Golden Packet and APRSIS32 UIFLOOD

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 16 10:20 AM
      Greetings,

      I am revisiting the UIFLOOD of APRSIS32.

      --- --- --- --- ---
      From: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:uiflood

      UIFLOOD SS,30,ID where SS is the two letter state abbreviation.

      For Florida, UIFLOOD FL,30,ID would be used to configure for SSn-N flood
      digipeating.
      KJ4ERJ-7>APTT4,FL3-3:
      would be handled thusly by a digipeater:
      <DigiXForm>FL3-3=@FL3-2</DigiXForm>
      <DigiXForm>FL3-2=@FL3-1</DigiXForm>
      <DigiXForm>FL3-1=@FL3*</DigiXForm>

      KJ4ERJ-7>APTT4,Digi1*,FL3-2:
      KJ4ERJ-7>APTT4,Digi2*,FL3-1:
      KJ4ERJ-7>APTT4,Digi3*,FL3*:

      --- --- --- --- ---
      From: http://www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
      GOLDEN PACKET TRACING: We only use HOPn-N paths instead of TEMPn-N paths.
      You can see how these packets would get very long, if TEMP7-7 Tracing was
      used. The packet can only go 7 hops and would arrive as
      SGRLOF-14,MTWASH-13,N1CNA-12,GRYLCK-11,SAMSPT-10,CMLBCK-9,GDHILL-8,TEMP7*

      But using HOP7-7,HOP7-7 it can go 14 hops and arrive simply as:
      MDMTN-7,HOP7,MAINE-14,HOP7*. This shows that it took 7 hops to get to
      Maryland Mountains and then 7 more hops to the MAINE RELAY site.

      --- --- --- --- ---
      I just pasted this into my XML.
      <DigiXform>HOP7-1=@HOP7*</DigiXform>
      <DigiXform>HOP7-2=@HOP7-1</DigiXform>
      <DigiXform>HOP7-3=@HOP7-2</DigiXform>
      <DigiXform>HOP7-4=@HOP7-3</DigiXform>
      <DigiXform>HOP7-5=@HOP7-4</DigiXform>
      <DigiXform>HOP7-6=@HOP7-5</DigiXform>
      <DigiXform>HOP7-7=@HOP7-6</DigiXform>

      It looks like the correct option to me.

      I am planning on using my system for some of the non-official period.

      Thanks!

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 18 10:01 AM
        Did anyone look at this?

        Best regards,
        Fred N7FMH

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 18 10:20 AM
          Re:  Did anyone look at this?

          No.

          <<grinning>>

          I always read your posts, Fred.  I saved this one to go back and revisit, but I have been far to busy with aging parents, lost cats, in-law visits, etc. to spend much time on ham radio.  Hope this eases off soon!

          I did get my OT Micro yesterday, but haven't tried it out yet.  It looks like I need a case for it before I mess with it.  It is too vulnerable to static discharge damage here in dry Southern Calif.  Was hoping to have it working soon, in time for a long drive in a couple of weeks.  Not sure I will make it now.

          Mark
          KE6BB

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 18 10:45 AM
            > I always read your posts, Fred.

            That's scary! I guess I need to make sure I know what I am talking about.
            Ack! The pressure, the pressure!

            > I saved this one to go back and revisit, but I have been far to busy with
            aging parents, lost cats, in-law visits, etc. to spend much time on ham
            radio. Hope this eases off soon!

            I hope so too! After a while it starts to wear one down. Although, if my
            cats got lost ...

            > I did get my OT Micro yesterday, but haven't tried it out yet. It looks
            like I need a case for it before I mess with it. It is too vulnerable to
            static discharge damage here in dry Southern Calif. Was hoping to have it
            working soon, in time for a long drive in a couple of weeks. Not sure I
            will make it now.

            Do you plan to use it with an HT? That is very convenient. I have been
            thinking about the T3-Mini more so. I can put it right inside a radio. And
            the GPS, if needed, can be place where it can see the sky.

            I am using the OT3m. The one thing that is haunting me is when the tablet
            powers up, it powers up the OT3m. The COM port is not always found by the
            tablet. Occasionally, I have to replug in the OT3m. I haven't looked to see
            where the problem exist yet. That will be inconvenient when and if I finish
            my set up.

            Good luck getting everything sorted!

            Best regards,
            Fred N7FMH
          • Mark Petiford
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 18 11:42 AM
              >to busy with aging parents, lost cats, in-law visits, etc.

              I retired back in December, and it is amazing how busy I have been.  Just can't figure out how I had time to work!

              >Do you plan to use it with an HT?

              The original thought was to use it when I am in my wife's car to reduce clutter.  The cig. lighter has a fair view of the sky, so I will try that with a 12v to USB adapter.  Then all I need to do is hook up the HT and its antenna.  Simple.  If I decide to use it with the old laptop (aprsis32), that will be relatively simple as well.  I think it only eliminate one cable, though.  Not really sure.  I will also look to see how it works as a simple tracker with my HT.  I actually got it just to evaluate all the possibilities.

              >when the tablet powers up, it powers up the OT3m. The COM port is not always found by the tablet.

              I don't have much experience with tablets, yet.  My wife and daughters do, but they have never been interested in Ham Radio.  Too many beeps and whistles, according to them.

              Regards,

              Mark
              KE6BB

              That's scary! I guess I need to make sure I know what I am talking about.
              Ack! The pressure, the pressure!

              > I saved this one to go back and revisit, but I have been far to busy with
              aging parents, lost cats, in-law visits, etc. to spend much time on ham
              radio. Hope this eases off soon!

              I hope so too! After a while it starts to wear one down. Although, if my
              cats got lost ...

              > I did get my OT Micro yesterday, but haven't tried it out yet. It looks
              like I need a case for it before I mess with it. It is too vulnerable to
              static discharge damage here in dry Southern Calif. Was hoping to have it
              working soon, in time for a long drive in a couple of weeks. Not sure I
              will make it now.

              Do you plan to use it with an HT? That is very convenient. I have been
              thinking about the T3-Mini more so. I can put it right inside a radio. And
              the GPS, if needed, can be place where it can see the sky.

              I am using the OT3m. The one thing that is haunting me is when the tablet
              powers up, it powers up the OT3m. The COM port is not always found by the
              tablet. Occasionally, I have to replug in the OT3m. I haven't looked to see
              where the problem exist yet. That will be inconvenient when and if I finish
              my set up.

              Good luck getting everything sorted!

              Best regards,
              Fred N7FMH

            • Bob Harris
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 18 12:31 PM
                Fred,

                Does your tablet use XP? That issue might be a XP "thing". I've had devices that use the USB to serial adapter that weren't recognized if I left them plugged in, turned off the computer, and then turned the computer back on with them still plugged in.

                Even worse if I put the computer into hibernate mode!

                --

                BobHarris (K9UDX)
                Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD

              • Bob Harris

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 18 12:45 PM
                    It is XP.

                    At the end of a run, I close APRSIS32, put the tablet (XP) in Sleep'. The OT3m is shutdown when the tablet goes to sleep.

                    Beginning a new run, I start the tablet. After a brief wait, USB power comes up and starts the OT3m. I then start APRSIS32.

                    Most of the time, the COM port is found.

                    Sleep is recommended on the WebDT since it has a flash drive.

                    In the future if I can find my RoundTuit, the OT3m will be powered continually from the vehicle. The profile that will be used will depend on the USB power.

                    Best regards,
                    Fred N7FMH

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 18 12:47 PM
                      A metal case might be better. It could be connected to the ground. Rubbing the metal won't generate static like plastic can. I didn't buy a plastic case for my Pi for that reason.

                      Best regards,
                      Fred N7FMH

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 18 1:01 PM
                        I did, but only got only the tiniest glimmer of understanding. But keep in mind.... this is from someone who is still pretty proud of loading multiple tile sets and driving a GPX. <Grin>

                        If I interpret what I read, This would allow you to use LOTS of digi's to flood an area (maybe a state) with your message. It probably better be an important massage.

                        73, Ron
                        ++++++++++++++++++++

                        From: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:uiflood

                        From: http://www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
                        > GOLDEN PACKET TRACING: We only use HOPn-N paths instead of TEMPn-N paths.
                        > You can see how these packets would get very long, if TEMP7-7 Tracing was
                        > used. The packet can only go 7 hops and would arrive as
                        > SGRLOF-14,MTWASH-13,N1CNA-12,GRYLCK-11,SAMSPT-10,CMLBCK-9,GDHILL-8,TEMP7*
                        >
                        > But using HOP7-7,HOP7-7 it can go 14 hops and arrive simply as:
                        > MDMTN-7,HOP7,MAINE-14,HOP7*. This shows that it took 7 hops to get to
                        > Maryland Mountains and then 7 more hops to the MAINE RELAY site.
                        >
                        > --- --- --- --- ---
                        > I just pasted this into my XML.
                        > <DigiXform>HOP7-1=@HOP7*</DigiXform>
                        > <DigiXform>HOP7-2=@HOP7-1</DigiXform>
                        > <DigiXform>HOP7-3=@HOP7-2</DigiXform>
                        > <DigiXform>HOP7-4=@HOP7-3</DigiXform>
                        > <DigiXform>HOP7-5=@HOP7-4</DigiXform>
                        > <DigiXform>HOP7-6=@HOP7-5</DigiXform>
                        > <DigiXform>HOP7-7=@HOP7-6</DigiXform>
                        >
                        > It looks like the correct option to me.
                        >
                        > I am planning on using my system for some of the non-official period.
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Best regards,
                        > Fred N7FMH

                      • kc8sfq
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 18 1:07 PM
                          Altoids tin? The candy isn't half bad and the tin is free.

                          73, Ron
                          +++++++++++++++

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 18 1:14 PM
                            It doesn't fit. The BeagleBone Black does though. :)

                            Altoids tin? The candy isn't half bad and the tin is free.

                            73, Ron
                            +++++++++++++++

                            > A metal case might be better. It could be connected to the ground. Rubbing
                            > the metal won't generate static like plastic can. I didn't buy a plastic
                            > case for my Pi for that reason.
                            >
                            > Best regards,
                            > Fred N7FMH
                            >

                            > _____

                            > A ham in my area (Windsor, VT, actually), made a laser cut plastic case
                            > for
                            > his Raspberry PI. I have been thinking of contacting him when I get the OT
                            > Micro to see what would be involved in getting a case made for it. (since
                            > Scott apparently is not going to offer cases).
                            >

                            > On 7/18/2013 1:20 PM, Mark Petiford wrote:
                            >

                            > I did get my OT Micro yesterday, but haven't tried it out yet. It looks
                            > like I need a case for it before I mess with it. It is too vulnerable to
                            > static discharge damage here in dry Southern Calif. Was hoping to have it
                            > working soon, in time for a long drive in a couple of weeks. Not sure I
                            > will make it now.
                            >

                            > Mark
                            > KE6BB
                            >
                            > _____
                            >

                            > --
                            >

                            > Bob Harris (K9UDX)
                            > Can MOTCH Katmai Henry David Thoreau UDX Bda UD (1992-2005)
                            > Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD
                            > Bath, NH

                          • kc8sfq
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 19 6:07 AM
                              > Sleep is recommended on the WebDT since it has a flash drive.
                              />
                              Hi Fred,
                              I have also been stopping my WebDT by selecting sleep. It's much faster to relight for the next road trip. I found that after a couple weeks of doing this, though, the two Blue Tooth ports get flaky (lots of resets and restarts). Selecting SHUT DOWN seems to clear this up. I'm back to using SLEEP, but it's too soon to see if that fixed the problem. Whatever it is seems to take a WHILE to manifest its self. The experimentation continues <G>

                              Have you experienced anything like this with yours?

                              73, Ron  KC8SFQ
                            • Jim Walters - N4SAR
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 23 7:50 AM
                                Try a toothbrush cover as a micro case?
                              • Mark Petiford
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 23 8:14 AM
                                  Ooo! Thanks, Jim.  That's a good idea.  I will look at them today.  I was going to carve out a dental floss dispenser, but it was really a bit too wide making it impossible to plug the micro into a USB port is another USB device was next to it.  I also have a piece of heat shrink tube that I didn't use from a very old Softrock SDR kit.  It looks about right, but I like the hard case solution better.

                                  I would prefer a metal case to help keep RF out, but Altoids tins are too big, even the small ones.  I can find thin wall tubing that is good in the lateral direction but will block usb ports above and below the micro is installed in.  At one point, we had a hardware store that had some aluminum extrusion that might work, but the display was gone when I checked it the other day.  Haven't looked for it on the internet.

                                  The connector is the real problem.  Finally ordered a pre-made cable that will let me split out the TRRS into common 3.5mm TRS (stereo) connectors.  The TRRS connectors are the wave of the future, but they are really tough to solder.  I have made almost all of my cables for the entire length of my ham radio career, but this one did me in.  The combination of very small solder pads, insulation that melts at or below the solder temperature, and nickel plating did me in.  I finally ordered a breakout cable from an Amazon supplier.  It wasn't the cost of the cable that hurt, it was the shipping...especially since I need it this week:

                                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SP0WAQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                                  So far, this thing has been unflappable (that's a good thing).  It has been powered on for several days now, although most of the time the Comm port is not enabled.  It goes into a sleep mode, but when I enable the comm port, the GPS spits out data immediately.  That means that if I keep power to it all the time, it will be locked on and ready to go as soon as my radios and computer are up.  Since it goes into sleep mode when the comm port is not active, it won't run the battery down...although it probably doesn't draw enough current to worry about even when active.  Still have to get it up an running with a radio, and drive it around a bit this week.

                                  Mark
                                  KE6BB

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 23 8:23 AM
                                    I found a metal cigar tube with a screw top at one time but it would be long.

                                    You might hit an accessory shop for earrings, etc. They sometimes have small case for earrings, pills, etc. If you're lucky, you might even get Hello Kitty on it! :)

                                    Best regards,
                                    Fred N7FMH

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 23 10:08 AM
                                      But, Fred, that means I probably need to go to the mall!!!  Last time I was asked to go there, my daughter told me she wanted me to take her to go shopping.  I told her that if I wanted to go stand around a bunch of clothes that have never been worn, I would simply go stand in her closet!

                                      Thanks for the suggestions.  This morning, I was looking at the dimensions for this thing, and it looks like the PC board is .758 wide.  My USB ports on my laptop are spaced .75 center to center.  Those are, of course, in inches.  I was trying to preserve the ability to use both USB ports at the same time without resorting to extension cables, but with that width, my goal won't be possible.  I just measured by USB to Serial adapter (not required for this device) and it is even wider at .85 wide, so it looks like short extender cables are the way to go.  I know I can plug in 2 standard extender cables at the same time, so I think I will just punt and make the enclosure out of whatever is available.  I will probably just use the heat shrink in the short term, and make something a bit more substantial when I get some time.  I haven't made a PC board enclosure in years, so maybe I will give that a try...not this week, but a good winter project.  Not sure how RF proof that will be since it needs a window to "see" the RF from the satellites.  Makes the toothbrush cover look better.  I will look strange in the drugstore or the mall with my calipers measuring toothbrush covers!  My kids will never be seen with me again! <g>  As I look at this thing, it might be less vulnerable using an extender cable than it is sticking out of the back of my laptop.

                                      All of this is a work-in-progress in preparation for a cross country road trip beginning Saturday.  I will probably use KE6BB-2 which is my APRSIS32 instance on my very old laptop.  With 384megs of memory, it is the poor man's version of a netbook <g>.  I call it "re-purposing".

                                      <rant>  BTW, to convert the TRRS connector on the Micro to a useable plug, I tried an ipod adapter cable that came with my iPod mini (or is it a micro?).  The TRRS male end would go to the T3-Micro, and the other end is a USB male.  I had a USB female from dead USB hub, but the whole lash-up won't really work because Apple puts a 160K resistor in the shield cable!  Not sure why, but that is what it measures!!!  Couldn't believe it.  That is why I ordered the adapter from the Amazon supplier.  I think they will sell more and more of those as TRRS becomes the new standard.  Someone could make a little money developing and marketing a TRRS male that doesn't require special tooling to solder.  Insulation that doesn't melt would help.  Silver plating on the pads would help.  Do I sound bitter concerning the TRRS plug?  Haven't posted anything on the T2 group.  Not a member of that one.  When I get this figured out, I will give Argent Data (Scott) some feedback.  If it were me, I would suggest they simply offer an adapter on their site, or at least a TRRS connector with an unterminated cable.  They aren't really terribly expensive, but shipping hurts.  That could be avoided by ordering it in the same shipment as the T3-Micro. </rant>

                                      Sorry this got so long (no I'm not!).  Thanks for listening.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 23 11:24 AM
                                        My daughter is now old to take herself, mother and/or a friend. Whew!

                                        I wonder if goosing it up with silicon would be a good choice. Of course, the variety used on fish tanks is recommended since it doesn't leach out acetic acid, which kills fish and corrodes metal. Hot melt glue might work too. I don't know the melting temperature so I am not sure if it is too high or not. You could also flood it with epoxy. All of these things make it more difficult to rework if you mess it up.

                                        I would have picked the USB Mini-B or Micro. I will adapt. Besides my GTRANS is no longer in its original form so why should this not be any different. :)

                                        If I were to plug this into my vehicle PC, the GPS would be looking down, yes, the USB ports are upside down. Even if they were right-side up, the GPS would still be pointing the wrong direction. So whether I use an extension or standard USB cable, I still need one. Plus now the GPS can be placed where it gets the best sky view. The extension is handy to have around anyway.

                                        Oh, I don't like things stuck into the ports anyway but can't get away from it. I am not as worried about the device as I am about my PC port breaking inside. I am seen enough to know I don't want it to happen to me. Many USB ports are PC mounted, not case mounted so the PCB is damaged if the dongle is smacked.

                                        So, quit your ranting and get it done already! *BIG grin

                                        Best regards,
                                        Fred N7FMH