Two port question

  • Jerry Wyatt, n7qvu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
      I decided to try and add a UHF port to N7QVU-11 VHF iGate.

      I have the port added KPC3-U/com6 & KPC3-V/com3 both running KISS.

      My question is:
      I was hoping to have UHF on N7QVU-12, but the 'inherit' callsign is on, and don't see how to turn it off to add a different callsign to UHF.

      Thanks for your repies ... unless you say I cannot do this. Hi Hi
      Jerry - N7QVU

    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
        I did two separate instances, one for VHF, and one for UHF. They share everything except an XML file.

        Refer to the following thread for some other comments

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
          A single instance of APRSISCE/32 is a single station and has a single callsign-SSID.  The "Inherit" stuff is really obsolete and I need to get it removed.

          While it is possible to run multiple ports on a single instance, there's really good reasons for running a single port per instance and running two instances.  These include:

          a) You get distinct callsign-SSID per instance and therefore per port

          b) APRSISCE/32 doesn't keep track of WHICH port heard a station on RF, so messages are gated from -IS to ALL RF ports.

          c) There is no cross-port capability in APRSISCE/32, so there's no real benefit to putting both ports in a single instance.

          d) If an instance fails, at least the other instance is still running and providing IGate services.

          e) There's probably more, but they're buried in the archives of this Yahoo group from the last time this was brought up.

          On 7/18/2013 5:40 PM, Jerry Wyatt, n7qvu wrote:
          I decided to try and add a UHF port to N7QVU-11 VHF iGate.

          I have the port added KPC3-U/com6 & KPC3-V/com3 both running KISS.

          My question is:
          I was hoping to have UHF on N7QVU-12, but the 'inherit' callsign is on, and don't see how to turn it off to add a different callsign to UHF.

          Thanks for your repies ... unless you say I cannot do this. Hi Hi
          Jerry - N7QVU

        • Mark Clayton

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
              Are you on RF or -IS only?

              If RF, what is your radio, TNC, and port type in APRSIS32?

              If on -IS, what is your actual station ID so that I can do some remote APRS queries?

              What does the APRS-IS OK pane say?  Are all the ports OK or is something different?

              Does "show up" mean on the packet scroller or on the map?

              If you focus the window and hit Control-C, APRSIS32 will place a copy of the screen into your clipboard so you can paste two samples to show us what you're seeing.

            Message 6 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
              image
              Thanks Lynn for responding....I am on IS only...My ID is N5AZQ-1..I also have a weather station which does not so up as N5AZQ-5...Here is a snap shot of what I see..I can not get the other screen to show me all of those stations I saw before this one....By”show up” I mean what I see on the map...First it was the screen above then a screen full of stations both ham and weather stations..now just the screen above...thanks for your help...Mark,N5AZQ.

              Message 7 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
                Have you checked your "View" menu to ensure that "All" is selected? my first guess, with that list of stations in your scroller is that you've selected something other than "All" in that menu.

                Adam
                KC2ANT

                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                From: hamsat1@...
                Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 23:10:40 -0500

                Message 8 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
                  Second guess would be filter.  I know I've set the value of 50 in >Config >General "Range" box thinking 50 km only to find it isonly 5 km.

                  Robert Giuliano
                  KB8RCO

                  Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:58 PM

                  Are you on RF or -IS only? If RF, what is your radio, TNC, and port type in APRSIS32? If on -IS, what is your actual station ID so that I can do some remote APRS queries? What does the APRS-IS OK pane say?  Are all the ports OK or is something different? Does "show up" mean on the packet scroller or on the map? If you focus the window and hit Control-C, APRSIS32 will place a copy of the screen into your clipboard so you can paste two samples to show us what you're seeing. Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32 On 7/18/2013 8:43 PM, Mark Clayton wrote:

                  Message 9 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
                    Thanks guys!!!..The filter range was the key..increased it and all kinds if stations show up on the map...thanks,Mark..N5AZQ.

                    Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:40 PM

                    Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:58 PM

                    Message 10 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
                      Not sure I'd have come up with that, I turn my range to 0 and use area filters.

                      Glad you got it working again :)

                      Adam
                      KC2ANT

                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com