Feature suggestion? - retrieve missed messages

  • Greg D
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2013
      Hi Lynn,

      In a follow-up to my earlier message about emcomm messaging, a thought
      came to mind. Can a station query another station for past messages,
      e.g. ones that may have been sent but not delivered? If a message times
      out for lack of acknowledgment, stick it on a (finite-sized) queue under
      the call sign of the destination, then if a ?msg query is received from
      that station, re-send the message(s) as the reply?

      Greg KO6TH
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2013
        APRSISCE/32 supports the ?APRSM query from aprs101.pdf:

        > APRSM
        > Query: Directed — Query an individual station for
        > outstanding unacknowledged or undelivered
        > messages
        > Response: All outstanding messages for the querying station

        But APRSISCE/32 doesn't actually send ALL outstanding messages, but
        retriggers the second set of retries described on the Wiki at
        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/message-retries (read the Wiki for a
        complete description of message retries).

        > Now, here's the Retrigger feature, known as "Message-On-Heard" on page
        > 10 (20 in Acrobat) in aprs101.pdf (the "bible" of APRS). If a beacon
        > is heard from a station that has exhausted the Final Retry (or you hit
        > the Retry button), a whole new set of retries is initiated. This is
        > indicated by "Second Retry n of m in s seconds" being displayed in the
        > dialog. When the full set of retriggered retries have been exhausted
        > (another 7 transmissions over 6 minutes), the dialog will say "FINAL
        > Retry (N) sent M minutes ago" and stay that way until a) the station
        > sends a ?APRSM query or b) you manually re-retrigger (Retry) it or c)
        > you Abort it.

        The reason APRSISCE/32 doesn't simply send all outstanding messages is
        to preserve the message sequence. Specifically (from the same Wiki page):

        > Multiple messages for a single recipient are delivered in the order
        > they were entered. This means that if a particular message to a
        > specific recipient exhausts is retries, all subsequent pending
        > messages will be blocked for that recipient. The Pending Messages list
        > will show all messages for a given recipient, but only the oldest one
        > is actually being transmitted and retried.

        Note, however, that any message beginning with a ? is assume to be a
        query and is transmitted without requesting an acknowledgement.

        I also hope to implement the capability to save Pending
        (non-acknowledged) messages across a restart. This will probably be an
        operator-initiated choice on the current close warning message about
        Pending Messages.