Re: Hints for using a TM-D700?

  • Jim, N4SAR
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
      I use APRSIS32 with the D700 in my mobile and our EOC with no problems. Like everyone says:
      -Packet mode, not APRS on the D700
      -Static location or GPS to the pc (bluetooth is best)
      -Kiss mode connection and watch the startup sequence: You should see "STA Connect" appear briefly on the D700 display when you have a good connection. I keep a small text file of the startup sequence on the pc's desktop.

      73,
      Jim - N4SAR
      AEC Escambia County, Fl ARES
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
        Thanks. I didn't want to waste the 700's gps and then have to get another serial/usb dongle to use the Garmin that's already there plugged into the Kenwood.

        Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
          Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I knew there was a way to centralise the map and place "Me" there, I just couldn't remember where it was in the menus (thanks for the pointer, Lynn!).

          Unfortunately I missed the chance I got to experiment last week, because Kenwood use the "wrong" socket on their serial port - the "standard" is that facing the PC you have Sockets (female), as does the cable for the '710, but the D9 on the '700 itself has Pins (male) and I didn't have a gender-changer with me, so I couldn't connect. (Murphy applies!)

          The mnemonic I use is that when you're holding the cable to plug into a PC: "Sockets Serial, Pins Parallel" which is how it is (or used to be!) on the PC itself, and common sense says that you keep this running by using M-F 1-1 cables so it's always true. But sadly in this case it falls down, hence my calling it "wrong"! :-)

          With 20/20 hindsight, I now carry D9 gender changers of both types, and a null-modem adaptor, in my "Bits&Pieces" go-bag.

          Cheers,

          Howard G1BYY