Re: Argent Data T3-Micro Initial Look

  • KE6BB
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
      I finally received a cable that splits out the TRRS (Tip, Ring1, Ring2, Shield) connector into two TRS (Tip, Ring, Shield also known as 3.5mm stereo) connectors. I was hoping that it would work as wired, but it won't. Ring2 is common to the Shield connection on both connectors. The T3-Micro is expecting the Shield (Ground) to be common to both TRS Shield terminals. So, I cut the TRRS connector off of it, and now have the whole thing lashed up running my KE6BB I-gate instance. It is working great, maybe slightly better than the OT-1+ that it replaced. Certainly isn't as sensitive to RF in the room. It rivals the TT-4 that I was using several years ago. I have successfully operated it in the KISS mode with APRSIS32 and GPS pass-through on a Win 7 machine and an XT machine.

      It turns out, Argent Data did the logical thing with the TRRS connector and made the shield of both TRS connectors common to the shield connection of the TRRS. Apparently, consumer electronics make the TRRS Ring2 connection common to both shield connections of the TRS connectors. I don't have a clue as to why they would do such a thing.

      Once I solder and insulate all the connections, I will transfer it over to my wife's car in preparation for a cross country trip next week, probably as KE6BB-2.

      I have revised the instructions for setting it up a slightly. No major change from what I posted earlier, but broke some of the steps out and added a couple of small things to check. Will post those shortly. Will try to take some pictures and draw a schematic or two also.

      I know, Fred, my homework is late! <g>

      Mark
      KE6BB

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "KE6BB" <rv6amark@...> wrote:

      > I finally received my T3-Micro. I bought this unit for evaluation, but especially because it has GPS Passthru. I think I can put that to use. Here is my very early experience in getting it working:
      >
      > 1. Using the OTWINCFG utility from the Argent Data site, check the USB KISS box...
    • KE6BB
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
        Hello all,

        I've had relatives visiting all week, so the progress on the cable was very slow. I did get the commercial "TRRS to 2X TRS" modified so the S terminals are common (ground), and the proper signals go to the proper places. For the splitter that I got, it was really just a case of swapping the R2 wire and the S wire. Didn't know that until I really had it hacked up, though because it was impossible to tell where they had made the wires "common". It wasn't obvious until I got everything opened up.

        I got the T3-Micro to transmit and decode with the cable lashed up with clip leads on the table, then soldered everything together. Before I heated the heat-shrink tubing, I decided to try it again. Well, it had some problems. No TX or RX decode at all. Tried some quick checks thinking that a solder connection had come lose, but the end-to-end checks looked good. I really didn't have time to troubleshoot it much, though. As I think back, I may have turned the radio's audio down to eliminate the noise (APRS packets from the local digi) while I was soldering, and forgot to turn it back up. Not sure why the TX light would not light up. I will figure it all out, but it does take time. I need to sit down with this thing and the otwincfg.exe utility. The utility has some good tools.

        The best thing Argent Data could do is offer a splitter cable that is wired for this thing. Us shaky handed old guys would be happy to buy it. In the meantime, I am convinced that my cable making days are over...at least for anything smaller than RG-8 <g>!

        Early tomorrow, I am off on a week-long drive to the midwest (KE6BB-2) but I won't be using the T3-Micro as planned. I will try to publish better setup instructions and some schematics of my splitter cable mod when I get back.

        Once again, thank you Lynn, for the great program. One of the reasons I bought the T3-Micro was to have an excuse to mess with APRSIS32 again.

        Mark
        KE6BB-2 (all week)