RE: [aprsisce] Tiles - Burning Man

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2013

      For those that are going they plan to do a HAB at Burning Man to view the laser.

      They posted the request to a UK based Balloon list, So I directed them to an American one

      So I guess APRS might be handy for them

      Info below

      We are projecting the human DNA through a laser at the burning man festival
      in Nevada this year through a 60w laser. This should be visible from upto
      30km high due to using a really powerful laser. This in part to recognise
      the efforts of Dr Jonathan Rothberg who pioneered high speed genome
      sequencing.

      We would like some assistance with launching a high altitude balloon to film
      this laser DNA projection as well as the burning man from a top down view.
      At best, we hope to be able to view the laser projection from space.

      Given that no body in our engineering group has any experience with high
      altitude ballooning, Steve Daniels kindly put me in touch with you to see if
      you may be able to assist us on this project.

      If you would like to know more about this project, we were featured in
      wired last week
      (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/26/genome-laser-burning-man)
      and also the Huffington post today.

      We will of course cover the costs associated with this project.

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      From: fmhillhouse@...
      Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 13:43:03 -0400
      Subject: [aprsisce] Tiles - Burning Man

      Greetings All,

      I was reading emails on an OSM list and I saw a mention of a map for Burning
      Man 2013. So I went hunting for tiles even though I will not be attending. I
      suspect there may be an individual or two that will attend this event, so,
      the information may be useful.

      Online view of the area:
      http://com.gaiagps.iburn.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

      A view of 1 tile at the center:
      http://com.gaiagps.iburn.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/iburn-transparen
      t/15/5533/12311.png

      Server: com.gaiagps.iburn.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com
      Zoom Min: 10 (15 is the first useful level)
      Zoom Max: 18 (19 is available for other map applications)

      You should center your display here before starting the fetch process:
      N40 47.22
      W119 12.26

      If you head there while using OSM tiles, you will notice it may be
      confusing. The location is moved every year. They are historic and this year
      will be different. Somehow this is meant to reduce impact of the city that
      last 1 week. Old maps are useless for this event.

      Unlike the first two links above, the tiles are transparent and will have a
      black background (browsers use a white background for viewing, APRSIS32 does
      not provide a background so it will be black). There are tools available
      that can merge these tiles with other tiles such as the aerial tiles in the
      links.

      Considering the event starts Aug 26 2013, you should have already started
      your planning! :)

      There might be a method to get data in your GPS too. This appears to be an
      Android/iOS option: http://www.gaiagps.com/.

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH

      PS. You might want to read the following as well.

      target="_blank">https://github.com/trailbehind/iBurn-maps/releases

      href="http://trailbehind.wpengine.com/data-for-black-rock-city-burning-man-2013/" target="_blank">http://trailbehind.wpengine.com/data-for-black-rock-city-burning-man-2013/

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2013
        On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Steve Daniels
        <steve@...> wrote:

        > For those that are going they plan to do a HAB at Burning Man to view the laser.
        >
        > They posted the request to a UK based Balloon list, So I directed them to an American one
        >
        > So I guess APRS might be handy for them

        I've been in contact with them, and brought in Scott from Argent Data
        Systems, since he's going to the event, makes APRS trackers, and has
        flown HAB payloads. I've asked for clarification of what it is that
        they are trying to do, but have not gotten a response.

        I'm not sure they really know what they are wanting to do either.