RE: [aprsisce] Re: Hints for using a TM-D700?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
      Does the D700 have a GPS data pass-through? If yes, you might try it again. At some point, code was added to use data from the data port. If not, then the second puck or Y-cable makes sense. I understand the D710 has this feature.

      Probably the safest route to a successful event on short notice with a D700/D710 is to set the radio to PACKET and forget about APRS mode. This basically uses the radio for its TNC only. In this mode, a GPS needs to be only connected to the PC.

      You do give up radio features by using PACKET. You should pick most if not all using APRSIS32.

      "but tonight I get one chance to play with one briefly." makes me think of this link:

      This may get you thinking in a good direction: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration. I am leaning toward KWD700(KISS) as the correct port to use.

      I don't have one of these radios so this is basically semi-informed opinion. Hopefully someone with a D700 has some extra input.

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
          The D700 does not support GPS pass through, and as Lynn has suggested,
          if you're just monitoring from a fixed location, there's no need for
          GPS position information.

          --
          Sent from my mobile device

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
            I 've used my D700 with aprspoint and this function works. I can't or it won't work with aprsisce.

            Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

            --
            Sent from my mobile device

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
              APRSISCE/32 DOES support GPS data coming from the D700. I don't have
              handy the commands necessary to get this going, but I believe they're
              automatically provided with the KWD700(RO+GPS) which still requires the
              D700 to already be in Packet mode before you start the client or enable
              the port. And in this mode, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit, hence the RO
              (Receive-Only).

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
                For those that know the Kenwood command set, here's what KWD700(RO+GPS)
                does:

                <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>LOC E 0</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>LTMON 5</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>LTMHEAD OFF</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>GPSTEXT $GPRMC</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
                <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

                You can try these with a terminal emulator connected to the D700 and see
                what you get. It'd be good if you had a GPS actually connected and are
                also receiving APRS packets for this test!

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
                  Thanks for explaining RO.
                  Chris

                  Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                  APRSISCE/32 DOES support GPS data coming from the D700. I don't have
                  handy the commands necessary to get this going, but I believe they're
                  automatically provided with the KWD700(RO+GPS) which still requires the
                  D700 to already be in Packet mode before you start the client or enable
                  the port. And in this mode, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit, hence the RO
                  (Receive-Only).

                  On 6/13/2013 6:24 PM, Chris wrote:
                  > I 've used my D700 with aprspoint and this function works. I can't or it won't work with aprsisce.
                  >
                  > Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                • Jim, N4SAR
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
                    I use APRSIS32 with the D700 in my mobile and our EOC with no problems. Like everyone says:
                    -Packet mode, not APRS on the D700
                    -Static location or GPS to the pc (bluetooth is best)
                    -Kiss mode connection and watch the startup sequence: You should see "STA Connect" appear briefly on the D700 display when you have a good connection. I keep a small text file of the startup sequence on the pc's desktop.

                    73,
                    Jim - N4SAR
                    AEC Escambia County, Fl ARES
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
                      Thanks. I didn't want to waste the 700's gps and then have to get another serial/usb dongle to use the Garmin that's already there plugged into the Kenwood.

                      Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                        Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I knew there was a way to centralise the map and place "Me" there, I just couldn't remember where it was in the menus (thanks for the pointer, Lynn!).

                        Unfortunately I missed the chance I got to experiment last week, because Kenwood use the "wrong" socket on their serial port - the "standard" is that facing the PC you have Sockets (female), as does the cable for the '710, but the D9 on the '700 itself has Pins (male) and I didn't have a gender-changer with me, so I couldn't connect. (Murphy applies!)

                        The mnemonic I use is that when you're holding the cable to plug into a PC: "Sockets Serial, Pins Parallel" which is how it is (or used to be!) on the PC itself, and common sense says that you keep this running by using M-F 1-1 cables so it's always true. But sadly in this case it falls down, hence my calling it "wrong"! :-)

                        With 20/20 hindsight, I now carry D9 gender changers of both types, and a null-modem adaptor, in my "Bits&Pieces" go-bag.

                        Cheers,

                        Howard G1BYY