APRSIS32 with DUAL PORT TNC

  • SV1UY
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
      Hi all,

      Has anyone managed to make APRSIS32 work with a DUAL PORT TNC, such as a Kantronics KPC-9612 or an SCS PTC-II?

      How do you make APRSIS32 use the port you want? i.e. the 2nd port? What are the commands I have to put in the XML file?

      I have both these modems and I can make APRSIS32 send packets only via the 1st port! No luck in using the 2nd port.

      Any ideas/xml examples please?

      73 de Demetre SV1UY
    • Greg D

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013
          I couldn't even get AWG to trigger the SCS-PTC 11EX to pick up or PTT. I copied the CMD file from Robust Packet to the Aprisis32.xml and it just sat there flashing.

          Just a thought. If I copied the CMD file from Robust Packet into AWG.ini file. Port 2. Then configure > Port > IP see if it will pick up port 2. I can't seem to get port 2 seen in local host. If I do the regular way.

          Off to the Candy to run the APRS from there. Try and work on getting the problem in my spare time.

          73

          Don va7dgp

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013
            The current implementation of APRSISce/32 can only transmit on the FIRST port of a multiplort TNC.

            If it is possible to change "which port" is the "FIRST PORT", then you could choose between them that way, but I don't know of anyone doing that.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013
              As was stated by someone and I'm confirming: APRSISCE/32 supports
              receiving from all ports of a multi-port TNC and AGW's PE, but currently
              only supports transmitting on the first port of said devices/software.
              I need to accomplish a rather extensive restructuring of the internal
              port handling to relieve this constraint which is planned and on the
              ToDo list, but has not yet been done.

              On 8/29/2013 2:53 AM, SV1UY wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > Has anyone managed to make APRSIS32 work with a DUAL PORT TNC, such as a Kantronics KPC-9612 or an SCS PTC-II?
              >
              > How do you make APRSIS32 use the port you want? i.e. the 2nd port? What are the commands I have to put in the XML file?
              >
              > I have both these modems and I can make APRSIS32 send packets only via the 1st port! No luck in using the 2nd port.
              >
              > Any ideas/xml examples please?
              >
              > 73 de Demetre SV1UY

            • Don Poaps

                --
                Don Poaps
                New Westminster, BC

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013

                    Actually Lynn for RPN and APRSIS32 Jerry, oops I mean Helge would be the person to get hold of.

                    He has done a fair amount of work for the WIKI, admittedly not on RPN. But there are references to APRSIS32 on http://robust-packet.net/ a lot of which is written by Helge DF8LS .

                    His English is better than mine

                    Just tell him Tommy sent you.

                    (A German with a sense of humour who would have known)

                    Steve Daniels

                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                    Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013
                      That what I'm talking about. I added the info that a British Ham had for SCS-PTCusb and added the info to the CMD XML for Aprisis32.

                      Nothing happen after I set up the port in configure. I will check to see how I can change the port from 0 to Port 1.  Or 2 whatever the port.

                      73

                      Don

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013

                        I would suggest you contact Helge DF8LS , he did some German language setup videos we have on the APRSIS32 WIKI. For APRSIS32. But he also has put up a lot of info on http://robust-packet.net/

                        He is a very knowledgeable person on the subject.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                          I'd be interested in the results. I have to sort out my KPC9612 for UHF 9600 APRS first, but eventually I'd like to be able to have APRSIS32 be able to control it.

                          Adam
                          KC2ANT

                          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                            I have a Kantronics 9612 Dual Port TNC and would like to use both ports and port switching to use ALL the features of each port within APRSIS32.

                            In the meanwhile, was wondering how many others have this venerable 9612+ TNC available with its dual ports that can be used on VHF/VHF or VHF/UHF at 1200/9600 baud.

                            I also have a Kantronics KAM+ TNC with dual port capability on HF and VHF (300/1200 baud) that uses a similar 1/2 comm port addressing the dual features in terminal mode as the 9612+. Yes, APRS lives on HF, like the 30M band!

                            These separate dual port TNCs might be able to be used IF there were a terminal mode of APRSIS32 in addition to the favored KISS system.

                            Rather than rewrite a good program, it might be best to add a subroutine for terminal mode use of APRSIS32 for dual port TNC with editable parameters using the port one/port two syntax for TNC setup (eg. 1200/9600 or 1200/1200 for radio transmit baud in the case of the 9612, or 300/12000 for the KAM series).

                            Transmit port switching seems to be the only issue within APRSIS32.

                            Just a thought to help our program author, who probably has neither dual port TNC available for experimentation.

                            73 de Pat KC6VVT

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                              I would also like to see dual (and multi) port TNCs fully supported and
                              yes, you are correct that I have no such TNCs for testing.

                              However, can you please detail to me how a terminal mode can make this
                              better? Please start with a detailed explanation of what your
                              definition of "terminal mode" is because my definition is a mode where
                              what you type goes to the TNC and what the TNC says back shows up in
                              your window totally bypassing the port type support of APRSISCE/32.
                              This mode is planned and would allow the user to issue commands and
                              whatnot to the TNC without shutting down APRSISCE/32 and firing up an
                              external "terminal" emulator.

                              You are also correct in that APRSISCE/32 can receive (within the
                              supported protocols) from all ports, but (currently) only supports
                              transmitting on port 0 or the first port.

                              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                              On 8/30/2013 9:34 AM, Pat Ryan KC6VVT wrote:

                              > I have a Kantronics 9612 Dual Port TNC and would like to use both ports and port switching to use ALL the features of each port within APRSIS32.
                              >
                              > In the meanwhile, was wondering how many others have this venerable 9612+ TNC available with its dual ports that can be used on VHF/VHF or VHF/UHF at 1200/9600 baud.
                              >
                              > I also have a Kantronics KAM+ TNC with dual port capability on HF and VHF (300/1200 baud) that uses a similar 1/2 comm port addressing the dual features in terminal mode as the 9612+. Yes, APRS lives on HF, like the 30M band!
                              >
                              > These separate dual port TNCs might be able to be used IF there were a terminal mode of APRSIS32 in addition to the favored KISS system.
                              >
                              > Rather than rewrite a good program, it might be best to add a subroutine for terminal mode use of APRSIS32 for dual port TNC with editable parameters using the port one/port two syntax for TNC setup (eg. 1200/9600 or 1200/1200 for radio transmit baud in the case of the 9612, or 300/12000 for the KAM series).
                              >
                              > Transmit port switching seems to be the only issue within APRSIS32.
                              >
                              > Just a thought to help our program author, who probably has neither dual port TNC available for experimentation.
                              >
                              > 73 de Pat KC6VVT

                              >> As was stated by someone and I'm confirming: APRSISCE/32 supports
                              >> receiving from all ports of a multi-port TNC and AGW's PE, but currently
                              >> only supports transmitting on the first port of said devices/software.
                              >> I need to accomplish a rather extensive restructuring of the internal
                              >> port handling to relieve this constraint which is planned and on the
                              >> ToDo list, but has not yet been done.

                              >> On 8/29/2013 2:53 AM, SV1UY wrote:
                              >>> Hi all,
                              >>>
                              >>> Has anyone managed to make APRSIS32 work with a DUAL PORT TNC, such as a Kantronics KPC-9612 or an SCS PTC-II?
                              >>>
                              >>> How do you make APRSIS32 use the port you want? i.e. the 2nd port? What are the commands I have to put in the XML file?
                              >>>
                              >>> I have both these modems and I can make APRSIS32 send packets only via the 1st port! No luck in using the 2nd port.
                              >>>
                              >>> Any ideas/xml examples please?
                              >>>
                              >>> 73 de Demetre SV1UY

                            • Pat Ryan KC6VVT
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                                Lynn, that terminal mode is what I envision! For others:

                                Assuming one would exit the APRSIS32 programs KISS mode with the magic 3 series of CTRL C sent to the TNC first.
                                To reset the TNC Command Mode, the operator could send CMD.
                                and the TNC will return

                                Perhaps the TNC when reset goes to a simple TNC Mode as in Kantronics models, and you would like ALL TNC commands available to tweak? At the Command Prompt (CMD>) type:
                                INTF TERM <Return>
                                The Kantronic TNC should then be in the true Terminal Mode and not the simple terminal mode with its limited command set as may happen with the RESET of all parameters.

                                While in true Terminal mode, the operator would then be able to issue manual TNC commands by placing the TNC into Command Mode (as opposed to CONVERSE mode for sending packets).

                                As I recall, if in CONVERSE, send CMD to the TNC. The TNC will return

                                to show the TNC is ready for commands. Otherwise it wll be

                                with a selected preface like MyCall.

                                INTF TERM will allow entry of a permitted AX25 Level II TNC command to be stored in the TNC, unlike the KISS mode. While in this Command Mode, all TNC Parameters may be adjusted by the user manually sending one command at a time.
                                e.g MYCall KC6VVT
                                e.g. BTExt Exited APRSIS32 program for direct packet connection.

                                With a Dual Port TNC the command syntax would be the command with a port1/port2 paramenter.
                                An example of setting two separate ID parameters MIGHT be
                                e.g. MYCall KC6VVT/KC6VVT-4
                                Note that the TNC would do a soft reset after this command. That might take the TNC back to Converse mode indicated by:

                                or stay in Command Mode

                                This toggle is set by another command line which escapes me for the moment. To return from CMD> to CONVERSE > while in the Terminal command mode, send the command 'k', as I recall. Toggle with CMD again to return to COMMAND mode.

                                Another Kam+ or 9612 type dual port command would be setting a different Baud rate for the separate radio ports
                                e.g Baud 1200/9600

                                Note that transmit port switching is available, but will have to research that command to switch ports. , it has been too long to recall accurately. The Tilde ~ was used with the KAM+ to toggle or set the transmit port. I seem to recall.

                                Until APRSIS32 program for Kantronics TNC users has a selectIble Terminal Mode, if ever, I should imagine that the user may elect to manually restart APRSIS32 to return to the TNC KISS mode. Otherwise the manual TNC command line would be
                                INTF KISS

                                I am no programmer, but add that APRS DOS allowed APRS program exit and program return to tweak TNC settings, or even connect directly with a nearby station or PBBS on a hot QSY! Editing command lines could be done with setup of APRS DOS files by menu choices otherwise.

                                Your mileage my vary, as any adjusted TNC settings may be lost if the program rewrites the manually changed command parameter. In that case, the offline file edit function would allow continued use of a refined and extended Kantronics TNC parameter ONLY IF permitted in the limited command set of the Kantronics KISS mode until TERMINAL use is permitted as a choice with APRSIS32 program! See my remarks on Kenwood radio built in TNC elsewhere here that are using a simple TERMINAL Mode for a work-around..

                                73 de Pat KC6VVT

                                > I would also like to see dual (and multi) port TNCs fully supported and
                                > yes, you are correct that I have no such TNCs for testing.
                                >
                                > However, can you please detail to me how a terminal mode can make this
                                > better? Please start with a detailed explanation of what your
                                > definition of "terminal mode" is because my definition is a mode where
                                > what you type goes to the TNC and what the TNC says back shows up in
                                > your window totally bypassing the port type support of APRSISCE/32.
                                > This mode is planned and would allow the user to issue commands and
                                > whatnot to the TNC without shutting down APRSISCE/32 and firing up an
                                > external "terminal" emulator.
                                >
                                > You are also correct in that APRSISCE/32 can receive (within the
                                > supported protocols) from all ports, but (currently) only supports
                                > transmitting on port 0 or the first port.
                                >
                                > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                                >

                                > On 8/30/2013 9:34 AM, Pat Ryan KC6VVT wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I have a Kantronics 9612 Dual Port TNC and would like to use both ports and port switching to use ALL the features of each port within APRSIS32.
                                > >
                                > > In the meanwhile, was wondering how many others have this venerable 9612+ TNC available with its dual ports that can be used on VHF/VHF or VHF/UHF at 1200/9600 baud.
                                > >
                                > > I also have a Kantronics KAM+ TNC with dual port capability on HF and VHF (300/1200 baud) that uses a similar 1/2 comm port addressing the dual features in terminal mode as the 9612+. Yes, APRS lives on HF, like the 30M band!
                                > >
                                > > These separate dual port TNCs might be able to be used IF there were a terminal mode of APRSIS32 in addition to the favored KISS system.
                                > >
                                > > Rather than rewrite a good program, it might be best to add a subroutine for terminal mode use of APRSIS32 for dual port TNC with editable parameters using the port one/port two syntax for TNC setup (eg. 1200/9600 or 1200/1200 for radio transmit baud in the case of the 9612, or 300/12000 for the KAM series).
                                > >
                                > > Transmit port switching seems to be the only issue within APRSIS32.
                                > >
                                > > Just a thought to help our program author, who probably has neither dual port TNC available for experimentation.
                                > >
                                > > 73 de Pat KC6VVT
                                > >

                                > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@> wrote:
                                > >> As was stated by someone and I'm confirming: APRSISCE/32 supports
                                > >> receiving from all ports of a multi-port TNC and AGW's PE, but currently
                                > >> only supports transmitting on the first port of said devices/software.
                                > >> I need to accomplish a rather extensive restructuring of the internal
                                > >> port handling to relieve this constraint which is planned and on the
                                > >> ToDo list, but has not yet been done.
                                > >>
                                > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                              • Rob Giuliano
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                                  Don't know how others implement this -> with I am SURE is the major hurdle.
                                  The info I have is:

                                  STREAM INFO:
                                  HOST to PC Format:  FEND  PORT  Stream  Data  FEND
                                     FEND  - 0x0C START of 'packet'
                                      replace with 0xDB 0xDC to sent 0x0C
                                      replace with 0xDB 0xDS to sent 0x0C
                                     CMD  - 0x43 letter 'C' for command
                                     0x44 letter 'D' for Data
                                     0x51 letter 'Q' for Quit (exit HosT mode)
                                     Port  - 0x01 port identifier (KPC3 has only 1 port)
                                     Stream - 0x## Stream identifier (
                                     0x00 Port UNPROTO, or unused
                                     0x41 Port 'A'
                                     0x42 Port 'B'
                                     0x43 Port 'C'
                                    example:  send 0x0C 0x01 0x43 TRIES 0x0c
                                                         would be Cmd, port 1, stream C, TRIES and would return RETRY count on stream C
                                     Data  - 0x## ASCII character value that are sent as "data"
                                     FEND  - 0x0C END of 'packet'

                                  PC to HOST Format:  FEND  PORT  Stream  Data  FEND
                                     FEND  - 0x0C START of 'packet'
                                      replace with 0xDB 0xDC to sent 0x0C
                                      replace with 0xDB 0xDS to sent 0x0C
                                     STATUS - 0x43 letter 'C' response for sent command ( with no data means command accepted)
                                     0x44 letter 'D' response for sent Data
                                     0x4D letter 'M' for Monitored (not requested) Data
                                     0x52 letter 'R' Connect Request
                                     0x53 letter 'S' for Soft reset (FEND FEND S00 FEND)
                                     0x54 letter 'T' TRACE

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                                    So, if I understand you correctly, you're not saying that the terminal
                                    mode has anything to do with supporting a dual port TNC, but is simply
                                    to allow the user to tweak the TNC more easily than exit, terminal,
                                    re-enter APRSISCE/32. Just wanting to make sure I've got it all the way
                                    you intended.

                                    And the <Open/CloseCmd>s are intended to be able to script anything that
                                    doesn't require conditional branches. If one of the commands triggers a
                                    TNC reset, then you need to extend the timeout to allow for that. The
                                    default <Open/CloseCmd>s provided by some of the port types are just
                                    that, defaults. The user of esoteric (let's face it, there's fewer Dual
                                    Port TNCs in use than Kenwood APRS radios) TNCs is currently required to
                                    edit a text file (albeit XML) to set up the proper commands. Eventually
                                    I hope to have a dialog to allow building these commands and a larger
                                    library of "canned" sets. But until folks like you work out what those
                                    command sequences need to be, I'm just shooting in the dark.

                                    And as soon as you have yours all worked out, please post them here so
                                    we can put the final results on the Wiki.

                                  • Don Poaps
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                                      In my case, group. I would have to leave it with the IT experts. I have enough problem getting a TNC to talk to a computer. I sure hope some one with the smarts and know how can figure how I can copy packet APRS Port 1, on the same program, on APRS Port 2 using Robust Packet sending it to a SCS-PTC 11ex TNC.

                                      I'll keep quite now.

                                      73

                                      Don va7dgp

                                      Sent from my iPhone