RE: [aprsisce] Deleting a Map Tile Set

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
      Hi Brian,

      By the way, I do this basic directory structure (notice the line below starting with <Path> in the data block):

      APRSIS32
      --OSMTiles
      ----Original
      ----CalTopo-Visitor
      ----ArcGIS-US_Topo_Maps

      Note, the long names helps me remember better. There is a maximum number of characters allowed for the TileServer Name so I make up for this in the directory name.

      This it the name of the tile set:
      <TileServer Name="AG-USTopo">
      This is where they are stored and the directory name is much longer to provide more data.
      <Path>C:/Personal/APRSIS32-2/OSMTiles/ArcGIS-US_Topo_Maps/</Path>
      I moved the original tiles to a directory called "Original". The file APRSIS32.osm needs to be located there or APRSIS32 will ask where to place it.

      Of course, I have more than 3 tile sets. Many are not useful for APRS or even general map stuff, like an 1812 map of the US. They are just cool! Sadly, some have gone away but I still have the data and tiles.

      You can actually copy the following data blocks into your XML and it would start getting you a topographic tile set (like the 7.5" tops) and add visitor maps of some of the US National parks.. Just paste it in line with you other tile sets in the XML. The application will not find any tiles and ask where to put them. Browse and make a directory so APRSIS32.osm can be saved. This location is where you will find the zoom levels for the new tiles.

      Figuring it out took some time. I played around a lot until I came up with a plan that I could use on all my machines. Play with it.

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH

      <!--TileServer[29]-->
      <TileServer Name="AG-USTopo">
      <Server>services.arcgisonline.com</Server>
      <Port>80</Port>
      <URLPrefix>/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer/tile/%z/%y/%x.jpg</URLPrefix>
      <SupportsStatus>0</SupportsStatus>
      <Path>C:/Personal/APRSIS32-2/OSMTiles/ArcGIS-US_Topo_Maps/</Path>
      <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
      <RetainDays>0</RetainDays>
      <RetainZoom>0</RetainZoom>
      <MinServerZoom>0</MinServerZoom>
      <MaxServerZoom>15</MaxServerZoom>
      <RevisionHours>0</RevisionHours>
      </TileServer>

      From: Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...>
      To: "aprsisce@yahoogroups.com" <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:40:52 AM GMT-0400

      you might have to go into the xml file and delete it from there.
      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:editing-xml-configuration
      Just make sure you know what you want to delete before you do it.
      AdamKC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: kf5jyr@...
      Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 03:48:42 +0000
      Subject: [aprsisce] Deleting a Map Tile Set

      Does anyone know how to delete a Map Tile set?

      When I go to Configure>Map> and select the tileset, the DELETE button is greyed out not letting me delete it.

      Just learning how to creat new tile sets and had a SNAFU on the OSM file location. I selected the original location so my new tile set from a different server is mixing tiles with the original...

      I've got it figured out now and want to delete the bad tile set but it won't let me.

      Thanks for your help in advance.

      Brian

    • KE6BB
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
        Re Fred's comment: >>You can totally rearrange the TileServer blocks into any order you like and APRSISCE/32 will renumber them. I add new tile sets anytime I come across a new one. Afterwards I reorder them to suit my desired menu order. I put my most common at the top of the section.<<

        Thank you, Fred. This is good information. I was thinking about deleting many of the old tile sets that I no longer use. (You have suggested so many to try!) I also wanted move the order in which they show up in the menu so that I don't have to scroll down so much to switch between the commonly used sets. Now I can go in and do it.

        This is a good example of a post that helps out more folks than just the original thread poster. I may have been lurking lately, but I still actively use APRSIS32. Nothing else even comes close!

        Mark
        KE6BB
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
          To Fred and all the others,

          Well, I have an event this weekend that I'm....Just kidding guys.

          I really appreciate all the comments and feedback that's been posted on my issue. Thank you for taking the time to do so. I'm an ex UI-View user and was hesitant to make the switch. I'm now glad I did as I'm learning to really appreciate APRSIS.

          I'll will give the suggestions a try tonight and will post back if I have any troubles. Hopefully I can pay it forward in the near future.

          Brian
          KF5JYR

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
            Hi Mark,

            Nice to know it helped! I was changing ALL the numbers every time I wanted to reorder the menu. It was by accident, or was it a test, I found out the numbers don't matter. What did seem to matter is what the default set was. So I always "accept" the default tiles before closing and editing. Just above "<!--TileServer[0]-->" there is a group starting with "<OSM.". I seem to remember the last set "accepted" ends up there. Changing the set by Toolbar-->Screen-->Tile Set does not change the file as far as I can tell.

            I have about 74 tilesets and I could add another 8-10 right now that I found the other day. As I said earlier not all are useful. The radar tiles are a bit useless without a map behind them.

            I tend to put my most common near the top. By doing do, I don't have to scroll to the bottom as much.

            My most common it the default tiles (OSM). After that I use some topographical and then satellite imagery. I do put all of one type inline so all on my ArcGIS sets are together. This does hamper keeping the common at the top but not really too much of a problem. I really need to go back in and work on the list again!

            One thing that would be real handy is if the tile sets were kept in a different XML and allowed user comments. I keep a separate file for keeping track of the URL I find. I keep links to the images in the file for quick "copy and paste" into the browser address field.

            Best regards,
            Fred N7FMH

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
              Fred,

              Your experience with the default set matches mine what I have observed.

              Now that I know that moving entire XML blocks will change the menu order, I plan to go in and overhaul my entire map hierarchy, both file locations and menu order. That should allow me to share maps between the three or four platforms that I have the program on. I was delaying that only because I wasn't sure how to change the menu order. No more excuses now!

              Now if I could just right click on a tile that I see needs updating and tell it to delete only that tile...

              Always good to hear from you.

              Mark
              KE6BB

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
                On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Fred Hillhouse
                <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                > I have about 74 tilesets

                > One thing that would be real handy is if the tile sets were kept in a
                > different XML and allowed user comments.

                Not all people are map hoarders! :P

                Most would have less than a dozen map sets.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
                  On 6/27/2013 9:56 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                  > Most would have less than a dozen map sets.

                  MOST would have one, the original OSM.

                  SOME would have a few, maybe 3 or 4

                  a FEW would have more, maybe 10 or so

                  FRED would have 74 (and about to add 8-10 more!)

                  PS. Did you know that meters per second forecasted over time (and not
                  converted) is not good to compare against a distance in miles or even
                  Kilometers? Don't ask, but KJ4ERJ-12 has been walking the neighborhood
                  again.
                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
                    Gentlemen,

                    I have an event this weekend that I'm....Just kidding.

                    Thank you to Fred, Lynn and the bunch for all the suggestions and comments. I got it worked out and all is well.

                    I'm an ex UI-View user who was hesitant to switch, but am now learning to really appreciate APRSIS32. Glad I made the leap.

                    I'm realizing that I still have a lot to learn to utilize it's full potential.

                    Thanks again,
                    Brian
                    KF5JYR

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                      Don't hesitate to ask questions, it gives the paid help something to do! :)

                      Best regards,
                      Fred N7FMH

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                        On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                        > Don't hesitate to ask questions, it gives the paid help something to do!

                        Hey, who's getting paid? I want a raise! :)

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                          On 6/28/2013 10:09 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                          > On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Don't hesitate to ask questions, it gives the paid help something to do!
                          > Hey, who's getting paid? I want a raise! :)

                          Ok James, I'll give you double what Fred and Steve are getting
                          combined. Let's see if I can do the math right. Zero plus Zero
                          doubled, yep, you'll be able to retire someday as long as you don't quit
                          your day job!

                          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Appreciative Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile
                          and Win32
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                            On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                            <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                            > On 6/28/2013 10:09 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                            >> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Don't hesitate to ask questions, it gives the paid help something to do!
                            >> Hey, who's getting paid? I want a raise! :)
                            >
                            > Ok James, I'll give you double what Fred and Steve are getting
                            > combined. Let's see if I can do the math right. Zero plus Zero
                            > doubled, yep, you'll be able to retire someday as long as you don't quit
                            > your day job!

                            The pay is about the same at the day job, but the benefits here are far better!

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013

                              As self appointed union rep for APRSISCE/32 moderators/wiki editors and beta testers. I am calling for a strike. Until all our payments are equal.

                              Steve Daniels

                              Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                              Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
                                I knew I posted this before. Sorry for the double.

                                I'm having about a 12-24 hour delay for posts to show up.

                                Brian
                                KF5JYR