Re: [aprsisce] Using APRSISCE Laptop Mobile

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 17, 2013
      I checked and the $PKWDPOS is handled by APRSISCE/32.  However, there's two other settings to check.

      1) Make sure you do NOT have an NMEA port configured.  Blank out the comm port if you have something set there.  If this is configured, then port pass-through sources of location are ignored.

      2) Make sure you have Enables / GPS checked.  If this is turned off, APRSISCE/32 will ignore all sources of location and ME won't move.

      On 8/17/2013 3:46 PM, Tim Gennett wrote:
      It's a KNWD710(APRS) port, not a KNWD710(Pkt) port.

      I just tried again with 3 changes: the SSID in APRSISCE/32 was set to K9WX  instead of K9WX-9, I left the APRSIS port enabled and I "set" the location of K9WX in APRSISCE/32 by dragging and zooming to my correct location and then transmitting my location once from APRSISCE/32 via the APRSIS port.  I had not done that earlier (this was a new install of APRSISCE/32 on this laptop).

      Just took a test drive and this time my mobile ID of K9WX-9 was correctly mapped within APRSISCE/32 whenever the 710 heard itself be digipeated.  About half way through the drive I disabled the APRSIS port and K9WX-9 was still being mapped in APRSISCE/32 each time the 710 heard itself be digipeated.  I had, of course, lost my internet connection as soon as I pulled out of the driveway.  But it appears that having the APRSIS port active was not the change that made the difference.

      However, APRSISCE/32 still does not track with me as I drive.  I was able to set APRSISCE/32 to track K9WX-9 and that worked.  But, with this setup, it does not appear that APRSISCE/32 is accessing the GPS position data that is coming out of the 710, only the APRS reports.

      Tim K9WX

      On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      On 8/17/2013 1:59 PM, Tim Gennett wrote:
      See answers below

      On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      Yes, port type was a KNWD710, selected using that option in the Configure-Port-New Port dialog.  Boxes checked were Enabled and GPS/NMEA.

      Kwd710(APRS) or Kwd710(Pkt)?   There's two D710 options.  If you open Configure / Ports / <YourPortName> the port type should be in the title bar.

      APRS-IS was disabled.  The only port that was enabled was the KNWD710 APRS port.  I am being digipeated (I see a "My Position" report on the 710's screen).  This is an RF only operation as the laptop does not have any internet access once I leave the house. Here is what the 710 is putting out through it's COM port when I first turn it on with the car in the garage:

      KWXIMON  was 0
      cmd:$PKWDPOS,174759,A,4026.6735,N,08701.6548,W,0.14,182,170813,203.1*21
      UNPROTO  was APK102
      cmd:cmd:$PKWDPOS,174801,A,4026.6735,N,08701.6548,W,0.14,179,170813,203.2*24
      K9WX-9>T0RV6W,K9WX-1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1:`sY]l!n>/]"6,}443.500MHzwww.k9wx.net=
      $PKWDPOS,174803,A,4026.6735,N,08701.6549,W,0.09,149,170813,203.1*2B
      $PKWDPOS,174805,A,4026.6736,N,08701.6549,W,0.08,135,170813,203.1*24

      I see location data from the GPS unit and I see my mobile signal, K9WX-9, being digipeated by my base station, K9WX-1.  But K9WX-9 does not show on the map in APRSISCE/32.  And, when I move, APRSISCE/32 does not track with my location but remains centered where I first centered the cross hairs, which happened to be my QTH.

      I'll have to remind myself if $PKWDPOS is processed or not.  That K9WX-9 might have been ignored because it matches APRSISCE/32's callsign, but I'm not even sure of that any more.  But those logs are EXACTLY what I needed to see.  Thanks!

    • Tim Gennett
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 18, 2013
        Item number 2 did the trick and everything seems to work as expected.  Many thanks.

        One other question.  This page:

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:compatible-hardware-software

        Says that APRSISCE/32 works with all versions of Windows including Windows 8.  But, that the only tablet it will work on is the WebDT 366.  Will APRSISCE/32 run on a Windows 8 tablet such as the Surface?  (Disclaimer: I don't own a tablet and have not investigated them in any way other than to know that the Surface has a USB port.)

        Tim K9WX

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 18, 2013
          Good to know that enabling the GPS did the trick for you!  You may think that's counter-intuitive, but like many things in APRSISCE/32, the enable/disable switch trumps many things.  Without it, you'd be stuck with a moving ME just because you had a passthrough RF port device connected, so APRSISCE/32 provides a way to be told to ignore the location updates by disabling the GPS.

          I have no experience with the Surface, but if you look closely, they (at least some of them) run Windows RT, not Windows 8.  RT, AFAIK, is a Windows build for ARM and practically no "standard" Windows apps work on them because the apps are built for x86 architecture processors.  If the Surface device runs true Windows 8 (not RT) on an x86 processor, APRSIS32 will run there.  Any other processor architecture, and it won't.

          So currently, the only table known to work is the WebDT 366 (and one other in the same family) running either CE or Windows XP.  I use one of these myself as my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate with Bluetooth link to a TinyTrak4 and WiFi to my home network.  It actually sits on the kitchen counter to be in good range of both the TT4 on my son's window sill and the WiFi!

          However, I have a private (crippled) build that runs on the (really) cheap Sylvania Netbook and embedded CE.  This device is only suitable for casual APRS-IS monitoring as it has no GPS, no Bluetooth, and likely no USB serial drivers.  If you've got WiFi, it'll do ok, but even the touch-pad resolution suffers, IMHO.

          On 8/18/2013 6:16 AM, Tim Gennett wrote:
[...]

        • wellmanl
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 19, 2013
            I've got one of those Sylvania netbooks...Is there any chance of getting a copy of the cripppled build?