Re: [aprsisce] Urgent request for help

  • Bob Harris
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
      set for rotate.aprs2.net on port 14580 on the aprs-is port device screen.

      Enabled is checked on the APRS-IS configuration page.

      Internet Enabled is checked in the Enables menu.

      James, this is the fifth or sixth aprsisce installation I have made and this is the first time I've had a problem. This installation was working last July and I have checked and re-checked every setting I could think of.

      On 7/11/2013 8:04 PM, James Ewen wrote:

      On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Bob Harris <knineudx@...> wrote:

      > In a nutshell, we cannot connect to an aprs-is server.
      >
      > We fired up a laptop with aprsis32 today for use with the Prouty. The
      > program starts but will not connect to the aprs-is servers. Constantly reads
      > "aprs-is connect" (blinking) It is set for the default rotate and port
      > 14580.
      >
      > When we used it last (last year's Prouty bike ride), it was working.
      >
      > When we started it this year, it told us there was a new version. We
      > installed it and restarted the program.
      >
      > The laptop can connect to other Internet sites including aprs.fi. It
      > appears to be something in aprsis32 that is causing us grief.
      >
      > The Prouty Ultimate opens tomorrow (Friday) at 1000UTC so the need to
      > solve this is urgent.

      We've got a page specifically detailing this issue in the wiki:

      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/what-am-i-missing

      Okay, that's not going to get you going though...

      What does "It is set for the default rotate and port 14580." really mean?

      Are you set up using rotate.aprs2.net on port 14580, or just rotate as
      you have indicated?

      Have you got enabled checked on the APRS-IS configuration page/
      Enables|APRS-IS Enabled menu?

      Do you have Internet Enabled in the Enables menu?

      BobHarris (K9UDX)
      Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD
      Bath, NH

    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
        Including the computers internet connection?

        Not trying to be rude, but I find it's normally the simple things.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
          Adam,

          I agree, it has to be something simple I have overlooked. I just wish it were my computer so I could have brought it home tonight. Or I had my laptop which has a working version at the school with me today.

          The computer internet connection is good (e.g. we can access aprs.fi via Internet Explorer). At least before the upgrade, we were getting on the Internet from aprsisce (the upgrade downloaded and installed).

          For a while we thought the school (which hosts the incident command center for the event) had blocked ports but the IT person verified (1) the port was not blocked by their server. He also checked the list of blocked internet sites and the the aprs tier 2 servers were not on that list.

          --

          BobHarris (K9UDX)
          Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD
          Bath, NH

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
            Bob K9UDX wrote...

            > set for rotate.aprs2.net on port 14580 on the aprs-is port device
            > screen.

            I tried it from here and could connect. However, as you are in
            North America, you could change it to noam.aprs2.net:14580
            or even a nearby server, but if you have an Internet connection,
            and can browse, it likely won't help. It's just something to try.

            Can you ping rotate.aprs2.net or any other server? I could ping
            it whether I specified a port or not.

            K9UDX seems to be connected to T2OREGON right now. Presumably
            it is a different SSID that you are trying to get going. Try browsing
            to http://oregon.aprs2.net:14501/ on the machine that is having trouble
            connecting. You could try browsing to http://oregon.aprs2.net:14580/
            but you get a message stating "invalid login command". It will at
            least help prove that you should be able to get to the server and
            then concentrate on finding the problem.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            www.ui-view.org
          • Bob Harris
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
              Thanks for the suggestions Keith. I'll try them first thing in the morning when I get back to Richmond Middle School.

              The call sign involved is WA1ZCN, not mine (K9UDX). I switched to rotate.aprs2.net for my own station temporarily a couple of weeks ago when both T2MAINE and T2NEWENGLAND were down and just haven't gotten around to changing back.

              Bob K9UDX wrote...

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                  I actually ran into something similar at work with firenet.us

                  I'd try changing servers and see if one connects.

                  Disable and reenable the aprsis connection.

                  Sometimes it's a matter of off and on and it starts working, but not always.

                  Adam
                  KC2ANT

                    > set for rotate.aprs2.net on port 14580 on the aprs-is port device screen.
                    >
                    > Enabled is checked on the APRS-IS configuration page.
                    >
                    > Internet Enabled is checked in the Enables menu.

                    Okay, so far so good...

                    > James, this is the fifth or sixth aprsisce installation I have made and this is
                    > the first time I've had a problem.

                    Yeah, that's probably the problem right there... You get to where you
                    think you have it all figured out, and then some silly thing sneaks up
                    and bites you on the backside.

                    > This installation was working last July and I have checked and re-checked
                    > every setting I could think of.

                    Now we have to try and think of all the settings you didn't think of
                    as well... don't feel bad, I get stuck the same way too! There are a
                    whole bunch of switches that all do *almost* the same thing that Lynn
                    has tucked in there, and we have to try and figure out which one needs
                    a "flick".

                    Watch the log as Lynn says, but here's another question... how do you
                    know that the program is NOT connecting to an APRS-IS server? Just
                    because you're not seeing a feed of stations does not mean you're not
                    connected. You may be connected, but the program doesn't know where
                    you are to set up the filters. It could be something like that
                    happening.

                    It looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but it might not be a duck!

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                      Sometimes rotate.aprs2.net has too many possible translations for some DNS servers to handle.  Switching to noam.aprs2.net or even a specific server sometimes works miracles.

                      Also, just because Internet Explorer can access the Internet doesn't mean that other programs can access it.  Some networks, especially school networks, force proxies on their browsers and flat-out don't let any direct socket connections work.  If you have a telnet client on that machine (or any other machine on that network), you can use it to test whether socket access is allowed.  Simply telnet rotate.aprs2.net 14580 and see if it connects or fails.  Although I highly doubt that they've got a telnet client installed on a school district computer...

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                        On 7/11/2013 8:56 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                        > how do you know that the program is NOT connecting to an APRS-IS server?

                        From his original e-mail:

                        > The program starts but will not connect to the aprs-is servers.
                        > Constantly reads "aprs-is connect" (blinking)

                        That means he's got everything necessary enabled and it is truly failing
                        to connect. An enabled Port(APRS-IS) trace log is about the only thing
                        that's really going to tell us what the connect failure is about.

                        My money is on the network blocking socket connections but allowing
                        proxied web access to browsers. The IT guy may have checked a "block
                        list", but that may be the proxy's block list, not the firewall that
                        blocks all non-proxied Internet access.

                      • Bob Harris
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                          James,

                          The status message reads "APRS-IS CONNECT", not "APRS-IS OK" which leads me to think the program is not connecting.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                            Thanks everybody for your help. I'll enable logging per his instructions and call him. Now, it is off to bed -- 3:00 am is going to roll around wicked fast.

                            On 7/11/2013 8:56 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                            > how do you know that the program is NOT connecting to an APRS-IS server?

                            From his original e-mail:

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                              I should have added that WA1ZCN (Dave Colter) is bring his AT&T #G modem just in case it's the school's network!

                              Thanks everybody for your help. I'll enable logging per his instructions and call him. Now, it is off to bed -- 3:00 am is going to roll around wicked fast.

                              On 7/11/2013 8:56 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                              > how do you know that the program is NOT connecting to an APRS-IS server?

                              From his original e-mail:

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                                On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                                > On 7/11/2013 8:56 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                                > > how do you know that the program is NOT connecting to an APRS-IS server?
                                >
                                > From his original e-mail:
                                >
                                > > The program starts but will not connect to the aprs-is servers.
                                > > Constantly reads "aprs-is connect" (blinking)
                                >
                                > That means he's got everything necessary enabled and it is truly failing
                                > to connect. An enabled Port(APRS-IS) trace log is about the only thing
                                > that's really going to tell us what the connect failure is about.

                                Ah yes, it says OK when it *thinks* it has a viable connection... and
                                Delay when it can't get out. I was thinking APRS-IS Connect was the"
                                connected" message. I don't pay enough attention to the words blinking
                                in the corner I guess! :)

                                > My money is on the network blocking socket connections but allowing
                                > proxied web access to browsers. The IT guy may have checked a "block
                                > list", but that may be the proxy's block list, not the firewall that
                                > blocks all non-proxied Internet access.

                                Yeah, darned IT weenies always getting in the way of having fun! I
                                spend too much time and energy trying to find ways to get around the
                                roadblocks they put in the way at work. Sometimes it's just easier to
                                pack up and leave the workplace so that I can get my work done.

                              • Tony VE6MVP
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                                  At 07:01 PM 2013-07-11, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                   > how do you know that the program is NOT connecting to an APRS-IS server?

                                  From his original e-mail:

                                  > The program starts but will not connect to the aprs-is servers.
                                  > Constantly reads "aprs-is connect" (blinking)

                                  That means he's got everything necessary enabled and it is truly failing
                                  to connect.

                                  I realize there's not a lot of space there but that word Connect is misleading.   It should be Connecting.    And maybe some kind of 10 or 30 second time out.

                                  >Simply telnet rotate.aprs2.net 14580 and see if it connects or fails

                                  If that isn't in the FAQ page then it should be added.  BTW I just tried that on my system and, as expected, it was able to connect just fine.

                                  Tony