[aprsisce] APRSIS32 with DUAL PORT TNC

  • Don Poaps
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013
      Has any one gotten the SCS-PTC 11ex to work.  The info I've gotten doesn't work. Using Aprisis32 with the Pactor modem directly if the CMD XML. The TNC just sits there.

      73

      Don va7dgp

      On Thursday, August 29, 2013, Rob Giuliano wrote:

      The current implementation of APRSISce/32 can only transmit on the FIRST port of a multiplort TNC.

      If it is possible to change "which port" is the "FIRST PORT", then you could choose between them that way, but I don't know of anyone doing that.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

        --
        Don Poaps
        New Westminster, BC

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013

          Actually Lynn for RPN and APRSIS32 Jerry, oops I mean Helge would be the person to get hold of.

          He has done a fair amount of work for the WIKI, admittedly not on RPN. But there are references to APRSIS32 on http://robust-packet.net/ a lot of which is written by Helge DF8LS .

          His English is better than mine

          Just tell him Tommy sent you.

          (A German with a sense of humour who would have known)

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013
            That what I'm talking about. I added the info that a British Ham had for SCS-PTCusb and added the info to the CMD XML for Aprisis32.

            Nothing happen after I set up the port in configure. I will check to see how I can change the port from 0 to Port 1.  Or 2 whatever the port.

            73

            Don

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013

              I would suggest you contact Helge DF8LS , he did some German language setup videos we have on the APRSIS32 WIKI. For APRSIS32. But he also has put up a lot of info on http://robust-packet.net/

              He is a very knowledgeable person on the subject.

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                I'd be interested in the results. I have to sort out my KPC9612 for UHF 9600 APRS first, but eventually I'd like to be able to have APRSIS32 be able to control it.

                Adam
                KC2ANT

                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                  I have a Kantronics 9612 Dual Port TNC and would like to use both ports and port switching to use ALL the features of each port within APRSIS32.

                  In the meanwhile, was wondering how many others have this venerable 9612+ TNC available with its dual ports that can be used on VHF/VHF or VHF/UHF at 1200/9600 baud.

                  I also have a Kantronics KAM+ TNC with dual port capability on HF and VHF (300/1200 baud) that uses a similar 1/2 comm port addressing the dual features in terminal mode as the 9612+. Yes, APRS lives on HF, like the 30M band!

                  These separate dual port TNCs might be able to be used IF there were a terminal mode of APRSIS32 in addition to the favored KISS system.

                  Rather than rewrite a good program, it might be best to add a subroutine for terminal mode use of APRSIS32 for dual port TNC with editable parameters using the port one/port two syntax for TNC setup (eg. 1200/9600 or 1200/1200 for radio transmit baud in the case of the 9612, or 300/12000 for the KAM series).

                  Transmit port switching seems to be the only issue within APRSIS32.

                  Just a thought to help our program author, who probably has neither dual port TNC available for experimentation.

                  73 de Pat KC6VVT

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                    I would also like to see dual (and multi) port TNCs fully supported and
                    yes, you are correct that I have no such TNCs for testing.

                    However, can you please detail to me how a terminal mode can make this
                    better? Please start with a detailed explanation of what your
                    definition of "terminal mode" is because my definition is a mode where
                    what you type goes to the TNC and what the TNC says back shows up in
                    your window totally bypassing the port type support of APRSISCE/32.
                    This mode is planned and would allow the user to issue commands and
                    whatnot to the TNC without shutting down APRSISCE/32 and firing up an
                    external "terminal" emulator.

                    You are also correct in that APRSISCE/32 can receive (within the
                    supported protocols) from all ports, but (currently) only supports
                    transmitting on port 0 or the first port.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                    On 8/30/2013 9:34 AM, Pat Ryan KC6VVT wrote:

                    > I have a Kantronics 9612 Dual Port TNC and would like to use both ports and port switching to use ALL the features of each port within APRSIS32.
                    >
                    > In the meanwhile, was wondering how many others have this venerable 9612+ TNC available with its dual ports that can be used on VHF/VHF or VHF/UHF at 1200/9600 baud.
                    >
                    > I also have a Kantronics KAM+ TNC with dual port capability on HF and VHF (300/1200 baud) that uses a similar 1/2 comm port addressing the dual features in terminal mode as the 9612+. Yes, APRS lives on HF, like the 30M band!
                    >
                    > These separate dual port TNCs might be able to be used IF there were a terminal mode of APRSIS32 in addition to the favored KISS system.
                    >
                    > Rather than rewrite a good program, it might be best to add a subroutine for terminal mode use of APRSIS32 for dual port TNC with editable parameters using the port one/port two syntax for TNC setup (eg. 1200/9600 or 1200/1200 for radio transmit baud in the case of the 9612, or 300/12000 for the KAM series).
                    >
                    > Transmit port switching seems to be the only issue within APRSIS32.
                    >
                    > Just a thought to help our program author, who probably has neither dual port TNC available for experimentation.
                    >
                    > 73 de Pat KC6VVT

                    >> As was stated by someone and I'm confirming: APRSISCE/32 supports
                    >> receiving from all ports of a multi-port TNC and AGW's PE, but currently
                    >> only supports transmitting on the first port of said devices/software.
                    >> I need to accomplish a rather extensive restructuring of the internal
                    >> port handling to relieve this constraint which is planned and on the
                    >> ToDo list, but has not yet been done.

                    >> On 8/29/2013 2:53 AM, SV1UY wrote:
                    >>> Hi all,
                    >>>
                    >>> Has anyone managed to make APRSIS32 work with a DUAL PORT TNC, such as a Kantronics KPC-9612 or an SCS PTC-II?
                    >>>
                    >>> How do you make APRSIS32 use the port you want? i.e. the 2nd port? What are the commands I have to put in the XML file?
                    >>>
                    >>> I have both these modems and I can make APRSIS32 send packets only via the 1st port! No luck in using the 2nd port.
                    >>>
                    >>> Any ideas/xml examples please?
                    >>>
                    >>> 73 de Demetre SV1UY

                  • Pat Ryan KC6VVT
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                      Lynn, that terminal mode is what I envision! For others:

                      Assuming one would exit the APRSIS32 programs KISS mode with the magic 3 series of CTRL C sent to the TNC first.
                      To reset the TNC Command Mode, the operator could send CMD.
                      and the TNC will return

                      Perhaps the TNC when reset goes to a simple TNC Mode as in Kantronics models, and you would like ALL TNC commands available to tweak? At the Command Prompt (CMD>) type:
                      INTF TERM <Return>
                      The Kantronic TNC should then be in the true Terminal Mode and not the simple terminal mode with its limited command set as may happen with the RESET of all parameters.

                      While in true Terminal mode, the operator would then be able to issue manual TNC commands by placing the TNC into Command Mode (as opposed to CONVERSE mode for sending packets).

                      As I recall, if in CONVERSE, send CMD to the TNC. The TNC will return

                      to show the TNC is ready for commands. Otherwise it wll be

                      with a selected preface like MyCall.

                      INTF TERM will allow entry of a permitted AX25 Level II TNC command to be stored in the TNC, unlike the KISS mode. While in this Command Mode, all TNC Parameters may be adjusted by the user manually sending one command at a time.
                      e.g MYCall KC6VVT
                      e.g. BTExt Exited APRSIS32 program for direct packet connection.

                      With a Dual Port TNC the command syntax would be the command with a port1/port2 paramenter.
                      An example of setting two separate ID parameters MIGHT be
                      e.g. MYCall KC6VVT/KC6VVT-4
                      Note that the TNC would do a soft reset after this command. That might take the TNC back to Converse mode indicated by:

                      or stay in Command Mode

                      This toggle is set by another command line which escapes me for the moment. To return from CMD> to CONVERSE > while in the Terminal command mode, send the command 'k', as I recall. Toggle with CMD again to return to COMMAND mode.

                      Another Kam+ or 9612 type dual port command would be setting a different Baud rate for the separate radio ports
                      e.g Baud 1200/9600

                      Note that transmit port switching is available, but will have to research that command to switch ports. , it has been too long to recall accurately. The Tilde ~ was used with the KAM+ to toggle or set the transmit port. I seem to recall.

                      Until APRSIS32 program for Kantronics TNC users has a selectIble Terminal Mode, if ever, I should imagine that the user may elect to manually restart APRSIS32 to return to the TNC KISS mode. Otherwise the manual TNC command line would be
                      INTF KISS

                      I am no programmer, but add that APRS DOS allowed APRS program exit and program return to tweak TNC settings, or even connect directly with a nearby station or PBBS on a hot QSY! Editing command lines could be done with setup of APRS DOS files by menu choices otherwise.

                      Your mileage my vary, as any adjusted TNC settings may be lost if the program rewrites the manually changed command parameter. In that case, the offline file edit function would allow continued use of a refined and extended Kantronics TNC parameter ONLY IF permitted in the limited command set of the Kantronics KISS mode until TERMINAL use is permitted as a choice with APRSIS32 program! See my remarks on Kenwood radio built in TNC elsewhere here that are using a simple TERMINAL Mode for a work-around..

                      73 de Pat KC6VVT

                      > I would also like to see dual (and multi) port TNCs fully supported and
                      > yes, you are correct that I have no such TNCs for testing.
                      >
                      > However, can you please detail to me how a terminal mode can make this
                      > better? Please start with a detailed explanation of what your
                      > definition of "terminal mode" is because my definition is a mode where
                      > what you type goes to the TNC and what the TNC says back shows up in
                      > your window totally bypassing the port type support of APRSISCE/32.
                      > This mode is planned and would allow the user to issue commands and
                      > whatnot to the TNC without shutting down APRSISCE/32 and firing up an
                      > external "terminal" emulator.
                      >
                      > You are also correct in that APRSISCE/32 can receive (within the
                      > supported protocols) from all ports, but (currently) only supports
                      > transmitting on port 0 or the first port.
                      >
                      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                      >

                      > On 8/30/2013 9:34 AM, Pat Ryan KC6VVT wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have a Kantronics 9612 Dual Port TNC and would like to use both ports and port switching to use ALL the features of each port within APRSIS32.
                      > >
                      > > In the meanwhile, was wondering how many others have this venerable 9612+ TNC available with its dual ports that can be used on VHF/VHF or VHF/UHF at 1200/9600 baud.
                      > >
                      > > I also have a Kantronics KAM+ TNC with dual port capability on HF and VHF (300/1200 baud) that uses a similar 1/2 comm port addressing the dual features in terminal mode as the 9612+. Yes, APRS lives on HF, like the 30M band!
                      > >
                      > > These separate dual port TNCs might be able to be used IF there were a terminal mode of APRSIS32 in addition to the favored KISS system.
                      > >
                      > > Rather than rewrite a good program, it might be best to add a subroutine for terminal mode use of APRSIS32 for dual port TNC with editable parameters using the port one/port two syntax for TNC setup (eg. 1200/9600 or 1200/1200 for radio transmit baud in the case of the 9612, or 300/12000 for the KAM series).
                      > >
                      > > Transmit port switching seems to be the only issue within APRSIS32.
                      > >
                      > > Just a thought to help our program author, who probably has neither dual port TNC available for experimentation.
                      > >
                      > > 73 de Pat KC6VVT
                      > >

                      > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@> wrote:
                      > >> As was stated by someone and I'm confirming: APRSISCE/32 supports
                      > >> receiving from all ports of a multi-port TNC and AGW's PE, but currently
                      > >> only supports transmitting on the first port of said devices/software.
                      > >> I need to accomplish a rather extensive restructuring of the internal
                      > >> port handling to relieve this constraint which is planned and on the
                      > >> ToDo list, but has not yet been done.
                      > >>
                      > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                    • Rob Giuliano
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                        Don't know how others implement this -> with I am SURE is the major hurdle.
                        The info I have is:

                        STREAM INFO:
                        HOST to PC Format:  FEND  PORT  Stream  Data  FEND
                           FEND  - 0x0C START of 'packet'
                            replace with 0xDB 0xDC to sent 0x0C
                            replace with 0xDB 0xDS to sent 0x0C
                           CMD  - 0x43 letter 'C' for command
                           0x44 letter 'D' for Data
                           0x51 letter 'Q' for Quit (exit HosT mode)
                           Port  - 0x01 port identifier (KPC3 has only 1 port)
                           Stream - 0x## Stream identifier (
                           0x00 Port UNPROTO, or unused
                           0x41 Port 'A'
                           0x42 Port 'B'
                           0x43 Port 'C'
                          example:  send 0x0C 0x01 0x43 TRIES 0x0c
                                               would be Cmd, port 1, stream C, TRIES and would return RETRY count on stream C
                           Data  - 0x## ASCII character value that are sent as "data"
                           FEND  - 0x0C END of 'packet'

                        PC to HOST Format:  FEND  PORT  Stream  Data  FEND
                           FEND  - 0x0C START of 'packet'
                            replace with 0xDB 0xDC to sent 0x0C
                            replace with 0xDB 0xDS to sent 0x0C
                           STATUS - 0x43 letter 'C' response for sent command ( with no data means command accepted)
                           0x44 letter 'D' response for sent Data
                           0x4D letter 'M' for Monitored (not requested) Data
                           0x52 letter 'R' Connect Request
                           0x53 letter 'S' for Soft reset (FEND FEND S00 FEND)
                           0x54 letter 'T' TRACE

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                          So, if I understand you correctly, you're not saying that the terminal
                          mode has anything to do with supporting a dual port TNC, but is simply
                          to allow the user to tweak the TNC more easily than exit, terminal,
                          re-enter APRSISCE/32. Just wanting to make sure I've got it all the way
                          you intended.

                          And the <Open/CloseCmd>s are intended to be able to script anything that
                          doesn't require conditional branches. If one of the commands triggers a
                          TNC reset, then you need to extend the timeout to allow for that. The
                          default <Open/CloseCmd>s provided by some of the port types are just
                          that, defaults. The user of esoteric (let's face it, there's fewer Dual
                          Port TNCs in use than Kenwood APRS radios) TNCs is currently required to
                          edit a text file (albeit XML) to set up the proper commands. Eventually
                          I hope to have a dialog to allow building these commands and a larger
                          library of "canned" sets. But until folks like you work out what those
                          command sequences need to be, I'm just shooting in the dark.

                          And as soon as you have yours all worked out, please post them here so
                          we can put the final results on the Wiki.

                        • Don Poaps
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                            In my case, group. I would have to leave it with the IT experts. I have enough problem getting a TNC to talk to a computer. I sure hope some one with the smarts and know how can figure how I can copy packet APRS Port 1, on the same program, on APRS Port 2 using Robust Packet sending it to a SCS-PTC 11ex TNC.

                            I'll keep quite now.

                            73

                            Don va7dgp

                            Sent from my iPhone