Re: [aprsisce] DR-135T with GPS Connected

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
      Unfortunately the T2-135 doesn't support NMEA passthrough. You can have
      the GPS connected through the front and have the T2-135 behave as a
      tracker and still connect APRSISCE/32 to the back to receive and
      transmit data as a Simply(KISS) port, but APRSISCE/32 won't get anything
      from the GPS.

      On 8/22/2013 8:57 PM, Bill wrote:
      > Looking for a little guidance on getting my port configuration correct so that I have GPS data and APRS data coming into APRSISCE.
      >
      > I have a DR-135 (original model) with a GPS unit connected to the front data port. I have a USB-to-serial connector connected to the DB9 on the rear of the radio and then into my Windows 8 laptop. The USB-to-serial is configured as COM1. In playing around this evening, I could either get NMEA configured correctly or get a port configured for the TNC, but not both.
      >
      > I did some googling and STF'ing here before my membership was approved and it appears that I need to configure the DR-135 as a stand-alone tracker via a serial terminal program, and then fire up APRSISCE? Do I then just configure the NMEA port inside of APRSISCE? I found the radio config options on the wiki, but there was little guidance with what to do with it and the rest of the port configuration.
      >
      > My end goal here is to have both APRS and GPS fully functional via the single COM1 port with the GPS connected to the radio.
      >
      > 73,
      > NF9K

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
        I assume the same holds true for the EJ-41U? That is what I'm using, I failed to mention that in my original post.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
          The EJ-41U is even worse in my experience. It won't operate more than a
          few hours in KISS mode without going deaf and/or dumb. And I know it
          also doesn't do any sort of GPS passthrough either.

          In text mode, it might last longer, but I've got no direct experience
          with that.

          On 8/23/2013 6:58 AM, Bill wrote:
          > I assume the same holds true for the EJ-41U? That is what I'm using, I failed to mention that in my original post.

          >> Unfortunately the T2-135 doesn't support NMEA passthrough. You can have
          >> the GPS connected through the front and have the T2-135 behave as a
          >> tracker and still connect APRSISCE/32 to the back to receive and
          >> transmit data as a Simply(KISS) port, but APRSISCE/32 won't get anything
          >> from the GPS.

          >> On 8/22/2013 8:57 PM, Bill wrote:
          >>> Looking for a little guidance on getting my port configuration correct so that I have GPS data and APRS data coming into APRSISCE.
          >>>
          >>> I have a DR-135 (original model) with a GPS unit connected to the front data port. I have a USB-to-serial connector connected to the DB9 on the rear of the radio and then into my Windows 8 laptop. The USB-to-serial is configured as COM1. In playing around this evening, I could either get NMEA configured correctly or get a port configured for the TNC, but not both.
          >>>
          >>> I did some googling and STF'ing here before my membership was approved and it appears that I need to configure the DR-135 as a stand-alone tracker via a serial terminal program, and then fire up APRSISCE? Do I then just configure the NMEA port inside of APRSISCE? I found the radio config options on the wiki, but there was little guidance with what to do with it and the rest of the port configuration.
          >>>
          >>> My end goal here is to have both APRS and GPS fully functional via the single COM1 port with the GPS connected to the radio.
          >>>
          >>> 73,
          >>> NF9K

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
            Fantastic. I noticed that when I had putty connected to the COM port, I was seeing both APRS and GPS data on the screen. So I'd hoped that APRSISCE/32 would see both of them on the same port and be happy. I even assume that's why I had the check-box on the port for GPS/NMEA.

            I guess I'll look at alternate GPS options that connect to the laptop, since I'm obviously going beyond tracking at this point. And it sounds like I'll need to look at a replacement for the Alinco TNC as well, although it's been running in the shack overnight and is still chugging along.

            Funny how little projects in this hobby tend to spiral out of their initial scope.

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
              The EJ-41U won't do what you are want either.

              Check this page for the best, T3-135.
              http://www.argentdata.com/products/tracker3.html

              This unit will perform better than the original.

              Check with Argent Data to ensure the pass-through works on the T3-135.

              I have the Tracker3 and like it a lot!

              Best regards,
              Fred N7FMH

              ________________________________

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                Wait, with putty you saw both? Can you send me a copy of that output?
                Maybe I'm wrong.

                What port type did you have configured in APRSISCE/32?

                The failure mode of the EJ-41U seems to be based on total traffic
                handled. I'll have to dig mine out and fire it up for a while. (I
                didn't purposely acquire an EJ-41U, but it came inside one of the three
                Alinco DR-135s that I picked up from e-Bay.)

                Lynn (D) - K4JERJ - DR-135/T3-135/Nuvi 1490 as KJ4OVQ-9

                On 8/23/2013 8:17 AM, Bill wrote:
                > Fantastic. I noticed that when I had putty connected to the COM port, I was seeing both APRS and GPS data on the screen. So I'd hoped that APRSISCE/32 would see both of them on the same port and be happy. I even assume that's why I had the check-box on the port for GPS/NMEA.
                >
                > I guess I'll look at alternate GPS options that connect to the laptop, since I'm obviously going beyond tracking at this point. And it sounds like I'll need to look at a replacement for the Alinco TNC as well, although it's been running in the shack overnight and is still chugging along.
                >
                > Funny how little projects in this hobby tend to spiral out of their initial scope.

                >> The EJ-41U is even worse in my experience. It won't operate more than a
                >> few hours in KISS mode without going deaf and/or dumb. And I know it
                >> also doesn't do any sort of GPS passthrough either.
                >>
                >> In text mode, it might last longer, but I've got no direct experience
                >> with that.

                >> On 8/23/2013 6:58 AM, Bill wrote:
                >>> I assume the same holds true for the EJ-41U? That is what I'm using, I failed to mention that in my original post.

              • kb8emd
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                  Bill said and I agree.

                  "Funny how little projects in this hobby tend to spiral out of their initial scope."

                  Back in April I decided to get back into Ham radio
                  In the past I used APRS and had fun here it is 4 months later
                  and I've had a hard time understanding how to do what I want to do.
                  I'm 71 I better figure it out soon or they will need to place a tracker
                  in the box with me, wonder if it will be burned up or go on forever?

                  Larry
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                    Tell us what it is that you want to do, and what you've tried, and I'm
                    sure someone on the list can get you moving in the right direction
                    (every pun intended).

                    On 8/23/2013 9:52 AM, kb8emd wrote:
                    > Bill said and I agree.
                    >
                    > "Funny how little projects in this hobby tend to spiral out of their initial scope."
                    >
                    > Back in April I decided to get back into Ham radio
                    > In the past I used APRS and had fun here it is 4 months later
                    > and I've had a hard time understanding how to do what I want to do.
                    > I'm 71 I better figure it out soon or they will need to place a tracker
                    > in the box with me, wonder if it will be burned up or go on forever?
                    >
                    > Larry

                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                      I'll definitely check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't sniffing glue. I remoted into the laptop and I've shutdown APRSISCE/32 and launched putty against the comport and I'm only seeing APRS data right now. But I can't verify what the GPS is or isn't doing since I'm not there.

                      So I guess it comes down to the question of, "Will APRSISCE/32 handle both GPS and APRS data on the same port?" Otherwise, it really doesn't make much difference if I was hallucinating or not, right?

                      Thanks much for the help and info.

                      > Wait, with putty you saw both? Can you send me a copy of that output?
                      > Maybe I'm wrong.
                      >
                      > What port type did you have configured in APRSISCE/32?
                      >
                      > The failure mode of the EJ-41U seems to be based on total traffic
                      > handled. I'll have to dig mine out and fire it up for a while. (I
                      > didn't purposely acquire an EJ-41U, but it came inside one of the three
                      > Alinco DR-135s that I picked up from e-Bay.)
                      >
                      > Lynn (D) - K4JERJ - DR-135/T3-135/Nuvi 1490 as KJ4OVQ-9
                      >
                      > On 8/23/2013 8:17 AM, Bill wrote:
                      > > Fantastic. I noticed that when I had putty connected to the COM port, I was seeing both APRS and GPS data on the screen. So I'd hoped that APRSISCE/32 would see both of them on the same port and be happy. I even assume that's why I had the check-box on the port for GPS/NMEA.
                      > >
                      > > I guess I'll look at alternate GPS options that connect to the laptop, since I'm obviously going beyond tracking at this point. And it sounds like I'll need to look at a replacement for the Alinco TNC as well, although it's been running in the shack overnight and is still chugging along.
                      > >
                      > > Funny how little projects in this hobby tend to spiral out of their initial scope.
                      > >
                      > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@> wrote:
                      > >> The EJ-41U is even worse in my experience. It won't operate more than a
                      > >> few hours in KISS mode without going deaf and/or dumb. And I know it
                      > >> also doesn't do any sort of GPS passthrough either.
                      > >>
                      > >> In text mode, it might last longer, but I've got no direct experience
                      > >> with that.
                      > >>
                      > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                        Ok, here's what I was seeing as I configured the radio as a tracker initially and then when I hooked it up to putty and an antenna:

                        $GPRMC,145256.000,A,3950.6152,N,08616.9406,W,0.16,324.89,230813,,,A*78
                        KC9RQI-10>APOTU0,W9ICE-10,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1:>92F KC89RQI@... APRS LINUX IGATE
                        $GPRMC,145306.000,A,3950.6160,N,08616.9424,W,0.24,107.83,230813,,,A*75
                        BWTP>APTW01,N9UMJ-10,W9ICE-10,WIDE2*:_08220903c122s003g000t079r000p000P000h68b10174tU2k
                        $GPRMC,145316.000,A,3950.6174,N,08616.9452,W,0.07,86.37,230813,,,A*46
                        $GPRMC,145325.000,A,3950.6182,N,08616.9469,W,0.07,319.31,230813,,,A*74
                        W9ICE-10>APN383,WIDE2-1:!3953.44NS08612.32W#PHG5610 W2 INn-N Indianapolis IN www.w9ice.com

                        $GPRMC,145336.000,A,3950.6201,N,08616.9476,W,0.08,93.42,230813,,,A*4A
                        $GPRMC,145346.000,A,3950.6196,N,08616.9481,W,0.12,101.75,230813,,,A*7D
                        W8FTV-1>APTT4,KB9PFM-10,WIDE1,W9ICE-10*,WIDE2-1:W8FTV (R) 147.00+PL100Hz 443.825 PL186.2

                        The $GPRMC strings, aren't those the data coming in from the GPS?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                          On 8/23/2013 10:39 AM, Bill wrote:
                          > So I guess it comes down to the question of, "Will APRSISCE/32 handle both GPS and APRS data on the same port?" Otherwise, it really doesn't make much difference if I was hallucinating or not, right?

                          That's why I need to know what port type you have configured in
                          APRSISCE/32. I want to double-check that the NMEA/GPS checkbox applies
                          to that port type, and if not, I'll make it work if you can provide a
                          capture of what the data stream looks like from the EJ.

                          PS. I don't think I've got a GPS wired for feeding through the front of
                          an Alinco right now. That's a different connection than what feeds into
                          a D700, isn't it?
                        • Bill
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                            Sorry, I omitted that. I have it configured as a KISS port, with COM1 attached as the device. Does that meet your needs? I can give you specifics on what I have checked or unchecked if needed.

                            I can't speak for the D700, but in my case, I have a single the TX line from my GPS connected to the center tip of my three-conductor stereo plug. I'm powering the GPS from a voltage regulator as I couldn't seem to get it to power off of that front data port, although some sources seem to indicate that should work.

                            Anyway, I'm happy to help you out or provide you with whatever you need. Just let me know. Thanks!

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                              Ok, with KISS, I'm pretty certain that the GPS strings will quit coming
                              through.

                              To prove this, can you put the EJ into KISS mode within your putty
                              session and watch the output? A KISS packet has an unreadable header,
                              but the payloads should be legible. And I suspect you'll quit seeing
                              the NMEA sentences, but only received APRS packets.

                              On 8/23/2013 1:22 PM, Bill wrote:
                              > Sorry, I omitted that. I have it configured as a KISS port, with COM1 attached as the device. Does that meet your needs? I can give you specifics on what I have checked or unchecked if needed.
                              >
                              > I can't speak for the D700, but in my case, I have a single the TX line from my GPS connected to the center tip of my three-conductor stereo plug. I'm powering the GPS from a voltage regulator as I couldn't seem to get it to power off of that front data port, although some sources seem to indicate that should work.
                              >
                              > Anyway, I'm happy to help you out or provide you with whatever you need. Just let me know. Thanks!

                              >> On 8/23/2013 10:39 AM, Bill wrote:
                              >>> So I guess it comes down to the question of, "Will APRSISCE/32 handle both GPS and APRS data on the same port?" Otherwise, it really doesn't make much difference if I was hallucinating or not, right?
                              >> That's why I need to know what port type you have configured in
                              >> APRSISCE/32. I want to double-check that the NMEA/GPS checkbox applies
                              >> to that port type, and if not, I'll make it work if you can provide a
                              >> capture of what the data stream looks like from the EJ.

                              >> PS. I don't think I've got a GPS wired for feeding through the front of
                              >> an Alinco right now. That's a different connection than what feeds into
                              >> a D700, isn't it?

                            • Bill
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                                Ok, so here's a capture after issues the KISS ON command. You can see that the TNC ACKs it and the GPS data appears to still be coming through. This is just short capture, but if you need more, I'm happy to collect it.

                                cmd:$GPRMC,181549.000,A,3950.6192,N,08616.9498,W,0.06,104.89,230813,,,A*73
                                KB9CIZ-2>SYPY7S,WB9FIU,WIDE1,W9ICE-10*,WIDE2-1:`qLdm4_k2"61}
                                kiss $GPRMC,181559.000,A,3950.6195,N,08616.9498,W,0.02,25.43,230813,,,A*45
                                on
                                KISS was OFF
                                cmd:$GPRMC,181609.000,A,3950.6195,N,08616.9498,W,0.03,70.10,230813,,,A*44
                                KC9MVQ>APN382,W9GO-3,W9NWN,W9ICE-10,WIDE3*:!4053.92N8621.32W#LUCERNE+KC9MVQ-1

                                K9APR-3>APN382,W9ICE-10*,WIDE2-1:!4011.59NS08541.11W#PHG6460/W3,INn Linwood,IN.

                                $GPRMC,181619.000,A,3950.6195,N,08616.9498,W,0.23,293.42,230813,,,A*7F

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                                  I suspect you need a reset or something to have the KISS actually take
                                  effect. If it was truly in KISS mode, you would not be able to read the
                                  headers of the packets, but just the payloads. The headers should be
                                  bit-shifted ASCII which guarantees them to be non-printable.

                                  On 8/23/2013 2:17 PM, Bill wrote:
                                  > Ok, so here's a capture after issues the KISS ON command. You can see that the TNC ACKs it and the GPS data appears to still be coming through. This is just short capture, but if you need more, I'm happy to collect it.
                                  >
                                  > cmd:$GPRMC,181549.000,A,3950.6192,N,08616.9498,W,0.06,104.89,230813,,,A*73
                                  > KB9CIZ-2>SYPY7S,WB9FIU,WIDE1,W9ICE-10*,WIDE2-1:`qLdm4_k2"61}
                                  > kiss $GPRMC,181559.000,A,3950.6195,N,08616.9498,W,0.02,25.43,230813,,,A*45
                                  > on
                                  > KISS was OFF
                                  > cmd:$GPRMC,181609.000,A,3950.6195,N,08616.9498,W,0.03,70.10,230813,,,A*44
                                  > KC9MVQ>APN382,W9GO-3,W9NWN,W9ICE-10,WIDE3*:!4053.92N8621.32W#LUCERNE+KC9MVQ-1
                                  >
                                  > K9APR-3>APN382,W9ICE-10*,WIDE2-1:!4011.59NS08541.11W#PHG6460/W3,INn Linwood,IN.
                                  >
                                  > $GPRMC,181619.000,A,3950.6195,N,08616.9498,W,0.23,293.42,230813,,,A*7F

                                  >> Ok, with KISS, I'm pretty certain that the GPS strings will quit coming
                                  >> through.
                                  >>
                                  >> To prove this, can you put the EJ into KISS mode within your putty
                                  >> session and watch the output? A KISS packet has an unreadable header,
                                  >> but the payloads should be legible. And I suspect you'll quit seeing
                                  >> the NMEA sentences, but only received APRS packets.

                                  >> On 8/23/2013 1:22 PM, Bill wrote:
                                  >>> Sorry, I omitted that. I have it configured as a KISS port, with COM1 attached as the device. Does that meet your needs? I can give you specifics on what I have checked or unchecked if needed.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> I can't speak for the D700, but in my case, I have a single the TX line from my GPS connected to the center tip of my three-conductor stereo plug. I'm powering the GPS from a voltage regulator as I couldn't seem to get it to power off of that front data port, although some sources seem to indicate that should work.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Anyway, I'm happy to help you out or provide you with whatever you need. Just let me know. Thanks!

                                • Bill
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 24, 2013
                                    Confirmed. Upon a radio reset, I'm back to just the APRS packets in putty. I guess I'll look into options to connect the GPS to the laptop...

                                    Thanks for the help with confirming this. I do have an email into the Argent folks asking if their v3 TNC for the DR-135 supports GPS pass-through.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 26, 2013
                                      Yes, APRSISCE/32 will except GPS data on the same port as ARPS data. Some are doing it with a Tinytrak 4 and I am doing it with a Tracker3. Both of these units are adding the NMEA data within the KISS data. This is one reason I would recommend the Argent Data T3-135.

                                      Best regards,
                                      Fred N7FMH