Kenwood D710/D72 Digipeat

  • m0mst
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
      Hi All

      Been an avid user of this software from its near start and must say the Dev deserves great respect

      I use it quite often for Raynet events which has started this question for me.

      I have setup up digipeat from wide1-1,wide2-2

      However in the digi log I get the message that kenwood does not support digi.

      I have managed to get it working via linux so I wonder if this is a software or a TNC limitation.

      Thanks All
      Dan
      M0MST
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013

        What do you mean by

        "I have setup up digipeat from wide1-1,wide2-2"

        The proper way is to set UITRACE to WIDE which will then enable WIDEn-N digipeating .Or, if you are a fill-in digi only, then set UIDIGI to WIDE1-1.

        But if you are putting WIDE2-2 into UIDIGI then you are forceably truncating all users to one hop only.

        Bob, Wb4APR

        On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM, <m0mst@...> wrote:

        Hi All

        Been an avid user of this software from its near start and must say the Dev deserves great respect

        I use it quite often for Raynet events which has started this question for me.

        I have setup up digipeat from wide1-1,wide2-2

        However in the digi log I get the message that kenwood does not support digi.

        I have managed to get it working via linux so I wonder if this is a software or a TNC limitation.

        Thanks All
        Dan
        M0MST

      • Adam Mahnke
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
          I believe he's referring to the software settings.

          I'm not positive, but for some reason I'm thinking APRSIS32 only supports one digi setting. And I didn't think it worked with the 710 at all, but I could be wrong

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013

            A little speculation... Lynn will have confirm.

            If the D710 is in APRS mode and APRSISCE/32 is connected to it in that mode, that's not a KISS connection. For the program to digipeat, it needs a KISS connection.

            Bob...

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013

                Hi Lynn that is as I thought

                you did mention Kwd710(APRS) is this the same for Kwd710(PKT)

                I was (looking incorrect now) the impression that the PKT mode is a fully compliant KISS AX.25 TNC

                I have just setup my raspberry pi running Xastir and that supports digi via PKT mode (although only testing wide1-1 at the moment)

                Dan

                M0MST

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
                  Yes, it applies to APRSISCE/32's Kwd710(Pkt) port type as well which also operates in a CONVerse mode using the MYCALL, UNPROTO ... VIA, and CONV commands.

                  The KISS (not Simply(KISS)) is the Kenwood mode that puts the radio into KISS mode and supports digipeating.

                  Watch out for different definitions of Packet mode.  The radio must be in Packet mode to be switched into KISS which I suspect is what xastir is doing internally.   Otherwise, check the output packets of the digipeater and make sure that callsigns are being inserted and that path components are being marked used (*).