Re: [aprsisce] Re: maps

    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 28, 2013
      Visible is more reliable.  Windows sometimes won't fire PAINT commands at windows that are completely obscured, even if they're not minimized.   Basically, if you can see the route driving the map, then the tiles will be fetching.  If you can't see it, you might not see it later either.

      On 6/28/2013 7:47 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
      And if you're going to use Multitracks to drive different zoom levels at the same time? that would mean that it has to be visible? or just not minimized?

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: kj4erj@...
      Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:54:27 -0400
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: maps

      Driving a GPX is just like automatically panning the map around along a path.  And panning the map around is as if your GPS was telling APRSISCE/32 that you are there.  And whenever APRSISCE/32 needs to display a map, all of the tiles to fill the screen plus a small off-screen margin at the current zoom level are fetched if not already on the disk.

      AND for every tile that is actually fetched from a tile server at zoom 16 and less, the following tiles are also checked and fetched if not resident:

      1) the adjacent tiles N, S, E, and W of that tile at the current zoom (4 for every tile fetched)
      2) the tile at the next outer zoom level (1 for 1)
      3) the tile at the next outer zoom beyond that (1 for 1)
      4) and if the fetch was a priority fetch (not a pre-fetch or adjacency fetch as described here), then all of the tiles at the next closer zoom level beneath that tile are fetched (4 for every 1 in your current zoom).

      This is why you can see the Yellow tile fetch queue circle getting bigger and then all of a sudden shrinking back towards the center indicating that it's less done that it just was.  And it'll do that even if you didn't move anything because of the additional queued tiles described above.

      But, and this is worth mentioning when driving a GPX, APRSISCE/32 will only fetch tiles if it needs to draw them to the screen.  This means that you cannot minimize the client, and you definitely do NOT want any screen saver kicking in or you'll end up with a hole in your prefetched maps.

      PS.  1 is on the assumption that you're likely to move pulling one of those 4 tiles towards the center, so it'll already be resident.  2 and 3 are on the assumption that you'll (eventually) zoom out to see more space and pulling 2 more outer tiles is cheap and actually quite likely that they're already resident.  4 is on the assumption that you'll zoom in closer, so it tries to ensure that at least the centered tile at the closer zoom will already be resident.

      On 6/28/2013 5:54 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

      That answers a question I had (sort of) I was wondering if drive a GPX just fetched at the chosen ZOOM level and only the tiles that actually touched the route.
      The route includes all the tiles that make up a completely filled display. It is really moving your center around the screen then filling it just like if you did it by panning. Once you try it, it will be obvious.
      I travel with a tablet. When I "drive", rather than use my tablet, I'll take my USB drive and plug it into my desktop and start the instance from the drive. My desktop monitor is bigger than my tablet. I end up getting more tiles. It does allow a little extra distance off the path I intend to take but that is sometimes enough to see a restaurant, hotel, etc.
      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH

      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 1, 2013
        Hi Ron,

        > I had already PAN>ZOOM>PREFETCHED, at least locally, fairly heavily. How
        much the DRIVE OVERLAY was doing was not obvious since the fetched tile
        count was low. I "drove" a GPX for a road trip of 150Mi and only fetched
        about 70 tiles. I had already been through there along the intended route

        That is to be expected.

        >I am running RF on the road, so I have the purger turned off, and I have
        archived my tile files at home, so I might not need to download much for
        quite a while now. I have a library of three sets that cover just about
        everywhere I might go. I expect my overall tile download is fairly low,
        spread out over the past year or so, even though I am supporting 3 computers

        If your systems are on the same network then all the systems can work on one
        tile collection. One system could be set to purge every 20-30 days. This
        way, you will get the updated tiles.

        > I travel with a tablet.

        I normally use my tablet in my daily driver. For longer trips, I like my
        netbook (Lenovo). I don't leave the netbook in the vehicle because there is
        more personal stuff on it and it cost a lot more. Plus, I don't want to beat
        it up more than necessary by moving it around daily. I occasionally connect
        to the OBDII port and the netbook handles all the applications better.

        > I think you said you were running a DT360. The bottom plate on mine runs
        at a measured 115F+-. That seems hot, even if it's a heat sink. How does
        that track with yours?

        It does get warm but I have not measured it. I don't know if you mount yours
        in a mount or not, but, you may be able to add air holes in the mount and
        point an AC vent towards it. Try turning down the brightness. It saves power
        and should generate less heat. I have also contemplated adding a heat sink
        to the back. But I haven't done much more than think about it. Something
        like this is what I had in mind.

        > When I "drive", rather than use my tablet, I'll take my USB drive and plug
        it into my desktop and start the instance from the drive.

        > I don't want a flash drive sticking out of the tablet while on the road. I
        build the GPX on my Win7 machine, then transfer it to the tablet and let the
        tablet fetch while I do something else. the tablet is getting a bit crowded
        on memory, I don't even keep the GPX on the tablet. 4Gig isn't as big as I
        thought it would be <G>

        I assume you don't want it sticking out to avoid possibly breaking
        something. I understand. There is a lot of potential for breakage. This is a
        good option!

        I already have a power supply connected requiring careful handling. So, I
        plugged in a USB hub. Connected to the hub; GPS, USB stick and an OT3. I
        keep looking at the IOGear keyboard. It has a trackball included. It will
        require a USB device (similar in size to the memory above) plugged into the
        tablet. I'll add it to the hub.

        I took apart the tablet's desktop base. I hope to mount it on a Ram mount or
        another solution. All the connections will go to the base rather than the
        tablet. This will save wear and tear on the connections in the tablet when I
        do move it around.

        Currently, I use a mobile desk in my '00 Toyota Corolla. It isn't a bad
        solution but I want the tablet up out of the way of my coffee mug. Plus, it
        does impact the passenger a bit. She doesn't mind it there but I would
        prefer to move it. I have the laptop version so it is wider and taller than
        my netbook. With either the tablet or netbook, the cables are protected by
        the edge of the tray.

        It wasn't working 7/1 @ 9:40 EDT, so try:

        This should give you some food for thought! :)

        Best regards,
        Fred N7FMH