Re: Maps

  • n7jzt
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 1, 2013
      (third attempt to post this reply, four days ago. But, figured out that I've been sending from a different account, so will post this from the Yahoo Groups forum.)

      Our SAR operations use lots of APRS on RF, with (at least) the main vehicles set up with APRSISCE/32 mobile.

      We use objects to feed the field trackers with locations of interest (cellphone coordinates reported to 911), and updated with coordinates provided by air assets, and by the hasty team after they arrive.

      Hopefully, one of the items on Lynn's long To-Do list still has an item to provide manual coordinate input, particularly for objects. The present method uses the center-of-the-screen-cursor. Hopefully as well, that item isn't TOO far down the list.

      Since we are ground-pounders, we need to place objects with as much precision as we can. So we zoom WAY in to adjust the cursor to match the coordinates. Then zoom back out for the big picture.

      <rant on>
      For some unknown reason, the 911 system insists upon reporting coordinates in decimal degrees. The image of a medical helicopter crew translating to decimal minutes, at night, in poor weather, is not a nice image. The foot people don't need to be fiddling with their GPS receivers either. The 911 system is a PROGRAM, for heaven's sake. Why can't they select a display in a format used by the people who need to USE the numbers?
      </rant on>

      So, I usually fire up a separate program (OziExplorer, Dmapper, Windows widget, whatever) that takes lat/long in whatever format and displays them in all of the display formats.

      My mobile screen becomes less cluttered with many of the additions that Lynn includes in APRSISCE/32, and it is way less cluttered than it used to be. Three cheers from the peanut gallery! ! !

      Lots less training required of other users too, when one program can do the job (or most of it).

      Yeah, I also run it on several desktops. Flexibility is nice. Familiarity is even nicer.

      Meanwhile, my Android phone suffers while using APRS.FI on a browser screen. But it doesn't get used THAT much.

      73 de Mykle
      Tucson, AZ
      Message 51 of 51 , Jan 11, 2014
        On 1/10/2014 6:55 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:

        > Configure, screen, brightness???

        Screen / Brightness and choose Bright (default) or Dim. This changes
        the map background color between white and black, so it only works if
        you're not running 100% opacity. Use the left/right arrows to control
        the opacity in 5% steps.