D710-generated packets (was: APRS question)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2013
      (Copying the group because there's probably more than just you interested in the answer)

      On 6/12/2013 11:06 AM, Larry Snyder wrote:
      My TM-D710A (HK2LS-1)  is connected via the port to a computer which is running your software as HK2LS-9.

      Ok, my assumptions are as follows:

      You have a D710 running in APRS mode as HK2LS-1

      "the port" must mean the TNC port on the D710 is connected to a PC running APRSIS32

      The APRSIS32 instance is HK2LS-9

      Since HK2LS-1 appears to be independently beaconing, you must be using the KWD710(APRS) port type?

      If you look at the path below it shows packets being routed through 5K1PRS-1.

      5K1PRS-1 must be a digipeater somewhere within range of your station.

        K2LS-1>Q1QQ2Q via 5K1PRS-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,HK2LS-9

      Given those assumptions, and the single packet showing at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=HK2LS-1 which seems to be the same as the one you quoted:

      2013-06-12 11:01:48 EDT: HK2LS-1>Q1QQ2Q,5K1PRS-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,HK2LS-9:`f*<0x1e>l>[#/]"4=}=

      Why would the connection not be direct between HK2LS-1 to HK2LS-9?

      The answer to your question is that the D710 doesn't deliver its own generated packets to the connected PC in APRS mode (Ok, so it doesn't even generate packets in any other mode).  APRSIS32 will only hear packets generated by the D710 if digipeats of those packets are subsequently heard and decoded, hence the appearance of 5K1PRS-1* in the path.  This is WAD - Working As Designed (by Kenwood).

      PS.  The TinyTrak4 has an option to send all internally generated packets out the PC port for just this reason!