Any luck with a Windows Phone 8 port?

  • AJ
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2013
      Is there any development on porting APRSISCE to Windows Phone 8 (WP8)? There are several Android apps for APRS and this one for Windows but nothing that I've found so far for the latest generation of Windows Phone. The wife and I just bought new Nokia Lumia WP8 phones and love them with the exception of not having a native APRS app.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2013
        No, I have no plans for Window 8.  Microsoft is going the the iWhatever route in my opinion, and I have no desire to go there.

        My stated direction before was that I would be porting to Android when I could no longer purchase a new or used Windows Mobile (not Phone 7 or 8) handset.  I hope you like  your WP8 phones enough to enjoy them without APRS.  Personally, I now own a Nexus 8 running Android...You do the math.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32 (and potential other future platforms)

        PS.  From a quick google search for market share (dated 20130603):

        Android finished the three month period with 51.7 percent of the smartphone sales. Apple's market share stands at 41.4 percent.

        Windows Phone saw an increase of 1.8 percent, which lands the Redmond-based organization with 5.6 percent of the market share so far this year.

        Yep, I don't think I'll be putting any effort into supporting the Windows Phone platform anytime soon.

        PPS.  Did you know that there's a development tool out there that supports both iOS and Android from a single set of source?  Not that I'd ever get something as complex as APRSISCE/32 through the iReviewers, but just sayin...

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2014

            Hello,

            Do you have any favorite recommendations for windows mobile devices that aprsisce runs on that are still available new or used? I am interested in hooking up to my kenwood aprs radios in the car and caching the maps so no data connection is required.

            I really like aprsis on the PC. I live in a mountainous area where cell data is lost rapidly as you leave populated areas but aprs continues to function.

            Thanks,

            73s,

            Marcus kf7wxz

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 18, 2014
                  If you aren’t worried about a Phone connection, I have found that HP iPaq HX2700 series PDA’s work well, they have a proper serial connection for the Radio (Kenwood TH-D7 in my case) , WiFi for a Data connection when near a Hotspot and Bluetooth for a connection to a GPS if Mobile.

                  They still seem to be available on eBay but I notice the cables for the Power/Serial connection aren’t quite so widely available now, so best to make sure you can source some cables before you get the PDA.

                  Of course the aren’t Windows Phone 8 (which isn’t supported by Lynn’s Software) but WM5 which APRSISCE works very well with.

                  73, Colin M0XSD.