Moving Fixed Weather Stations

  • Dan Rimell
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 350 KB
    Sorry I am bombarding the group at the moment

    I have noticed this for a while and I hope Im not the only person who has noticed this.

    I have attached the jpeg screen shot showing 2 weather stations in Cheltenham that seem to be "moving" or to have "moved"

    Is this just me or is it something I am missing

    Thanks
    Dan
    M0MST
    Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
      If you're referring to the lines coming off of these two:

      those aren't tracks, but they're "Wind Barbs" controlled via Configure / Screen  / Wind Barbs.

      You can read about what they represent at:

      http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/maps/sfcobs/wnd.rxml

      On 9/8/2013 1:22 PM, Dan Rimell wrote:
      Sorry I am bombarding the group at the moment

      I have noticed this for a while and I hope Im not the only person who has noticed this.

      I have attached the jpeg screen shot showing 2 weather stations in Cheltenham that seem to be "moving" or to have "moved"

      Is this just me or is it something I am missing

      Thanks
      Dan
      M0MST

    • Dan M0MST
      Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
        Doh I knew it was simple makes sense now

        Very good actually

        Dan

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 8 Sep 2013, at 18:33, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

        If you're referring to the lines coming off of these two:

        <bjehdbgd.png>

          Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013

            As long as you are not relegated to Michael Fish!

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987

            Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way; well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't, but having said that, actually, the weather will become very windy, but most of the strong winds, incidentally, will be down over Spain and across into France

            Shortly afterwards we had Hurricane force winds

            Steve Daniels

            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

            Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
              On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Dan Rimell <m0mst@...> wrote:

              > I have noticed this for a while and I hope Im not the only person who has noticed this.
              >
              > I have attached the jpeg screen shot showing 2 weather stations in Cheltenham that seem to be "moving" or to have "moved"
              >
              > Is this just me or is it something I am missing

              It's just you, and you are missing something! :)

              You're probably looking at the wind barbs that are showing wind
              direction and speed, and thinking they are a track laid down from
              movement.

              There's nothing in the wiki on that yet, but Lynn added that in a
              while ago and it has been discussed here previously. Search the
              archives for wind barbs.

              (Here's one of those instances when you need to know the term to search on!)