RE: [aprsisce] FW: [tracker2] T3-Micro released

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
      Yesterday:

      My first and second pass didn't work as expected. I saw no NMEA in the KISS

      OT3:
      The green light is flashing appropriately signaling GPS data.
      Checked off USB KISS and NMEA P/T.
      One beacon was sent with a valid location.

      GPS:
      It has been connected to Port A or B.

      APRSIS32:
      OT3 port configuration, GPS/NMEA is checked.
      Enables list, GPS is unchecked (disabled).

      I looked through the wiki and did not see any reference to the GPS/NMEA data
      added to the KISS stream. But, I think got did what was expected in
      APRSIS32. Would someone doing this already with other equipment verify my
      setup. I'll get it into the wiki then.

      ------------------------
      New information this AM:

      I connected using a terminal application to access via command line the OT3.
      I typed GPSDATA and found it was off. It was off even though I turned it on.
      I turned it back on. Then, I restarted OTWINCFG and noticed GPS quality
      (Reporting Options) was checked whereas it was not earlier. Apparently, it
      is selected when GPSDATA is turned ON. I had unchecked it so it would not be
      added to the comment.

      I'll test this again and a couple of hours.

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH

      ________________________________

      For those running Argent Data Systems equipment, like me, you may find this
      exciting.

      There is new firmware and OTWINCFG.

      Now to try it out!

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH
    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
        Fred,
          Leave >Enables >GPS                Checked.

        This shows the information from the GPS on the screen:
           Satellites across the bottom
         Other info at the top left (I believe)

        This will indicate whether the GPS data is making it to APRSISce/32

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
          Typically if I wanted to do something but did not have the GPS connected, I would uncheck the "GPS Enable". In this case, I leave it checked and disable the actual port the GPS has been connected to. Sound right?

          Thanks!

          Best regards,
          Fred N7FMH

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
              I am confused?

              In your previous message you wrote:
                 "My first and second pass didn't work as expected. I saw no NMEA in the KISS"

              I took that to mean you HAD a GPS connected, but it was to the KISS device (OT3).

              >Configure >Ports >New Port (or edit existing):
                 >NMEA (actually GPS to a Computer "physical connection")
                      This actually doesn't have an ON/OFF that I can see, so . . .   no worries I guess.
                       No data coming in, so nothing to worry about
                 > RF Port
                      GPS/NMEA - CHECKED!

              Now that you have GPS/NMEA checked on the RF Port, APRSISce/32 looks for NMEA data there.
              From what I can tell, if APRSISce/32 has GPS data coming from ANYWHERE:
                Leave >Enables >GPS                Checked.

              This shows the information from the GPS on the screen:
                 Satellites across the bottom
                Other info at the top left

              If you don't have GPS data coming in, the display will show "-" in these areas

              Robert Giuliano
              KB8RCO

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                I hate incomplete sentences! I meant "I saw no NMEA in the KISS data stream from the OT3 to APRSIS32 while logging". I know that is OT3 related but was wanting to make sure I understood the APRSIS32 settings as well.

                By not having GPS enabled, regardless of where NMEA came from, it would be disabled. Doh! I knew that.

                I did check off GPS/NMEA for the OT3 port. Whether or not that was true, I assume I would see NMEA data in the log if it was being sent.

                Now on to test with new information!

                Thanks!

                Best regards,
                Fred N7FMH

                   "My first and second pass didn't work as expected. I saw no NMEA in the KISS"

                I took that to mean you HAD a GPS connected, but it was to the KISS device (OT3).

                >Configure >Ports >New Port (or edit existing):
                   >NMEA (actually GPS to a Computer "physical connection")
                        This actually doesn't have an ON/OFF that I can see, so . . .   no worries I guess.
                         No data coming in, so nothing to worry about
                   > RF Port
                        GPS/NMEA - CHECKED!

                Now that you have GPS/NMEA checked on the RF Port, APRSISce/32 looks for NMEA data there.
                From what I can tell, if APRSISce/32 has GPS data coming from ANYWHERE:
[...]

              • Mark Petiford
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Keep up the good work, Fred.  Maybe by the time mine is delivered, you will have all this figured out! ;-)

                  Mark
                  KE6BB

                     "My first and second pass didn't work as expected. I saw no NMEA in the KISS"

                  I took that to mean you HAD a GPS connected, but it was to the KISS device (OT3).

                  >Configure >Ports >New Port (or edit existing):
                     >NMEA (actually GPS to a Computer "physical connection")
                          This actually doesn't have an ON/OFF that I can see, so . . .   no worries I guess.
                           No data coming in, so nothing to worry about
                     > RF Port
                          GPS/NMEA - CHECKED!

                  Now that you have GPS/NMEA checked on the RF Port, APRSISce/32 looks for NMEA data there.
                  From what I can tell, if APRSISce/32 has GPS data coming from ANYWHERE:

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                    I think Robert added details to what I missed.

                    I haven't got the NMEA to pass-through yet. The only thing I can find is that the baud rate for the Micro is 9600 on port A. Since I am working with the OT3 and a GPS that only does 4800, I am suspicious of that at the moment.

                    I did go looking for answers and posted on the Tracker2 site. So, either I jumped the gun and the OT3 is not yet covered, found a bug or found another opportunity to look like an idiot. The last one is common but I hope it is one of the other two. Although if it is the first, then the third still looks promising. I suspect I am tagged as a potential spammer on the Tracker 2 group since my postings take about a day to go through. We get that here too with not much recourse, if any. Oh well. The delay is obnoxious. By the time it post, I have usually figured out the problem or found more detail.

                    Best regard,
                    Fred N7FMH

                    Keep up the good work, Fred.  Maybe by the time mine is delivered, you will have all this figured out! ;-)

                    Mark
                    KE6BB

                       "My first and second pass didn't work as expected. I saw no NMEA in the KISS"

                    I took that to mean you HAD a GPS connected, but it was to the KISS device (OT3).

                    >Configure >Ports >New Port (or edit existing):
                       >NMEA (actually GPS to a Computer "physical connection")
                            This actually doesn't have an ON/OFF that I can see, so . . .   no worries I guess.
                             No data coming in, so nothing to worry about
                       > RF Port
                            GPS/NMEA - CHECKED!

                    Now that you have GPS/NMEA checked on the RF Port, APRSISce/32 looks for NMEA data there.
                    From what I can tell, if APRSISce/32 has GPS data coming from ANYWHERE:

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                      Fred, and anyone else who will read this:

                      I did a quick search on the p/n shown in the photo on the Argent website, GTPA010, looking for a spec sheet, and all I get is "Cheap Viagra" offers, and a very small amount of technical data.  Both are helpful, but did learn that the GPS conforms to the NMEA GPS standard which includes data transfer at 4800,8,N,1.  Haven't found anything about a data rate of 9600.  There is a chance the NMEA standard has been updated and I just don't have that update.

                      So, my question would be (not directly to you, Fred), does that mean you KISS port should also be 4800...or maybe 9600...or maybe this thing translates the NMEA 4800 rate up to 9600 or higher...and what do you see when you hook this up to a terminal program and watch it's output???  I would guess something like "non man readable" digital data (KISS data) intermixed with occasional "man readable" NMEA sentences, but not sure.  Looks like some experimentation is needed here, and it sounds like we both have come to the same questions.  My TT4 will also pass through NMEA data, but I have never used that feature, and it is in pieces while I "upgrade" it.  It has been in this "upgrade" status for way too many years.  Its manual implies, but does not state, that NMEA data is passed at the rate that you set the port for, and does not have to be 4800, but the T3-Micro may be different.

                      Was wondering what I would do when I got mine, now I know...unless you figure it out first.  I am always amazed at how much time one of these little trackers can burn up!

                      Oh, I also looked on the opentracker group here on Yahoo, and found only the product announcement and a question about the altitude capability.  It uses an enhanced GPS that is good to 164,000 ft or so.  I am certainly no good much above 12,000 ft, but then maybe the Viagra would help :-0

                      Mark
                      KE6BB

                      Keep up the good work, Fred.  Maybe by the time mine is delivered, you will have all this figured out! ;-)

                      Mark
                      KE6BB

                         "My first and second pass didn't work as expected. I saw no NMEA in the KISS"

                      I took that to mean you HAD a GPS connected, but it was to the KISS device (OT3).

                      >Configure >Ports >New Port (or edit existing):
                         >NMEA (actually GPS to a Computer "physical connection")
                              This actually doesn't have an ON/OFF that I can see, so . . .   no worries I guess.
                               No data coming in, so nothing to worry about
                         > RF Port
                              GPS/NMEA - CHECKED!

                      Now that you have GPS/NMEA checked on the RF Port, APRSISce/32 looks for NMEA data there.
                      From what I can tell, if APRSISce/32 has GPS data coming from ANYWHERE: