Re: Deleting a Map Tile Set

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
      To Fred and all the others,

      Well, I have an event this weekend that I'm....Just kidding guys.

      I really appreciate all the comments and feedback that's been posted on my issue. Thank you for taking the time to do so. I'm an ex UI-View user and was hesitant to make the switch. I'm now glad I did as I'm learning to really appreciate APRSIS.

      I'll will give the suggestions a try tonight and will post back if I have any troubles. Hopefully I can pay it forward in the near future.

      Brian
      KF5JYR

      > Hi Brian,
      >

      > By the way, I do this basic directory structure (notice the line below
      > starting with <Path> in the data block):
      >
      > APRSIS32
      > --OSMTiles
      > ----Original
      > ----CalTopo-Visitor
      > ----ArcGIS-US_Topo_Maps
      >
      > Note, the long names helps me remember better. There is a maximum number of
      > characters allowed for the TileServer Name so I make up for this in the
      > directory name.
      >
      > This it the name of the tile set:
      > <TileServer Name="AG-USTopo">
      >
      > This is where they are stored and the directory name is much longer to
      > provide more data.
      > <Path>C:/Personal/APRSIS32-2/OSMTiles/ArcGIS-US_Topo_Maps/</Path>
      >
      > I moved the original tiles to a directory called "Original". The file
      > APRSIS32.osm needs to be located there or APRSIS32 will ask where to place
      > it.
      >
      > Of course, I have more than 3 tile sets. Many are not useful for APRS or
      > even general map stuff, like an 1812 map of the US. They are just cool!
      > Sadly, some have gone away but I still have the data and tiles.
      >
      > You can actually copy the following data blocks into your XML and it would
      > start getting you a topographic tile set (like the 7.5" tops) and add
      > visitor maps of some of the US National parks.. Just paste it in line with
      > you other tile sets in the XML. The application will not find any tiles and
      > ask where to put them. Browse and make a directory so APRSIS32.osm can be
      > saved. This location is where you will find the zoom levels for the new
      > tiles.
      >
      > Figuring it out took some time. I played around a lot until I came up with a
      > plan that I could use on all my machines. Play with it.
      >

      > Best regards,
      > Fred N7FMH
      >

      > <!--TileServer[29]-->
      > <TileServer Name="AG-USTopo">
      > <Server>services.arcgisonline.com</Server>
      > <Port>80</Port>
      > <URLPrefix>/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer/tile/%z/%y/%x.jpg</
      > URLPrefix>
      > <SupportsStatus>0</SupportsStatus>
      > <Path>C:/Personal/APRSIS32-2/OSMTiles/ArcGIS-US_Topo_Maps/</Path>
      > <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
      > <RetainDays>0</RetainDays>
      > <RetainZoom>0</RetainZoom>
      > <MinServerZoom>0</MinServerZoom>
      > <MaxServerZoom>15</MaxServerZoom>
      > <RevisionHours>0</RevisionHours>
      > </TileServer>
      >

      > _____

    • KE6BB
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
        Fred,

        Your experience with the default set matches mine what I have observed.

        Now that I know that moving entire XML blocks will change the menu order, I plan to go in and overhaul my entire map hierarchy, both file locations and menu order. That should allow me to share maps between the three or four platforms that I have the program on. I was delaying that only because I wasn't sure how to change the menu order. No more excuses now!

        Now if I could just right click on a tile that I see needs updating and tell it to delete only that tile...

        Always good to hear from you.

        Mark
        KE6BB

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
          On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Fred Hillhouse
          <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

          > I have about 74 tilesets

          > One thing that would be real handy is if the tile sets were kept in a
          > different XML and allowed user comments.

          Not all people are map hoarders! :P

          Most would have less than a dozen map sets.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
            On 6/27/2013 9:56 PM, James Ewen wrote:
            > Most would have less than a dozen map sets.

            MOST would have one, the original OSM.

            SOME would have a few, maybe 3 or 4

            a FEW would have more, maybe 10 or so

            FRED would have 74 (and about to add 8-10 more!)

            PS. Did you know that meters per second forecasted over time (and not
            converted) is not good to compare against a distance in miles or even
            Kilometers? Don't ask, but KJ4ERJ-12 has been walking the neighborhood
            again.
          • Brian
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
              Gentlemen,

              I have an event this weekend that I'm....Just kidding.

              Thank you to Fred, Lynn and the bunch for all the suggestions and comments. I got it worked out and all is well.

              I'm an ex UI-View user who was hesitant to switch, but am now learning to really appreciate APRSIS32. Glad I made the leap.

              I'm realizing that I still have a lot to learn to utilize it's full potential.

              Thanks again,
              Brian
              KF5JYR

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                Don't hesitate to ask questions, it gives the paid help something to do! :)

                Best regards,
                Fred N7FMH

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                  On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                  > Don't hesitate to ask questions, it gives the paid help something to do!

                  Hey, who's getting paid? I want a raise! :)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                    On 6/28/2013 10:09 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                    > On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Don't hesitate to ask questions, it gives the paid help something to do!
                    > Hey, who's getting paid? I want a raise! :)

                    Ok James, I'll give you double what Fred and Steve are getting
                    combined. Let's see if I can do the math right. Zero plus Zero
                    doubled, yep, you'll be able to retire someday as long as you don't quit
                    your day job!

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Appreciative Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile
                    and Win32
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                      On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                      > On 6/28/2013 10:09 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                      >> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Don't hesitate to ask questions, it gives the paid help something to do!
                      >> Hey, who's getting paid? I want a raise! :)
                      >
                      > Ok James, I'll give you double what Fred and Steve are getting
                      > combined. Let's see if I can do the math right. Zero plus Zero
                      > doubled, yep, you'll be able to retire someday as long as you don't quit
                      > your day job!

                      The pay is about the same at the day job, but the benefits here are far better!

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013

                        As self appointed union rep for APRSISCE/32 moderators/wiki editors and beta testers. I am calling for a strike. Until all our payments are equal.

                        Steve Daniels

                        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                          I knew I posted this before. Sorry for the double.

                          I'm having about a 12-24 hour delay for posts to show up.

                          Brian
                          KF5JYR