Sending a message to a group

  • g4ilo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2010
      I would like to send an APRS message that would be received by anyone who wants to receive it. The only way I know how to do this is for everyone who wants to receive the message to tell me their call-ssid and I send the message individually to each of them.

      I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to send a message to a group name and individuals can then choose to receive those messages. For example it appears people can choose to receive NWS messages. But I can't find any information on how to do it. Is my recollection correct, and if so how do I go about it? And is anything special needed to originate a message to the group as distinct from receiving it?

      Julian, G4ILO
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2010
        The only "group" APRS messaging feature that I'm aware of is via the
        CQSRVR. If you and everyone else send a message to the CQSRVR with an
        agreed-up group ID, every subsequent message sent to that group will be
        sent to all members. However, CQSRVR does have a minimum time limit for
        any single message sender to the group.

        See CQSRVR documentation at:

        http://www.aprs-is.net/CQSrvr.aspx

        Maybe there's another "group messaging" feature in the Kenwood firmware
        or UI-View, but I'm not currently aware of it and haven't noticed it in
        any of the APRS specs that I've read.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2010
          Ok, I thought about this some more and remembered something about
          message groups which was sort of mixed up with private nets in my mind.
          I went back to the aprs101.pdf spec and found the following on page 72:

          Message Groups:
          An APRS receiving station can specify special Message Groups, containing
          lists of callsigns that the station will read messages from (in addition
          to messages addressed to itself). Such Message Groups are defined
          internally by the user at the receiving station, and are used to filter
          received message traffic.

          The receiving station will read all messages with the Addressee field
          set to ALL, QST or CQ. The receiving station will only acknowledge
          messages addressed to itself, and not any messages received which were
          addressed to any group callsign.

          Note: The receiving station will acknowledge all messages addressed to
          itself, even if it is operating in an Alternate Net (see Chapter 4: APRS
          Data in the AX.25 Destination and Source Address Fields).

          If I read this correctly, I would need to add "additional received
          message" callsigns which will cause any received messages for any of
          those callsigns to be displayed. I've also read that the Kenwood radios
          automatically display any messages addressed to the base callsign
          regardless of SSID for your own call. Finally, it seems that ALL, QST,
          and CQ are always on the "additional received message" callsign list.

          I'll add this to the ToDo list and see what I can do when I get around
          to beefing up the received message and bulletin section of the client.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          g4ilo wrote:
          > I would like to send an APRS message that would be received by anyone who wants to receive it. The only way I know how to do this is for everyone who wants to receive the message to tell me their call-ssid and I send the message individually to each of them.
          >
          > I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to send a message to a group name and individuals can then choose to receive those messages. For example it appears people can choose to receive NWS messages. But I can't find any information on how to do it. Is my recollection correct, and if so how do I go about it? And is anything special needed to originate a message to the group as distinct from receiving it?
          >
          > Julian, G4ILO

        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2010
            Hi Lynn.

            I have done some more experimentation and it appears that what I want to be able to do is receive bulletins. If my server sends a message to "BLNWOTA" then it shows up under "Other groups" in the Bulletin board page of aprs.fi.

            In UI-View32 the only way I could get the bulletins to appear is to add a budlist filter for the call the bulletins are being sent from. If that is the correct way to do it then that's fine.

            If I do this in APRSISCE I see the call the bulletin was from appear in the scrolling window but nothing happens when I click on it. Ideally it would be nice to have bulletins pop up with an audible alert just like messages do, but obviously without the options to reply to them.

            Julian, G4ILO
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2010
              Julian,

              I'll be adding Bulletin support when I add the ability to re-view
              received messages and generally beef up the messaging section. I've
              re-read the spec and it appears that clients are actually supposed to
              display ALL messages received for the configured callsign regardless of
              the -SSID in use. It is only supposed to ACK messages that match the -SSID.

              So, while I'm opening up the message reception to provide for that (and
              playing with APRS-IS filters to see if the proper messages are
              delivered), I'll add bulletin support.

              I've never seen how UI-View does it, but I'm considering a "Bulletin
              Board" dialog that has a drop-down or multiple tabs to see the bulletin
              message lines received from each individual sender. I know this
              violates one of Bob's intentions of "anyone being able to overwrite
              anyone else's bulletin line", but that spec was done before APRS-IS
              merged vastly diverse geographic regions into a single client view.

              Not sure when I'll get to it, but now that it's been mentioned, I'll
              boost it up the list.

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              PS. A t/m filter should deliver ALL messages and bulletins to your
              client since a bulletin is just a message addressed to a particular
              callsign prefix (BLN).