject, I think it unfair to ask someone to add something or even create new software. Without doing my best to give as much info as possible.

                        As luck with have it, having supplied the info a few days ago this trans atlantic attempt happened and Lynn was able to code quickly to put HF RTTY reports back to APRS quickly.

                        So HB-NG0X is HF reports injected into APRS, hence why it’s not in the same location sometimes as the actual received APRS KJ4GQV

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 12 4:14 PM
                          I there an easy way to generate APRS object based on RF data received in dl-fldigi?
                          I work with balloons (UHF and HF) as much as possible and it would be interesting to put object update according to each dl-fldigi update received directly via RF port.
                          --
                          Regards,

                          Krzysztof
                          SQ5NWI

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 12 5:03 PM

                              Ask Lynn very nicely.

                              I asked Lynn much the same question and supplied as much info as I could, which amounted to how to access the Habbitat database, and how to control a rotator on the 2 common formats. Plus other bits and pieces

                              As it happened the trans atlantic flight happened and as it interested him he coded something quickly.

                              I would like to pull data direct from DL-FLdigi, but have no info on that other than trying to figure out the code.

                              So at the moment I would say ask Lynn to include your flights in his current very early coding.

                              It really depends on Lynn , I find researching things and giving as much info as possible works, so I would go for seeing how Dl-FlDigi outputs flight data and send him the info.

                              Lynn is obviously busy and coding for free for the likes of us. Which is great.

                              I hope offering great ice cream to his wife works but I am up to a tanker full of it now