what callsign to use in APRS while abroad

  • m3uon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2013
      Dear List Members

      Good afternoon.

      I had been searching for definitive information on the above, and my
      google search with various keyword combinations over the last few days
      proved to be useless. Hence, I am putting the question forward to the
      group with a hope that someone has some information that they can point
      me to.

      Supposing you are a ham in the UK with full license. Now, you can go to
      a EU country for a few days, and use your radio with your own callsign
      preceded by local country prefix. But what do you do with APRS? Do you
      need to change that callsign too while abroad?

      The reason I'm asking is because I am slightly uncertain, and unable to
      find any definitive information on this. First of all, APRS is
      "automated" as opposed to human controlled (like voice, cw, etc which
      requires physical human interaction). Second, suppose you are driving,
      and your vehicle has one of the good old day APRS devices that require
      computers to change any settings. Are you going to stop at the border,
      and maybe find a suitable computer nearby and change the callsign? or
      are you not going to bother about it at all?

      As stated, I have not been able to find a suitable definitive answer to
      this anywhere. so I've decided to push the questions to other groups --
      with a hope that someone somewhere will know where to look and maybe
      point me to the right direction.

      Thank you all
      Sarder
    • ve6srv
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2013
        I can't speak to any EU rules, but in Canada, the rules are clearly spelt out.

        You must identify by voice or CW. You can leave your APRS packet settings alone as they aren't considered a means of identification. If your APRS device can send CW, that's what you would need to worry about changing.

        In reality, we discourage the configuration of CWID on APRS.

        APRS packets generally contain the operator's callsign, and a location, which provides more information than a CWID.

        The intent of station identification is to allow the licensing authority to determine the origin of a particular transmission, and the information included in the APRS packet provides a means of identifying the station.

        There are rules and then there's reality. Industry Canada pretty much leaves the amateur community to look after itself, and we tend to play within the intent of the law, if not within the letter of the law.

        I work in commercial radio at work, and have had an Industry Canada Inspector tell me that station identification is not a "necessity". I had a customer complaining about the beeping on their radios, and they wanted it turned off.

        The official rule is station ID every 30 minutes, but IC doesn't enforce the rule in the commercial world, and they care even less about the amateur world.

        The operation of your station is ultimately your responsibility, and you must decide how you implement the rules.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2013

          Standard practice is to use your normal callsign. And put the prefix in the comment field of the beacon. So for example in Spain I would still use G6UIM but I would put something like EA/G6UIM in the comment.

          Have not used APRS in a non CEPT country so I have not checked if it varies

          I guess you would need to change the comment if you crossed a border

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2013
            Well said!

            I would add that if you are certain of the law according to you own statement:
              "Now, you can go to a EU country for a few days,
               and use your radio with your own callsign
               preceded by local country prefix."

            Then "BY LAW", you must make tha alteration at the boarder, and send your callsign followed by local country prefix.  Looks pretty clear to me.

            The rest of your question is an enforcement question, and is likely to depend on where you are.

            Maybe a beacon or status or something will
             {callsign}/{pre EU1} {callsign}/{pre EU2} . . . {callsign}/{pre EUn}
               where there is a set for each country you will be transmitting from, would satisfy the law without changing each time.

            NOTE: if you are on APRS-IS only, that shouldn't be an issue as you are not transmitting over RF.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
              Hi,

              generic rules for US HAMs visiting a CEPT country:

              http://www.arrl.org/cept-information

              If you are in Hungary e.g. you must use HA/K1KKK callsign. Rules for /M /MM /P still valid, so by paper a mobil station must use HA/K1KKK/M including APRS. As AX.25 addrssing doesn't make it possible, the only way to transmit it as a beacon comment trext periodically. No erequirement for CW or voice, as AX.25 is plain, public and anybody can read includin the authorities.

              This is another story wether authirity is interested in APRS visitor's monitoring or not, varying country by country.

              Practice is, at least seen in the air that everybody is using APRS as it is without changing text at border crossing.

              Béla, HA5DI

              2013.07.28. 17:31 keltezéssel, ve6srv@... írta:

[...]

              A(z) üzenetben nem található vírus.
              Ellenőrizte: AVG - www.avg.com
              Verzió: 2013.0.2904 / Vírus adatbázis: 3209/6526 - Kiadás dátuma: 2013.07.27.