Re: [aprsisce] Need to block invalid format digi site?

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 12, 2013
      On 6/12/2013 1:26 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      Are you able to see any of the packets in question?

      The only thing I can see anything with is APRS.FI.

      I added a b/GRNSAZ filter test to my APRSISCE/32 RF monitor instance and have only seen:

      2013-06-12T16:51:52.114 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(b/GRNSAZ)) [0]GRNSAZ>UIDIGI,qAR,N7QVU-11:UIDIGI 1.9

      Asking it for the traffic counts, APRSISCE/32 IGates have only been receiving one per hour, but skipped two recent hours (the I: line below):

      UIDIGI 1.9

      Sym: Red Dot (//)
      Packet(45m46s):GRNSAZ NW 7382mi N7QVU-11
      I: 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1
      FromME: 5649mi E (94º)
      GridSquare: JJ00aa
      0000.00N 00000.00E
      2013-06-12 16:51:52 (45m41s)
      AltNet: UIDIGI
      RemRF

      But now that I've said that, I wonder if it counts parse-failed packets?  I suspect it doesn't because it's not even sure if it can trust the source callsign.  Even my FilterTest probably won't pick it up because ParseFailed packets are dropped pretty early in the packet processing.

    • Heikki Hannikainen
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
        On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Jerry Wyatt, n7qvu <n7qvu@...> wrote:
        I understand the official position, but its been discussed here many times certain needs to block packets/users 'behaving' badly.

        Having a few bad packets on the Internet (aprs.fi / APRS-IS) doesn't do much harm to anyone, especially if the digi only damages its own position packets. It'd be worse if the digi retransmitted corrupted versions of packets sent by other stations, but apparently that's not happening in this case.

        In general, I think it's better to have these bad packets go through the igates and to aprs.fi, so that we know about them, and that they're archived for everyone to see. It probably encourages fixing problems better than if we just started to ignore the problem. If we hide bad received packets on the igates, they don't magically disappear from RF.

        The problem needs to be fixed at the source, and not just hidden from one view. I'd much rather increase the visibility of bad configurations and increase the peer pressure to get them fixed.

        - Hessu, OH7LZB (aprs.fi)

      • Jerry Wyatt, n7qvu
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
          Just heard that GRNSAZ digi was shutdown yesterday. I checked APRS.FI and confirmed that it doesn't seem to be beaconing.

          Last beacon(RIP):
          2013-06-12 14:58:32 PDT: GRNSAZ>

          Thanks to the AZ Freq Coordinators for quick action,

          Jerry Wyatt - N7QVU
          Overgaard, AZ
          On 6/12/2013 1:26 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          Are you able to see any of the packets in question?

          The only thing I can see anything with is APRS.FI.

          I added a b/GRNSAZ filter test to my APRSISCE/32 RF monitor instance and have only seen: 2013-06-12T16:51:52.114 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(b/GRNSAZ)) [0]GRNSAZ>UIDIGI,qAR,N7QVU-11:UIDIGI 1.9 Asking it for the traffic counts, APRSISCE/32 IGates have only been receiving one per hour, but skipped two recent hours (the I: line below):
          UIDIGI 1.9

          Sym: Red Dot (//)
          Packet(45m46s):GRNSAZ NW 7382mi N7QVU-11
          I: 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1
          FromME: 5649mi E (94º)
          GridSquare: JJ00aa
          0000.00N 00000.00E
          2013-06-12 16:51:52 (45m41s)
          AltNet: UIDIGI
          RemRF
          But now that I've said that, I wonder if it counts parse-failed packets?  I suspect it doesn't because it's not even sure if it can trust the source callsign.  Even my FilterTest probably won't pick it up because ParseFailed packets are dropped pretty early in the packet processing. Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013

            Is that not a bit cutting off your nose to spite your face? It might have been sending it’s own location incorrectly, but now everyone has lost a well sited digi.

            If I read correctly it was digipeating fine, and you said it was needed.

            Steve Daniels

            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
              Tossing out the baby with the bathwater is sometimes the only solution
              you can get.

              If they were able to remotely disable the digipeater, they should have
              been able to remotely correct the error as well.

              If they made a trip up to the digipeater, there too was an opportunity
              to correct the issue.

              Sometimes people would rather just pull the plug than fix the issue.
              There's less work involved.

              It's amazing how often there are communications issues in a hobby that
              is all about communicating.

              --
              Sent from my mobile device

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
                There will still be a digipeater but that that one.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
                  There is a coordination group working on this problem. And it looks likes it
                  is getting rectified. And that will mean a new functioning properly
                  functioning digi. So this is really actually good news.

                  Best regards,
                  Fred N7FMH

                • Jerry Wyatt, n7qvu
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
                    The site(GRNSAZ) was taken down mainly because the owner would not maintain it nor let anyone else. It had not been digi-ing for many months. Most everybody thought it had died, until I showed them via APRS.fi it was beaconing every 30 minutes. Info I obtained about the owner was that he just allowed a friend to install it in his building site and friend is gone now!

                    I anticipate a new digi will be operation by end of this month on the same mountain(10,500') but at a different building site. There has been a large hole in the network here w/o that site.

                    I don't care who owns the active digi on that great site in NE Arizona, just that there is one and its maintained.

                    Thanks again,
                    Jerry - N7QVU

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
                      Remember, a fully functioning digi also includes local DIRECT beacons
                      of recommended FREQ objects in the area. see:
                      http://aprs.org/localinfo.html

                      thanks
                      Bob, WB4APR