EDCA Drive a GPX

  • kc8sfq
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013
      EDCA= Every Darn Click, Almost. My way to pay back the help I have been given.

      Purpose: To pre-drive a proposed route for the purpose of pre-fetching maps.
      //////////////////

      First, read the wiki at  http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-overlays

      Next: read the "Gmap to GPX" website at  http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

      Next, follow those instructions to save the "Gmap to GPX" program to your bookmarks.

      Go into windows and untick the "hide extension for known file types". This option is found buried at: WINDOWS> CONTROL PANEL> APPEARANCE AND
      PERSONALIZATION> FOLDER OPTIONS> VIEW. This path applies to Win7. In WinXP the path is a bit different, but it's in there (somewhere).

      Go to Google maps, choose "get directions". Modify the route to suit your planned route-of-travel. With the directions still showing, run Gmap to gpx. That will generate a gpx file. Copy and paste that into a text editor (I use "Notepad"). Save that Notepad file to a convenient folder. I made one up called GPX's, and put it in the same directory as my APRSIS32 file. The saving process is: use the "save as" option. name your file (such as: MYFILE.gpx). Make sure to click the "all file types" option and let it change the extension to "*". If you didn't untick "hide extension for known file types", then Windows in it's infinite wisdom, will append ".txt" to your file name, and hide that from you. What you'll end up with is:
      "MYFILE.gpx.txt" with the ".txt" hidden. APRSIS32 won't recognize the ".txt" extension as a ".gpx" file it's looking for.

      The Gmap to GPX website says "txt should work". It doesn't, for me.

      Next: restart APRSIS32. Goto CONFIGURE> OVERLAYS> select: add  GPX file. If you don't see your .gpx, you might have to navigate around to get to where you saved it (or perhaps, it still has the .txt apended). once you select the .gpx you want to use, you should click "open". You will be presented with a small menu box. About the center of that box is a sub-box labled "routes". In there you need to click "lables", "Symbol" or both of them. While in this menu, you can also mess with line width, color, opacity and several other perameters. When you have what you want, click "accept". You can get back in with the CONFIGURE> OVERLAYS option. You click the active overlay, you can edit perameters again.

      To drive the GPX: Goto ENABLES> INTERNET ACCESS and insure that is ticked on. (Obviously, you also need to HAVE internet access). Next you select the ZOOM level you want. PAN to the start of the route. Click the label and select "Drive overlay"

      And off you go.

      I want to take a minute to thank those of you who have helped me get this far. Often, just a little tip from here, and another one from there is all it takes. This post represents five or more that I was given. Generally it's something too obvious, for most folks, to even bear mentioning. Those are the things that my Nutonian mind trips over. It is my hope, that by compiling them together in these (probably overly verbose) postings, I can help someone coming along a little further back not to trip over the pebbles that got me.

      73 from KC8SFQ, Ron

      BTW I'm almost exclusively RF and mobile, with full featured instance of APRSIS32 running.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013
        Nice write-up Ron!

        I edited your list a bit. Where I did, the line is preface with [edited].

        As an author of more than a few procedures, I also double-spaced for
        clarity. Each instruction is alone rather than buried. Also added "Note" to
        differentiate from an instruction.

        Thanks for your work!

        Best regards,
        Fred N7FMH

        ________________________________

        From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of kc8sfq@...

        EDCA= Every Darn Click, Almost. My way to pay back the help I have been
        given.

        Purpose: To pre-drive a proposed route for the purpose of pre-fetching maps.
        //////////////////

        First, read the wiki at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-overlays

        Next: read the "GMapToGPX" website at
        http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

        Next, follow those instructions to save the "Gmap to GPX" program to your
        bookmarks.

        Go into windows and untick the "hide extension for known file types". This
        option is found buried at: WINDOWS> CONTROL PANEL> APPEARANCE AND
        PERSONALIZATION> FOLDER OPTIONS> VIEW. This path applies to Win7. In WinXP
        the path is a bit different, but it's in there (somewhere).

        Go to Google maps, choose "get directions".

        Modify the route to suit your planned route-of-travel.

        [edited] With the directions still showing, run GMapToGPX (note: in your
        bookmarks if you followed directions).

        [edited] This will generate a data set in a new window.

        [edited] Click on "full" above the new data that popped up.
        Note: This expands the data set to include more points. This is not always
        needed but it does add more points and will add additional delays while
        fetching. Your end results will be better and the fetching load will be
        spread out over more time.

        Copy and paste that into a text editor (I use "Notepad").

        Save that Notepad file to a convenient folder.

        I made one up called GPX's, and put it in the same directory as my APRSIS32
        file.

        The saving process is: use the "save as" option.

        Name your file (such as: MYFILE.gpx).

        Make sure to click the "all file types" option and let it change the
        extension to "*".
        [edited] Note: If you didn't untick "hide extension for known file types",
        then Windows in it's infinite wisdom, will append ".txt" to your file name,
        and hide that from you. What you'll end up with is: "MYFILE.gpx.txt" with
        the ".txt" hidden.

        APRSIS32 won't recognize the ".txt" extension as a ".gpx" file it's looking
        for.

        [edited] The GMapToGPX website says "txt should work". It doesn't, for me.
        If it works or not is dependent on the application that might open it.
        Always use GPX and it will be very hard to go wrong.

        [edited] Next: restart APRSIS32. (I leave mine running.)

        Goto CONFIGURE> OVERLAYS> select: add GPX file.

        If you don't see your .gpx, you might have to navigate around to get to
        where you saved it (or perhaps, it still has the .txt apended).

        Once you select the .gpx you want to use, you should click "open".

        You will be presented with a small menu box.

        About the center of that box is a sub-box labled "routes".

        In there you need to click "lables", "Symbol" or both of them.

        While in this menu, you can also mess with line width, color, opacity and
        several other perameters.

        When you have what you want, click "accept".

        You can get back in with the CONFIGURE> OVERLAYS option.

        You click the active overlay, you can edit perameters again.

        To drive the GPX: Goto ENABLES> INTERNET ACCESS and insure that is ticked
        on. (Obviously, you also need to HAVE internet access).

        Next, select the ZOOM level you want.

        PAN to the start of the route.

        Click the label and select "Drive overlay"

        And off you go.

        I want to take a minute to thank those of you who have helped me get this
        far. Often, just a little tip from here, and another one from there is all
        it takes. This post represents five or more that I was given. Generally it's
        something too obvious, for most folks, to even bear mentioning. Those are
        the things that my Nutonian mind trips over. It is my hope, that by
        compiling them together in these (probably overly verbose) postings, I can
        help someone coming along a little further back not to trip over the pebbles
        that got me.

        73 from KC8SFQ, Ron

        BTW I'm almost exclusively RF and mobile, with full featured instance of
        APRSIS32 running.
      • Adam Mahnke
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013
          Wiki it :)

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013
            At 03:18 PM 6/28/2013, Adam Mahnke wrote:

            >Wiki it...

            I agree.

            Wiki admins, please take note. This is good stuff.

            Bob...
          • Fred Hillhouse Jr
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 29, 2013

              I plan to edit the current wiki to add the missing lines.

              Best regards,

              Fred N7FMH

              At 03:18 PM 6/28/2013, Adam Mahnke wrote:

              >Wiki it...

              I agree.

              Wiki admins, please take note. This is good stuff.

              Bob...

            • Mark Clayton
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 29, 2013
                Fred hello or any group member......
                Help!!..When I run the APRSIS32 It will not show any WX stations including my own...I a’m using WUHU216HW for sending my wireless info out..no luck...thank so much for this group...Mark,N5AZQ.

                Fred N7FMH

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 29, 2013
                  Are you looking for weather stations that are on the main APRS-IS?  Or non-amateur CWOP weather stations that have their own private network?

                  WUHU216HW is what?  Software?  hardware?  Or your weather station ID?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 29, 2013
                      So, it's N5AZQ-5 that you're looking for?  According to http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N5AZQ-5, that station is coming through CWOP, not the APRS-IS.  As such, it won't be showing up in any APRS client application.

                      If you have an APRS-IS passcode for N5AZQ, then you should be able to put this information into an APRS-IS server to see it in APRSISCE/32.  The CWOP site (http://wxqa.com/index.html) has a page about which server to use at http://wxqa.com/servers2use.html.  They recommend using rotate.aprs.net or (in my opinion better) rotate.aprs2.net if you have an amateur radio callsign (and passcode).

                      Message 11 of 11 , Jun 30, 2013
                        As I suggested, remove all of the non APRS-IS servers from that software's configuration.  You said you have 5 listed, only 2 of which are APRS-IS.  List only rotate.aprs2.net or noam.aprs2.net or rotate.aprs.net all of which are true APRS-IS servers.

                        Your weather station is still only delivering its data to the CWOP servers which are a black-hole dump to the National Weather Service.  aprs.fi seems to have a feed from there, but I was told not to encourage client use of those servers.