Re: [aprsisce] Warning: APRS-IS Server Rejected Password (unverified)

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013
      I have the correct passcode, the same one I have been using since about 1999 or so.
      On a restart APRSIS is behaving normally!
      Wierd
      73
      Steve, kf6wax   and have a great vacation Lynn!

      On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      I'm on vacation with just a lowly NetBook so I can't open a .DOCX file, but according to some other logs, the message means just what it says.

      2013G27O.LOG:Data: 2013-07-27T18:32:50 KF6WAX-5 (APRSIS32 2013/07/19 06:26) # logresp KF6WAX-5 unver
      ified, server T2QUEBEC
      2013G27O.LOG:2013-07-27 14:33:04 KF6WAX-5 Running Version APRSIS32 2013/07/19 06:26

      T2QUEBEC said that you are unverified because you probably don't have KF6WAX's APRS-IS passcode configured in Configure / General.  APRSISCE/32 doesn't alert you about this all the time because some people purposely run without a proper passcode, in a receive-only mode.  However, on each version update, APRSISCE/32 will warn you about this once via an internally generated message just as you saw.

      Running unverified means that none of your packets will be propragated through the APRS-IS network.  This means that your station will not show up at aprs.fi (or any of the other APRS-IS viewing sites) and messaging won't work.

      I checked your raw packets at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KF6WAX-5 and see that you have delivered packets via T2DENMARK and T2USANW.  I suspect that those two servers are improperly configured and are not requiring authentication as APRS-IS servers are now supposed to do.

      On 7/27/2013 2:52 PM, Steve wrote:
      I just started up APRS32  Green message box APRSIS-32 in top right corner
      and got a dialogue box as follows,

      07-27 11:32:50 Warning: APRS-IS Server Rejected Password  (unverified)

      The program stopped for about 1 minute then went as normal after that.   Without me closing the dialogue box

      I am running the latest Dev version

      I have not seen this message before!

      73
      Steve,  kf6wax

    • Greg D.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013
        Hi Lynn,

        If you have your Android phone with you, try loading either the Polais Office or ThinkFree Office Viewer apps to view the DOCX files. Reasonably simple docs open pretty well.

        Enjoy,

        Greg KO6TH

        Steve <kf6wax@...> wrote:

[...]

        - Sent from my new toy; pls excuse tupos.
      • Greg Ames
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013

          You can also run free libre office/open office on the "lowly netbook".  I think the latest versions work fine with docx.

          Steve <kf6wax@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Heikki Hannikainen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30, 2013
            On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Steve <kf6wax@...> wrote:
            I have the correct passcode, the same one I have been using since about 1999 or so.
            On a restart APRSIS is behaving normally!

            Just to narrow this down a bit (I'm interested in making sure the servers are doing what they're supposed to):

            Could you try if the problem re-appears, if you temporarily switch to the T2QUEBEC server by using the server address raqi.aprs2.net instead of the usual rotate address?

            I checked your raw packets at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KF6WAX-5 and see that you have delivered packets via T2DENMARK and T2USANW.  I suspect that those two servers are improperly configured and are not requiring authentication as APRS-IS servers are now supposed to do.

            I briefly tested them, and they currently seem to be requiring authentication like they should.

            - Hessu, OH7LZB
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 30, 2013
              After my initial comments about the verification message, everything ran as normal.

              Just for grins, I have changed from the default rotate aprs to the one you suggested  (raqi.aprs2.net)
              I( sent a message to another aprs station who is also on the internet and my message failed to ack,
              SO I SWITCHED BACK AND ANOTHER MESSAGE SENT VIA ROTATE ALSO FAILED.
              I then changed server to first.aprs.net and tried another message and this went straight through on first try!

              Not wanting to complicate things, I have a second instance of APRS-IS 32 on my laptop, it uses rotate and messages get straight out on it, this uses KF6WAX-4
              The instance that fails on rotate is KF6WAX-5

              Anyone who wants to examine my xml file, I am more than happy to send it!

              73
              Steve,  kf6wax