Alternate frequency for APRS?

  • Russell Blair
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2013
       Is there an alternate frequency for APRS traffic othen than 144.390. Hear in Dallas it's so full of APRS traffic the low power station cant find a spot to Tx in because of all the Hi power station. So if I put a TT4 on my HT at running 5W, it tuff it get in, So anyone know of a alternate frequency that is or can be used for low power stations.??

      Russell NC5O

      " IN GOD WE TRUST "
      " Skype-Russell.Blair "
      "God's law is set in stone..everything else is negotiable."
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2013
        Alternate frequencies are a local thing, but there are some in use in various parts of the country, many times for 9600 baud packet.  Unfortunately, I don't know what they are.

        If you open up an APRS-IS instance of APRSISCE/32 and do a View / Transport / IGate, you will see all of the active IGates (those stations that have been identified as having gated something to the APRS-IS) in your area.  You can contact each of them to see what frequency they're on or play with the various Screen / Paths options to see what stations they are gating.

        By concerted effort and a bit of knowledge of which stations you've heard direct on 144.390, you can generate a list of those that have NOT gated any of those stations.  Contact those that seem to not copy 144.390 stations and ask what frequency they are on.

        PS.  Note that the paths display and IGate identification only work on packets that you've received into that particular instance of APRSISCE/32, so it's best to have it running for a few hours (at least) or days to get a more complete picture of your local area.  You might also want to configure a temporary "CWOP" port pointing to ldeffenb.dnsalias.net port 6366 to get an even more complete picture of the local RF environment as observed by APRSISCE/32 IGates.

        ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:6366 is a limited connection resource so please disable this port when you're not actually doing RF analysis.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2013
          Thanks Lynn for the help I will give it a try.

          Ruaaell NC5O

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2013
            > Alternate frequencies are a local
            thing, but there are some in use in various parts of the country, many times for 9600 baud packet.  Unfortunately, I don't know what they are.

            We should be posting/advertising the alternate channels on the main, 144.39 MHz, channel so finding the alternates is as simple as checking the APRS application's information or a web query on one of the web APRS clients.

            Bill
          • Joseph Pistritto
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2013

              Often people here use 144.41 as an alternative to 144.39 for specific events.  My club does that while supporting bike rides and we run an igate so people can watch on aprs.fi

              On Aug 22, 2013 10:42 AM, "Russell Blair" <russell_blair86@...> wrote:

               Is there an alternate frequency for APRS traffic othen than 144.390. Hear in Dallas it's so full of APRS traffic the low power station cant find a spot to Tx in because of all the Hi power station. So if I put a TT4 on my HT at running 5W, it tuff it get in, So anyone know of a alternate frequency that is or can be used for low power stations.??

              Russell NC5O

              " IN GOD WE TRUST "
              " Skype-Russell.Blair "
              "God's law is set in stone..everything else is negotiable."
            • Armour, Randy (WS)
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 24, 2013

                Reference:

                http://www.aprs.org/APRS14499.txt