Re: [aprsisce] Argent Data T3-Micro Initial Look

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 19 11:47 AM
      Definitely wiki-fodder if someone has time, which I'm about out of.  Glad to know it actually all works the way it should.

      Your GPS was wandering around about like normal.  Here's the APRSIS32 view of it:

      On 7/19/2013 2:23 PM, Bob Harris wrote:
      Mark,

      A very nice write-up. Especially appreciate the step-by-step instructions.

      On 7/19/2013 1:40 PM, KE6BB wrote:

      I finally received my T3-Micro. I bought this unit for evaluation, but especially because it has GPS Passthru. I think I can put that to use. Here is my very early experience in getting it working:

      1. Using the OTWINCFG utility from the Argent Data site, check the USB KISS box (keeps the unit in KISS mode for use with APRSISCE/32) and the NMEA P/T box (enables NMEA Pass Through) on the right side of the screen. You may also want to configure PTT on the lower right side of the screen for your radio. Don't forget to WRITE the data to the device before exiting.

      2. Set up a "Simply KISS" port in APRSISCE/32 (CONFIGURE>PORTS>New Port) using the comm port that Windows assigns to the T3 (be sure the T3-Micro is plugged in so Win can see it). Win 7 is better about not reassigning comm ports than XT was, so you probably won't need to change it in the future unless you use a lot of USB devices. Be sure and check the GPS/NMEA box on the Configure Ports dialog box. If you don't, APRSIS32 will not do anything with the GPS data that comes through the port. By default, the T3-Micro is a 9600 baud device for everything, serial port and GPS (they are really the same port).

      3. Change the NMEA port to blank. That will eliminate the NMEA OPEN message at the top of the scroller.

      4. Enable GPS (ENABLE>GPS)and wait, wait, and wait for the GPS on the T3 Micro. This shouldn't take so long if you have a clear view of the sky. Above the scroller, you should see APRS-IS OK (if you have it enabled), <yourPortName> OK, but no NMEA OPEN. If you see the NMEA OPEN, you probably haven't set up step 3 correctly.

      This only covers the GPS Passthru effort. Much of it was figured out by trial and error. I think I documented it correctly, but I'm not betting a paycheck on that yet.

      My first try resulted in the icon wandering all around the neighborhood (well, not really that bad). See the aprs.fi display of my KE6BB-10 instance:

      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=19&call=a%2FKE6BB-10&others=1&timerange=604800&tail=604800

      The unit was on the north side of the first floor of a two story house with no southern windows visible. I don't think many of my other GPS's will even get a fix from there. This one saw between 6 and 8 satellites, but obviously wasn't doing real well since it would occasionally lose the fix momentarily. I will take it out and about when I get more time today.

      Next priorities:

      1. Make some kind of enclosure. It is vulnerable to static discharge damage as it is. Something the size of a package of gum should work with some modification.
      2. Take it outside to see if the accuracy improves. I suspect it will.
      3. Get this thing working with a radio.
      4. Be sure its tracker function is disabled. I have done this with my OT1+ and OT-USB trackers, so I know it isn't difficult. I just haven't spent any time on that yet.
      5. Figure out how to profile switch without the computer. I can do that with my OT-USB by using GPS valid check to determine which port I use. More on that later.
      6. See just how and where I am going to use it to reduce cable clutter.

      So far, after eliminating all of my bone-headed, loose nut-on-the-mouse mistakes, it works as expected.

      Mark
      KE6BB

      --

      Bob Harris (K9UDX)
      Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD

    • Mark Petiford
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 19 12:15 PM
        Thanks, Bob.  Did it that way so I wouldn't forget!!!

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 19 12:18 PM
          I was too chicken to even try to remember which ones it supports!

          Back to the honey-do's.

          Mark
          KE6BB

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 19 12:22 PM
            All the basic functions seemed to work.  The only thing I was missing was the satellite status (colored boxes?) at the bottom of the screen.  It said N/A in the where those normally reside.  I think those gave individual satellite status, but not sure.  It did give a message at the bottom of the screen telling me how many satellites it was using.  That is probably fine for mobile use.

            Mark
            KE6BB

            APRSISCE/32 only uses the satellites in use and in view sentences for
            displaying those screen elements. I believe the T3-Micro provides GPRMC
            (minimum) and GPGLL (altitude) or something like that. It's enough to
            satisfy all of the primary functions of APRSISCE/32.

            On 7/19/2013 1:45 PM, KE6BB wrote:
> [...]
            >>
            >> Next priorities:
            >>
            >> 1. Make some kind of enclosure. It is vulnerable to static discharge damage as it is. Something the size of a package of gum should work with some modification.
            >> 2. Take it outside to see if the accuracy improves. I suspect it will.
            >> 3. Get this thing working with a radio.
            >> 4. Be sure its tracker function is disabled. I have done this with my OT1+ and OT-USB trackers, so I know it isn't difficult. I just haven't spent any time on that yet.
            >> 5. Figure out how to profile switch without the computer. I can do that with my OT-USB by using GPS valid check to determine which port I use. More on that later.
            >> 6. See just how and where I am going to use it to reduce cable clutter.
            >>
            >> So far, after eliminating all of my bone-headed, loose nut-on-the-mouse mistakes, it works as expected.

          • Mark Petiford
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 19 12:26 PM
              I tried to write it to be Wiki-friendly.  Will continue to do that as I get time.  I believe most of this will apply to the T3 as well...without the GPS limitations.

              Mark
              KE6BB

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 19 1:46 PM
                You can change a setting (don't remember which but it took about 30 seconds to get it right) and the boxes go away and you get more map. Since there was no data, I figured that made sense to me.

                Best regards,
                Fred N7FMH

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 19 2:18 PM
                  Unchecking Configure / Screen / Satellites will remove the satellite PRNs in the circle as well as the PRNs/signal strength colored boxes at the bottom edge of the map if my memory serves correctly.  I don't have a GPS-enabled instance handy to verify that statement though.

                  On 7/19/2013 4:46 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
> [...]

                  >> Next priorities:
                  >>
                  >> 1. Make some kind of enclosure. It is vulnerable to static discharge damage as it is. Something the size of a package of gum should work with some modification.
                  >> 2. Take it outside to see if the accuracy improves. I suspect it will.
                  >> 3. Get this thing working with a radio.
                  >> 4. Be sure its tracker function is disabled. I have done this with my OT1+ and OT-USB trackers, so I know it isn't difficult. I just haven't spent any time on that yet.
                  >> 5. Figure out how to profile switch without the computer. I can do that with my OT-USB by using GPS valid check to determine which port I use. More on that later.
                  >> 6. See just how and where I am going to use it to reduce cable clutter.
                  >>
                  >> So far, after eliminating all of my bone-headed, loose nut-on-the-mouse mistakes, it works as expected.

                • KE6BB
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 20 1:47 PM
                    Just a quick update (not much new):

                    Put it on my XT computer that runs as an I-gate 24/7 (KE6BB). It is only operating as a NMEA source right now. I'm letting it dither around to see how far it goes, and to see if Windows drops the USB port. I had that problem with my OT-USB even though it was passing data constantly with no breaks longer than 10 seconds or so. I believe this is a Windows thing (Bill Gates knows what I want better than I do ;-)), but there is a way to force Windows to keep the USB port active, if I could only remember what it was.

                    Still don't have it hooked up to the radio. Sorted out the wiring between the radio connector (Motorola type) and the T3-Micro connector (dual ring 3.5mm I guess is what it is called). I have built many radios using SMT components, but that dual ring connector looks to me to be a tougher soldering job than anything I have tried to tackle. Didn't finish it today. For some reason my aging shaking hands decided this was a day to shake more than usual. Probably related to the relatives coming in this afternoon for a week-long visit. Might be easier to just buy a cable with the dual ring connector on it, and splice it to the cable that is on the Motorola connector. Once I get past the connector, I will let it handle all my i-gate traffic for a while. I will post when I get that far, but it probably won't be today.

                    The XT install was the same as Win 7, which I expected. Not much about APRSIS32 appears to be OS version dependent so long as you stay withing the ones Lynn has discussed here on this forum.

                    So far, I like the size and integration (all fits in a gum package). I am not sure about the placement of the flashing LED. It is on the bottom when the GPS antenna is up. That is good for night travel, but less helpful during the day. Probably not all that important when running APRSISCE/32 since you can see incoming stations on the scroller.

                    Relatives flying in shortly, so I need to stop this fun.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 21 8:24 PM
                      Sunday update:

                      Got away from the relatives for a few minutes to try and solder the connector up. Well, I almost destroyed it. I will probably go buy a cable for an i-thingie, cut it in half, and splice io the Motorola cable.

                      More tomorrow. Back to the relatives for now.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 22 6:33 AM
                        Don't forget to post a photo!

                        Best regards,
                        Fred N7FMH

> [...]

                        > Next priorities:
                        >
                        > 1. Make some kind of enclosure. It is vulnerable to static discharge damage as it is. Something the size of a package of gum should work with some modification.
                        > 2. Take it outside to see if the accuracy improves. I suspect it will.
                        > 3. Get this thing working with a radio.
                        > 4. Be sure its tracker function is disabled. I have done this with my OT1+ and OT-USB trackers, so I know it isn't difficult. I just haven't spent any time on that yet.
                        > 5. Figure out how to profile switch without the computer. I can do that with my OT-USB by using GPS valid check to determine which port I use. More on that later.
                        > 6. See just how and where I am going to use it to reduce cable clutter.
                        >
                        > So far, after eliminating all of my bone-headed, loose nut-on-the-mouse mistakes, it works as expected.

                      • KE6BB
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 25 4:26 PM
                          I finally received a cable that splits out the TRRS (Tip, Ring1, Ring2, Shield) connector into two TRS (Tip, Ring, Shield also known as 3.5mm stereo) connectors. I was hoping that it would work as wired, but it won't. Ring2 is common to the Shield connection on both connectors. The T3-Micro is expecting the Shield (Ground) to be common to both TRS Shield terminals. So, I cut the TRRS connector off of it, and now have the whole thing lashed up running my KE6BB I-gate instance. It is working great, maybe slightly better than the OT-1+ that it replaced. Certainly isn't as sensitive to RF in the room. It rivals the TT-4 that I was using several years ago. I have successfully operated it in the KISS mode with APRSIS32 and GPS pass-through on a Win 7 machine and an XT machine.

                          It turns out, Argent Data did the logical thing with the TRRS connector and made the shield of both TRS connectors common to the shield connection of the TRRS. Apparently, consumer electronics make the TRRS Ring2 connection common to both shield connections of the TRS connectors. I don't have a clue as to why they would do such a thing.

                          Once I solder and insulate all the connections, I will transfer it over to my wife's car in preparation for a cross country trip next week, probably as KE6BB-2.

                          I have revised the instructions for setting it up a slightly. No major change from what I posted earlier, but broke some of the steps out and added a couple of small things to check. Will post those shortly. Will try to take some pictures and draw a schematic or two also.

                          I know, Fred, my homework is late! <g>

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 27 7:56 PM
                            Hello all,

                            I've had relatives visiting all week, so the progress on the cable was very slow. I did get the commercial "TRRS to 2X TRS" modified so the S terminals are common (ground), and the proper signals go to the proper places. For the splitter that I got, it was really just a case of swapping the R2 wire and the S wire. Didn't know that until I really had it hacked up, though because it was impossible to tell where they had made the wires "common". It wasn't obvious until I got everything opened up.

                            I got the T3-Micro to transmit and decode with the cable lashed up with clip leads on the table, then soldered everything together. Before I heated the heat-shrink tubing, I decided to try it again. Well, it had some problems. No TX or RX decode at all. Tried some quick checks thinking that a solder connection had come lose, but the end-to-end checks looked good. I really didn't have time to troubleshoot it much, though. As I think back, I may have turned the radio's audio down to eliminate the noise (APRS packets from the local digi) while I was soldering, and forgot to turn it back up. Not sure why the TX light would not light up. I will figure it all out, but it does take time. I need to sit down with this thing and the otwincfg.exe utility. The utility has some good tools.

                            The best thing Argent Data could do is offer a splitter cable that is wired for this thing. Us shaky handed old guys would be happy to buy it. In the meantime, I am convinced that my cable making days are over...at least for anything smaller than RG-8 <g>!

                            Early tomorrow, I am off on a week-long drive to the midwest (KE6BB-2) but I won't be using the T3-Micro as planned. I will try to publish better setup instructions and some schematics of my splitter cable mod when I get back.

                            Once again, thank you Lynn, for the great program. One of the reasons I bought the T3-Micro was to have an excuse to mess with APRSIS32 again.

                            Mark
                            KE6BB-2 (all week)