Hints for using a TM-D700?

  • Howard
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
      I am going to be using a TM-D700 and APRSIS32 at an event at the end of the month, for tracking elements on a charity walk. Someone else said they'd tried this combination and "it didn't work", but with no further detail.

      I don't have a '700, but tonight I get one chance to play with one briefly.

      Searched pages on the web seem to say to set the port as KISS, but I think there are now more relevant types: TMD700(KISS) and TMD700(RO+G - the rest of this one doesn't fit in the box!

      I am going to start with TMD700 (KISS) and hope that is the right one, with the radio set to Packet, rather than APRS mode. There is no requirement to transmit (or digipeat), it's all about showing stations heard on the map.

      Any hints on setting this up?

      73,

      Howard G1BYY
    • kb8uih
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
        In my case I couldn't get the computer to see the gps data from my Kenwood 700 for movement of my mobile. I have a Garmin puck antenna on the dash connected to my radio. The problem was solved by adding separate puck on the dash that I didn't want to use but had to and telling APRSISCE that another port for NMEA was hooked up. If anyone can help us with the D700 I would appreciate it.
        Thanks,
        Chris

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
          Does the D700 have a GPS data pass-through? If yes, you might try it again. At some point, code was added to use data from the data port. If not, then the second puck or Y-cable makes sense. I understand the D710 has this feature.

          Probably the safest route to a successful event on short notice with a D700/D710 is to set the radio to PACKET and forget about APRS mode. This basically uses the radio for its TNC only. In this mode, a GPS needs to be only connected to the PC.

          You do give up radio features by using PACKET. You should pick most if not all using APRSIS32.

          "but tonight I get one chance to play with one briefly." makes me think of this link:

          This may get you thinking in a good direction: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration. I am leaning toward KWD700(KISS) as the correct port to use.

          I don't have one of these radios so this is basically semi-informed opinion. Hopefully someone with a D700 has some extra input.

          Best regards,
          Fred N7FMH

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
              The D700 does not support GPS pass through, and as Lynn has suggested,
              if you're just monitoring from a fixed location, there's no need for
              GPS position information.

              --
              Sent from my mobile device

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
                I 've used my D700 with aprspoint and this function works. I can't or it won't work with aprsisce.

                Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                --
                Sent from my mobile device

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
                  APRSISCE/32 DOES support GPS data coming from the D700. I don't have
                  handy the commands necessary to get this going, but I believe they're
                  automatically provided with the KWD700(RO+GPS) which still requires the
                  D700 to already be in Packet mode before you start the client or enable
                  the port. And in this mode, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit, hence the RO
                  (Receive-Only).

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
                    For those that know the Kenwood command set, here's what KWD700(RO+GPS)
                    does:

                    <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                    <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                    <OpenCmd>LOC E 0</OpenCmd>
                    <OpenCmd>LTMON 5</OpenCmd>
                    <OpenCmd>LTMHEAD OFF</OpenCmd>
                    <OpenCmd>GPSTEXT $GPRMC</OpenCmd>
                    <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
                    <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

                    You can try these with a terminal emulator connected to the D700 and see
                    what you get. It'd be good if you had a GPS actually connected and are
                    also receiving APRS packets for this test!

                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 13, 2013
                      Thanks for explaining RO.
                      Chris

                      Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                      APRSISCE/32 DOES support GPS data coming from the D700. I don't have
                      handy the commands necessary to get this going, but I believe they're
                      automatically provided with the KWD700(RO+GPS) which still requires the
                      D700 to already be in Packet mode before you start the client or enable
                      the port. And in this mode, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit, hence the RO
                      (Receive-Only).

                      On 6/13/2013 6:24 PM, Chris wrote:
                      > I 've used my D700 with aprspoint and this function works. I can't or it won't work with aprsisce.
                      >
                      > Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                    • Jim, N4SAR
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
                        I use APRSIS32 with the D700 in my mobile and our EOC with no problems. Like everyone says:
                        -Packet mode, not APRS on the D700
                        -Static location or GPS to the pc (bluetooth is best)
                        -Kiss mode connection and watch the startup sequence: You should see "STA Connect" appear briefly on the D700 display when you have a good connection. I keep a small text file of the startup sequence on the pc's desktop.

                        73,
                        Jim - N4SAR
                        AEC Escambia County, Fl ARES
                      • Chris
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 14, 2013
                          Thanks. I didn't want to waste the 700's gps and then have to get another serial/usb dongle to use the Garmin that's already there plugged into the Kenwood.

                          Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                            Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I knew there was a way to centralise the map and place "Me" there, I just couldn't remember where it was in the menus (thanks for the pointer, Lynn!).

                            Unfortunately I missed the chance I got to experiment last week, because Kenwood use the "wrong" socket on their serial port - the "standard" is that facing the PC you have Sockets (female), as does the cable for the '710, but the D9 on the '700 itself has Pins (male) and I didn't have a gender-changer with me, so I couldn't connect. (Murphy applies!)

                            The mnemonic I use is that when you're holding the cable to plug into a PC: "Sockets Serial, Pins Parallel" which is how it is (or used to be!) on the PC itself, and common sense says that you keep this running by using M-F 1-1 cables so it's always true. But sadly in this case it falls down, hence my calling it "wrong"! :-)

                            With 20/20 hindsight, I now carry D9 gender changers of both types, and a null-modem adaptor, in my "Bits&Pieces" go-bag.

                            Cheers,

                            Howard G1BYY