can not see my packets on APRSIS32, but can on aprs.fi

  • D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5 4:36 PM
      I cannot see my packets on APRSIS32, but they show up as raw packets on
      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KB3MUN . Look for those timestamped

      -------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------
      2013-08-05 19:16:05 EDT:
      KB3MUN>APT4T1,N3KTX-4*,WIDE1*,KV3B-1*,NV4FM-5*,WIDE2*,qAR,KG4LAA:;M101-12
      *111111z3944.36N007737.96WA
      2013-08-05 19:16:06 EDT:
      KB3MUN>APT4T1,N3KTX-4*,WIDE1*,KV3B-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,KG4LAA:;L201-12
      *111111z3946.36N007740.96WA
      2013-08-05 19:16:48 EDT:
      KB3MUN>APT4T1,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,K3PDK-1:;M101-12
      *111111z3944.36N007737.96WA
      2013-08-05 19:16:56 EDT:
      KB3MUN>APT4T1,N3KTX-4*,WIDE1*,KV3B-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,KG4LAA:;S001-12
      *111111z3944.36N007738.96WA
      2013-08-05 19:17:04 EDT:
      KB3MUN>APT4T1,N3KTX-4*,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2,qAR,WA3YMH-10:;L201-12
      *111111z3946.36N007740.96WA
      2013-08-05 19:17:55 EDT:
      KB3MUN>APT4T1,N3KTX-4*,WIDE1*,KV3B-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,KG4LAA:;147.090gc*111111z3947.60N\07743.64WrOldHomeWeek
      2013-08-05 19:18:14 EDT:
      KB3MUN>APT4T1,N3KTX-4*,WIDE1*,KV3B-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,KG4LAA:;S001-12
      *111111z3944.36N007738.96WA
      ------------->8------------->8------------->8-------------

      I do see a continual stream of other packets on my instance of APRSIS32.
      I would lexpect to see these packets clustered near Greencastle, PA.
      APRSIS32 is beaconing my QTH as near St.Thomas, PA. I beleive my range
      setting is adequate as I see packets in APRSIS32 well below Hagerstown, MD.

      I'm attempting to set up APRStt (using DTMF messages translated to APRS
      packets to report event progress, see http://www.aprs.org/aprstt.html ).
      I am wanting to have a computer monitor display the event progress on
      a map display such as APRSIS32.

      The fact that the packets appear on arps.fi suggest to me that the
      packet generation and the RF link to the APRS system is working fine.

      I suspect I have something set up wrong. I can send the entire
      APRSIS32.xml, but perhaps some smaller portion of that file would be better.

      I'm running APRS-IS Client Build 2013/07/19 06:26 Development Version.
      OS is WinXP (a Microsoft VM running under Win7).

      If you can nudge me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

      73 de Daniel KB3MUN
    • D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6 9:18 AM
        I said:

        > I cannot see my packets on APRSIS32, but they show up as raw packets on
        > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KB3MUN .

        I am seeing them now.

        I enabled (put check mark beside menu item) the following:

        Screen >> Filter Circle
        Screen >> Paths >> Station (Packet)

        With the display centered on the event, with a range of 9 km, I see my
        objects.

        If you want to follow along (experiments today; event on morning of
        10-AUG), you can center on Greencastle, PA (). We are a relatively
        quiet area with respect to APRS activity.

        I'm tinkering with using APRStt to move objects (the bicyclists) around
        checkpoints along the bike ride route. Of interest are the 4-char
        object names starting with L, M, or S (three different routes). Some
        difficulties are being worked around as APRStt is currently focused
        callsign reports, rather than object reports, including the unwanted -12
        SSID being added to the object name.

        73 de Daniel KB3MUN
      • ldeffenb
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10 6:02 AM
          If "Filter Circle" fixed your problem, then you don't have your original range large enough. Remember to multiply by 10 as Configure / General / Range is expressed in 1/10 mile increments (I know, it was dumb but I was APRS-naive when I implemented it).

          PS. Sorry for the delay, but I'm working on correcting an e-mail issue with KJ4ERJ@.... Hope the event goes well!

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN" <kb3mun@...> wrote:

          > I said:
          >
          > > I cannot see my packets on APRSIS32, but they show up as raw packets on
          > > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KB3MUN .
          >

          > I am seeing them now.
          >
          > I enabled (put check mark beside menu item) the following:
          >
          > Screen >> Filter Circle
          > Screen >> Paths >> Station (Packet)
          >
          > With the display centered on the event, with a range of 9 km, I see my
          > objects.
          >

          > If you want to follow along (experiments today; event on morning of
          > 10-AUG), you can center on Greencastle, PA (). We are a relatively
          > quiet area with respect to APRS activity.
          >
          > I'm tinkering with using APRStt to move objects (the bicyclists) around
          > checkpoints along the bike ride route. Of interest are the 4-char
          > object names starting with L, M, or S (three different routes). Some
          > difficulties are being worked around as APRStt is currently focused
          > callsign reports, rather than object reports, including the unwanted -12
          > SSID being added to the object name.
          >
          > 73 de Daniel KB3MUN

        • D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11 11:20 AM
            Lynn,

            > If "Filter Circle" fixed your problem...

            I don't think Filter Circle was the issue, although it was initially
            unchecked. Later I noticed that the value associated with Filter Circle
            menu item was derived from the map magnification. Filter circle value
            was large enough to encompass my event.

            I think it was a two-fold problem.

            1st, I did not have "Screen >> Paths >> Station (Packet)" selected.

            2nd, the digipeater I was depending on was offline for at least part of
            the time.

            Thanks, and

            73 de Daniel KB3MUN