new station audio announcement

  • kb1chu
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2013
      I did the obligatory search and could not find the answer so here goes. Several of the programs I have used in the past have had a "new station" audible announcement. Is this hidden somewhere that I can't find or is not available in APRSIS32? I am planning to switch over to this software as my main station program but would miss this feature. thanks Steve
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
        I have it on the ToDo list. Personally, a few years ago in the week that
        I actually used one of those other programs before starting APRSISCE/32
        development, I turned that feature on for about 5 minutes before it
        drove me batty. Hence it hasn't made it to the top of my priority list
        for implementation. It's lurking right along side of supporting fixed
        cut non-scaling maps with corresponding .INF files.

        On 6/29/2013 12:23 AM, kb1chu wrote:
        > I did the obligatory search and could not find the answer so here goes. Several of the programs I have used in the past have had a "new station" audible announcement. Is this hidden somewhere that I can't find or is not available in APRSIS32? I am planning to switch over to this software as my main station program but would miss this feature. thanks Steve

      • Stephen Black
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
          Hi Lynn,
          I work at a bench opposite the station computer display and use the audio to listen for stations of interest coming on line in my area. On the average day its quiet because I have the computer on constantly and it only announces new stations which are the ones of interest to me. I have 4 kids and 4 grand kids so I'm batty already! Thanks Steve KB1CHU

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
            Have you tried Hare Krishna... I mean Nicknamed MultiTracks?  You can nickname your stations of interest and flag them for MultiTrack New, Active, or Always.  This is far better IMHO than an audio announcement because you can come back later and notice the MultiTrack window which tells you that they were active while you were out.

            I searched the Wiki, but apparently NickNames haven't been documented yet.  I did find the following reference in the 2012-05-25 07:50 release notes:

            Extend Nickname-driven Auto-Multitracks: New - Open only when station first appears (but not during posit reload), Active - Ensure open when each packet is received (hard to close), Always - Open on process startup & Active after that.

            And this (less than helpful) page http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/nicknames that someone needs to flesh out describing all the features of nicknames, including the tie between Nickname comments and shrieks from the same 2012-05-25 release notes:

            If nicknames are enabled, and a station has a nickname, and that nickname overrides the comment, then ONLY the comment's Shrieks are used. The comment received from the station will be ignored completly for Shriek purposes.

            PS.  See http://tinyurl.com/FZB-HareKrishna for the Hare Krishna reference.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
              BTW, I haven't said it here in a LONG time, but when you're asking for a feature please describe the use case for that feature and not a simple reference to a specific function of some other program.  It is quite likely (all modesty aside) that there may be another way to accomplish your actual need in APRSISCE/32 rather than how you met that need in some other APRS implementation.  Sometimes it's just the name that's been changed.

              Notification of interested active stations is the need.  Audio announcement of all new stations was the former implementation that met that need (but not really because you had to be there to hear the announcement).

              (and non-fan of "that's how we did it before" because that doesn't allow for forward progress)

              On 6/29/2013 9:37 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
              Have you tried Hare Krishna... I mean Nicknamed MultiTracks?  You can nickname your stations of interest and flag them for MultiTrack New, Active, or Always.  This is far better IMHO than an audio announcement because you can come back later and notice the MultiTrack window which tells you that they were active while you were out.

              I searched the Wiki, but apparently NickNames haven't been documented yet.  I did find the following reference in the 2012-05-25 07:50 release notes:

              Extend Nickname-driven Auto-Multitracks: New - Open only when station first appears (but not during posit reload), Active - Ensure open when each packet is received (hard to close), Always - Open on process startup & Active after that.

              And this (less than helpful) page http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/nicknames that someone needs to flesh out describing all the features of nicknames, including the tie between Nickname comments and shrieks from the same 2012-05-25 release notes:

              If nicknames are enabled, and a station has a nickname, and that nickname overrides the comment, then ONLY the comment's Shrieks are used. The comment received from the station will be ignored completly for Shriek purposes.

              PS.  See http://tinyurl.com/FZB-HareKrishna for the Hare Krishna reference.

              On 6/29/2013 9:22 AM, Stephen Black wrote:
              Hi Lynn,
              I work at a bench opposite the station computer display and use the audio to listen for stations of interest coming on line in my area. On the average day its quiet because I have the computer on constantly and it only announces new stations which are the ones of interest to me. I have 4 kids and 4 grand kids so I'm batty already! Thanks Steve KB1CHU

               On 6/29/2013 6:19 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

              I have it on the ToDo list. Personally, a few years ago in the week that
              I actually used one of those other programs before starting APRSISCE/32
              development, I turned that feature on for about 5 minutes before it
              drove me batty. Hence it hasn't made it to the top of my priority list
              for implementation. It's lurking right along side of supporting fixed
              cut non-scaling maps with corresponding .INF files.

              On 6/29/2013 12:23 AM, kb1chu wrote:
              > I did the obligatory search and could not find the answer so here goes. Several of the programs I have used in the past have had a "new station" audible announcement. Is this hidden somewhere that I can't find or is not available in APRSIS32? I am planning to switch over to this software as my main station program but would miss this feature. thanks Steve

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
                Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

                > I have it on the ToDo list. Personally, a few years ago in the week
                > that I actually used one of those other programs before starting
                > APRSISCE/32 development, I turned that feature on for about 5
                > minutes before it drove me batty. Hence it hasn't made it to the top
                > of my priority list for implementation...

                Perhaps you had UI-View set to announce callsigns every time
                instead of the first time they were heard. Of course, if the station
                is RF only, there usually wouldn't have been as many "DX stations"
                showing up, compared to watching a feed of the whole world
                (which would drive me batty even if it was announcing stations
                just the first time they were heard) but it is course configurable...
                sound enabled or disabled which disables all sounds, announce
                stations first time or every time. With sound enabled, you could
                also have "alert when digi'd". The Vicinity Alarm add-on could
                also announce stations when they arrived within a settable distance
                range. Vicinity Alarm also had a "watch list" so it would alert
                you when a particular station was heard, even if it wasn't within
                the range set for normal notifications.

                With sound enabled, you could also have UI-View read out
                incoming APRS messages if MS Agent was installed. This is
                a nice feature if you are the other side of the shack or mobile,
                even if it does mispronounce the odd word.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                www.ui-view.org
              • g4ilo
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
                  U2APRS on Android can do that. You can also use speech recognition to compose APRS messages. I rather like that feature and hope that it one day makes it into Lynn's Android version.

                  Julian, G4ILO

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
                    On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                    <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                    > Notification of interested active stations is the need. Audio
                    > announcement of all new stations was the former implementation that met that
                    > need (but not really because you had to be there to hear the announcement).

                    > You can
                    > nickname your stations of interest and flag them for MultiTrack New, Active,
                    > or Always. This is far better IMHO than an audio announcement because you
                    > can come back later and notice the MultiTrack window which tells you that
                    > they were active while you were out.

                    That may possibly be the better implementation for your purposes...

                    Does your cellphone stay silent all day, but open notification windows
                    to show you who called, or open all the email messages you received
                    since you last checked to let you know that you received them since
                    the last time you looked?

                    Popping open multitrack windows does you no good as a notification
                    unless you are looking at the screen. So, the argument that audio
                    announcements are no good because you have to be there to hear them.

                    I agree that listening to new station audio announcements when tied to
                    the world wide feed is a little silly, and having the ability to have
                    a select group of stations under watch is a great idea.

                    As with just about anything, allowing options is always desirable. Let
                    the user determine whether they want a multitrack, audio announcement,
                    full or limited group alerts...

                  • Stephen Black
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
                      OK here goes. I listen for the "new Stations" on RF as I work on my bench facing away from my computer. The stations I listen for are new stations that are just coming into the area covered by my station. Having a message pop up would not help as I would have to see it. I know the locals and can call on repeaters or simplex for them. I am interested in the "new stations" who are just passing through. There may be no announcements for some time as once a local station is announced it is no longer a "new station". I live between Boston and Cape Cod and see a bit of transient traffic. Some of which is land based and some marine. Some are looking for directions to various sites. I can assist from my base if I hear the announcement and get right back to the bench to continue "playing radio" and building stuff. Thanks Steve KB1CHU

                      .