Station won't transmit

  • kb8uih88
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
      Hi,
      My home station won't respond when I want to force a transmission faster than it's preset beacon is fixed for. My TNC TX light doesn't blink to show it is TXing and the display on my radio doesn't show any TXing happening.

      I have Enabled Beacon set. Any other settings I need to check?

      I RX signals fine, RX light on TNC flashes and stations are present on my map.

      Thanks,

      Chris
      KB8UIH
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
        Start with http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting and then ask
        back here again if that all checks out.

        And when you come back, please include your actual station
        callsign-SSID, what your TNC is, and what your radio is, what port type
        you're using in APRSISCE/32, and whether or not your radio has EVER
        transmitted under APRSISCE/32's control, or is it only an issue with the
        Transmit menu option. Also please mention the state of Enables / GPS
        Enabled and whether or not you have an actual GPS attached with or
        without a fix.

        On 7/14/2013 9:14 AM, kb8uih88 wrote:
        > Hi,
        > My home station won't respond when I want to force a transmission faster than it's preset beacon is fixed for. My TNC TX light doesn't blink to show it is TXing and the display on my radio doesn't show any TXing happening.
        >
        > I have Enabled Beacon set. Any other settings I need to check?
        >
        > I RX signals fine, RX light on TNC flashes and stations are present on my map.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Chris
        > KB8UIH

      • kb8uih
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
          Hi,

          I went to the link you provided to the Wiki and followed steps noted
          there.

          I made sure to follow the wiki instructions and check my settings to
          mirror the wiki settings.

          I have the beacon set to transmit at 15 minute interval.

          All I see when I try to check to see if it transmits is a note that says
          INTERNAL (after the red line on the top of the map dissapears and the 15
          minute clock on the top of the screen counts down).

          I do not have a GPS connected, this is my home station, not moving
          anywhere. I center the map on my location and transmit(Or at least click
          on transmit and nothing happens).

          I use a MFJ 1270-C TNC(TNC-2 clone).

          My callsign is KB8UIH-1.

          When I use this connection to my computer with APRSPOINT software I can
          make the radio transmit and see the TNC TX light glow to show me it is
          beaconing.

          Let me know what else to check.

          Thank you,

          Chris

          "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
            I do not see any evidence that KB8UIH-1 has received anything via RF and
            it has only been active for about an hour this morning, so I cannot do
            any remote diagnosis. You did have (apparently) an RF station under
            KB8UIH back in May of 2012, though.

            Please do the following to see if I can help out:

            1) Enables / View Logs / Port(<YourPortName>)
            2) Check Enable on that window's menu bar - this will enable more
            detailed logging for that port
            3) Enables / View Logs / Transmit
            4) Check Enable on that window's menu bar - this will provide visibility
            into transmitted packets
            5) Ensure that Enables / Logging / File Enabled is enabled - this
            directs all trace log diagnostics into APRSIS32.LOG
            6) Uncheck and re-check Enables / Ports / <YourPortName> - this will
            fire the <Close/OpenCmd>s and should show messages in the
            Port(<YourPortName>) trace log
            7) Click the Transmit menu option - This should initiate an immediate
            transmit
            8) Check the Transmit trace log and see what it says. If RF isn't in
            the line, then there's still an enable that's not checked correctly.
            9) Close APRSIS32 and e-mail the most recent APRSIS32.LOG file along
            with your APRSIS32.XML configuration file to me at KJ4ERJ@... and
            I'll see what I can figure out.

            10) Bring APRSIS32 back up and keep it up if possible so that I can do
            additional remote diagnosis if necessary.

          • kb8uih
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
              Good Morning,

              Thank you for the help so far. I will take this info to the shack and
              run through these steps as soon as I can.

              73,

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
                BTW, my gut tells me that the issue isn't actually not transmitting.
                I'm more suspecting that your entire RF port isn't working.

                While you're in the shack, watch the scrolling packet log. If you don't
                see any stations in there with an asterisk (*) on them, then you're not
                getting anything via RF to start with. The debug procedure below will
                still be helpful, especially the contents of the Port(<YourPortName>)
                when you disable and re-enable the configured port.

              • kb8uih
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
                  Hi,

                  I do have stations on the map so I am RXing station info. I do not have
                  the ethernet cable connected to the NIC.

                  I will check your suggesttions soon.