Re: [aprsisce] Hints for using a TM-D700?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
      I 've used my D700 with aprspoint and this function works. I can't or it won't work with aprsisce.

      Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
        APRSISCE/32 DOES support GPS data coming from the D700. I don't have
        handy the commands necessary to get this going, but I believe they're
        automatically provided with the KWD700(RO+GPS) which still requires the
        D700 to already be in Packet mode before you start the client or enable
        the port. And in this mode, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit, hence the RO
        (Receive-Only).

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
          For those that know the Kenwood command set, here's what KWD700(RO+GPS)
          does:

          <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
          <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
          <OpenCmd>LOC E 0</OpenCmd>
          <OpenCmd>LTMON 5</OpenCmd>
          <OpenCmd>LTMHEAD OFF</OpenCmd>
          <OpenCmd>GPSTEXT $GPRMC</OpenCmd>
          <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
          <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

          You can try these with a terminal emulator connected to the D700 and see
          what you get. It'd be good if you had a GPS actually connected and are
          also receiving APRS packets for this test!

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
            Thanks for explaining RO.
            Chris

            Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

            APRSISCE/32 DOES support GPS data coming from the D700. I don't have
            handy the commands necessary to get this going, but I believe they're
            automatically provided with the KWD700(RO+GPS) which still requires the
            D700 to already be in Packet mode before you start the client or enable
            the port. And in this mode, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit, hence the RO
            (Receive-Only).

            On 6/13/2013 6:24 PM, Chris wrote:
            > I 've used my D700 with aprspoint and this function works. I can't or it won't work with aprsisce.
            >
            > Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

          • Jim, N4SAR
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
              I use APRSIS32 with the D700 in my mobile and our EOC with no problems. Like everyone says:
              -Packet mode, not APRS on the D700
              -Static location or GPS to the pc (bluetooth is best)
              -Kiss mode connection and watch the startup sequence: You should see "STA Connect" appear briefly on the D700 display when you have a good connection. I keep a small text file of the startup sequence on the pc's desktop.

              73,
              Jim - N4SAR
              AEC Escambia County, Fl ARES
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
                Thanks. I didn't want to waste the 700's gps and then have to get another serial/usb dongle to use the Garmin that's already there plugged into the Kenwood.

                Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I knew there was a way to centralise the map and place "Me" there, I just couldn't remember where it was in the menus (thanks for the pointer, Lynn!).

                  Unfortunately I missed the chance I got to experiment last week, because Kenwood use the "wrong" socket on their serial port - the "standard" is that facing the PC you have Sockets (female), as does the cable for the '710, but the D9 on the '700 itself has Pins (male) and I didn't have a gender-changer with me, so I couldn't connect. (Murphy applies!)

                  The mnemonic I use is that when you're holding the cable to plug into a PC: "Sockets Serial, Pins Parallel" which is how it is (or used to be!) on the PC itself, and common sense says that you keep this running by using M-F 1-1 cables so it's always true. But sadly in this case it falls down, hence my calling it "wrong"! :-)

                  With 20/20 hindsight, I now carry D9 gender changers of both types, and a null-modem adaptor, in my "Bits&Pieces" go-bag.

                  Cheers,

                  Howard G1BYY