Re: [aprsisce] Hints for using a TM-D700?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
      The D700 does not support GPS pass through, and as Lynn has suggested,
      if you're just monitoring from a fixed location, there's no need for
      GPS position information.

      --
      Sent from my mobile device

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
        I 've used my D700 with aprspoint and this function works. I can't or it won't work with aprsisce.

        Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

        --
        Sent from my mobile device

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
          APRSISCE/32 DOES support GPS data coming from the D700. I don't have
          handy the commands necessary to get this going, but I believe they're
          automatically provided with the KWD700(RO+GPS) which still requires the
          D700 to already be in Packet mode before you start the client or enable
          the port. And in this mode, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit, hence the RO
          (Receive-Only).

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
            For those that know the Kenwood command set, here's what KWD700(RO+GPS)
            does:

            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>LOC E 0</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>LTMON 5</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>LTMHEAD OFF</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>GPSTEXT $GPRMC</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
            <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

            You can try these with a terminal emulator connected to the D700 and see
            what you get. It'd be good if you had a GPS actually connected and are
            also receiving APRS packets for this test!

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
              Thanks for explaining RO.
              Chris

              Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

              APRSISCE/32 DOES support GPS data coming from the D700. I don't have
              handy the commands necessary to get this going, but I believe they're
              automatically provided with the KWD700(RO+GPS) which still requires the
              D700 to already be in Packet mode before you start the client or enable
              the port. And in this mode, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit, hence the RO
              (Receive-Only).

              On 6/13/2013 6:24 PM, Chris wrote:
              > I 've used my D700 with aprspoint and this function works. I can't or it won't work with aprsisce.
              >
              > Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

            • Jim, N4SAR
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
                I use APRSIS32 with the D700 in my mobile and our EOC with no problems. Like everyone says:
                -Packet mode, not APRS on the D700
                -Static location or GPS to the pc (bluetooth is best)
                -Kiss mode connection and watch the startup sequence: You should see "STA Connect" appear briefly on the D700 display when you have a good connection. I keep a small text file of the startup sequence on the pc's desktop.

                73,
                Jim - N4SAR
                AEC Escambia County, Fl ARES
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
                  Thanks. I didn't want to waste the 700's gps and then have to get another serial/usb dongle to use the Garmin that's already there plugged into the Kenwood.

                  Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I knew there was a way to centralise the map and place "Me" there, I just couldn't remember where it was in the menus (thanks for the pointer, Lynn!).

                    Unfortunately I missed the chance I got to experiment last week, because Kenwood use the "wrong" socket on their serial port - the "standard" is that facing the PC you have Sockets (female), as does the cable for the '710, but the D9 on the '700 itself has Pins (male) and I didn't have a gender-changer with me, so I couldn't connect. (Murphy applies!)

                    The mnemonic I use is that when you're holding the cable to plug into a PC: "Sockets Serial, Pins Parallel" which is how it is (or used to be!) on the PC itself, and common sense says that you keep this running by using M-F 1-1 cables so it's always true. But sadly in this case it falls down, hence my calling it "wrong"! :-)

                    With 20/20 hindsight, I now carry D9 gender changers of both types, and a null-modem adaptor, in my "Bits&Pieces" go-bag.

                    Cheers,

                    Howard G1BYY