Re: [aprsisce] what callsign to use in APRS while abroad

  • Bela Markus
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
      Hi,

      generic rules for US HAMs visiting a CEPT country:

      http://www.arrl.org/cept-information

      If you are in Hungary e.g. you must use HA/K1KKK callsign. Rules for /M /MM /P still valid, so by paper a mobil station must use HA/K1KKK/M including APRS. As AX.25 addrssing doesn't make it possible, the only way to transmit it as a beacon comment trext periodically. No erequirement for CW or voice, as AX.25 is plain, public and anybody can read includin the authorities.

      This is another story wether authirity is interested in APRS visitor's monitoring or not, varying country by country.

      Practice is, at least seen in the air that everybody is using APRS as it is without changing text at border crossing.

      Béla, HA5DI

      2013.07.28. 17:31 keltezéssel, ve6srv@... írta:

      I can't speak to any EU rules, but in Canada, the rules are clearly spelt out.

      You must identify by voice or CW. You can leave your APRS packet settings alone as they aren't considered a means of identification. If your APRS device can send CW, that's what you would need to worry about changing.

      In reality, we discourage the configuration of CWID on APRS.

      APRS packets generally contain the operator's callsign, and a location, which provides more information than a CWID.

      The intent of station identification is to allow the licensing authority to determine the origin of a particular transmission, and the information included in the APRS packet provides a means of identifying the station.

      There are rules and then there's reality. Industry Canada pretty much leaves the amateur community to look after itself, and we tend to play within the intent of the law, if not within the letter of the law.

      I work in commercial radio at work, and have had an Industry Canada Inspector tell me that station identification is not a "necessity". I had a customer complaining about the beeping on their radios, and they wanted it turned off.

      The official rule is station ID every 30 minutes, but IC doesn't enforce the rule in the commercial world, and they care even less about the amateur world.

      The operation of your station is ultimately your responsibility, and you must decide how you implement the rules.