Re: [aprsisce] Drive a GPX

  • kc8sfq
    Message 1 of 24 , May 28, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 663 Bytes

    Hi Bob,
    Yes, I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file extension types without going all the way back to making a new GPX and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension. Though, once I get my head around this thing, I will be doing many of them from scratch.

    I just read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my step by step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this thread....EDCA stands for Every Darn Click Almost)

    Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ  Ron
    +++++++++++++++++++++

    But, it sounds like there may be something in your
    > GPX file that APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn asked you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm sure he can figure out what's going on.
    >
    > Bob...

  • Don Rolph
    Message 2 of 24 , May 29, 2013
      One way to repair the .gpx extension is:

      1) place the file at the top of the c drive: c:\

      2) make the file name simple ( perhaps simply damaged )

      3) using the start> run > cmd open a DOS window

      4) rename the file damaged.txt to damaged.gpx

      You should now be able to use the file as a true .gpx file.

      On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from kc8sfq@... included below]

      Hi Bob,
      Yes, I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file extension types without going all the way back to making a new GPX and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension. Though, once I get my head around this thing, I will be doing many of them from scratch.

      I just read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my step by step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this thread....EDCA stands for Every Darn Click Almost)

      Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ  Ron
      +++++++++++++++++++++

      But, it sounds like there may be something in your
      > GPX file that APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn asked you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm sure he can figure out what's going on.
      >
      > Bob...

    • Bob Harris
      Message 3 of 24 , May 29, 2013
        How about:
         1) Find the file (using Windows Explorer or whatever)
         2) Right click on the file name
         3) Click on "Rename" (near the bottom of the drop down menu)
         4) Change the name of the file so it has only the .gpx extension (eliminate the .txt extension).

        --

        BobHarris (K9UDX)
        Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD

      • Willie M
        Message 4 of 24 , May 29, 2013

          That won't work if windows is hiding filename extensions. You will only rename the first part and the txt extension will persist.

          Message 5 of 24 , May 29, 2013
            Performing a change of suffix operation in Windows Explorer can sometimes be problematic.

            You can always change the suffix at the dos layer.

            Message 6 of 24 , May 29, 2013
              I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything except the name. I could not edit the extension>
              73, Ron
              +++++++++++++++

              Message 7 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                If you want, send me the file and I'll change the name and then you can "drive" it.

                I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything except the name. I could not edit the extension>
                73, Ron
                +++++++++++++++
                > How about:
                > 1) Find the file (using Windows Explorer or whatever)
                > 2) Right click on the file name
                > 3) Click on "Rename" (near the bottom of the drop down menu)
                > 4) Change the name of the file so it has only the .gpx extension
                > (eliminate the .txt extension).
                >
                > On 5/29/2013 6:00 AM, Don Rolph wrote:
                >> One way to repair the .gpx extension is:
                >>
                >> 1) place the file at the top of the c drive: c:\
                >>
                >> 2) make the file name simple ( perhaps simply damaged )
                >>
                >> 3) using the start> run > cmd open a DOS window
                >>
                >> 4) rename the file damaged.txt to damaged.gpx
                >>
                >> You should now be able to use the file as a true .gpx file.
                >>

                >> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM, <kc8sfq@...
                >> <mailto:kc8sfq@...>> wrote:
                >>
                >> [Attachment(s) <#13eedfcdcf997458_TopText> from kc8sfq@...
                >> <mailto:kc8sfq@...> included below]
                >>

                >> Hi Bob,
                >> Yes, I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing
                >> matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file
                >> extension types without going all the way back to making a new GPX
                >> and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension. Though, once I get my
                >> head around this thing, I will be doing many of them from scratch.
                >>
                >> I just read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks
                >> like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed
                >> matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my step by
                >> step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this thread....EDCA
                >> stands for Every Darn Click Almost)
                >>
                >> Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ Ron
                >> +++++++++++++++++++++
                >>
                >> But, it sounds like there may be something in your
                >> > GPX file that APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn
                >> asked you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm
                >> sure he can figure out what's going on.
                >> >
                >> > Bob...
                >> >

                > --
                >
                > Bob Harris (K9UDX)
                > Can MOTCH Katmai Henry David Thoreau UDX Bda UD (1992-2005)
                > Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD
                > Bath, NH

              • Don Rolph
                Message 8 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                  Do it at the dos layer and you can change the extension.

                • kc8sfq
                  Message 9 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                    EDIT:
                    In thinking about it, this was before I turned the "hide known file type extensions" option off. The file ext now show, I'll try again this evening after work.

                    The route/GPX I'm using is just a quick thing for testing and is of little value otherwise. I'm just using it for testing until I get my head around the procedure. Then I'll go after stuff I care about.

                    73, Ron
                    ++++++++++++++++

                    > I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything
                    > except the name. I could not edit the extension>
                    > 73, Ron
                    > +++++++++++++++
                    >> How about:
                    >> 1) Find the file (using
                    > Windows Explorer or whatever)
                    >> 2) Right click on the file
                    > name
                    >> 3) Click on "Rename" (near the bottom of the
                    > drop down menu)
                    >> 4) Change the name of the file so it has only
                    > the .gpx extension
                    >> (eliminate the .txt extension).
                    >>
                    >> On 5/29/2013 6:00 AM, Don Rolph wrote:
                    >>> One way to
                    > repair the .gpx extension is:
                    >>>
                    >>> 1) place the
                    > file at the top of the c drive: c:\
                    >>>
                    >>> 2) make
                    > the file name simple ( perhaps simply damaged )
                    >>>
                    >>> 3) using the start> run > cmd open a DOS window
                    >>>
                    >>> 4) rename the file damaged.txt to damaged.gpx
                    >>>
                    >>> You should now be able to use the file as a true
                    > .gpx file.
                    >>>

                    >>> On Tue,
                    > May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM, <kc8sfq@...
                    >>>
                    > <mailto:kc8sfq@...>> wrote:
                    >>>

                    > [Attachment(s) <#13eedfcdcf997458_TopText> from kc8sfq@...
                    >>> <mailto:kc8sfq@...> included below]
                    >>>

                    >>> Hi Bob,
                    >>> Yes,
                    > I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing
                    >>>
                    > matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file
                    >>> extension types without going all the way back to making a
                    > new GPX
                    >>> and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension.
                    > Though, once I get my
                    >>> head around this thing, I will be
                    > doing many of them from scratch.
                    >>>
                    >>> I just
                    > read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks
                    >>>
                    > like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed
                    >>> matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my
                    > step by
                    >>> step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this
                    > thread....EDCA
                    >>> stands for Every Darn Click Almost)
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ Ron
                    >>>
                    > +++++++++++++++++++++
                    >>>
                    >>> But, it sounds like
                    > there may be something in your
                    > APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn
                    >>> asked
                    > you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm
                    >>>
                    > sure he can figure out what's going on.

                    />>>>

                    >> --
                    >>
                    >> Bob
                    > Harris (K9UDX)
                    >> Can MOTCH Katmai Henry David Thoreau UDX Bda UD
                    > (1992-2005)
                    >> Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD
                    >> Bath, NH

                  • kc8sfq
                    Message 10 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                      Hi Fred,
                      Thanks for the generous offer, but, in spite of my frustration, I really need to be able to do this for my self. My FIRST Robotics students get this lecture often: It may seem hard now, but once you get it, it'll be easy. Then it is yours for ever". Then I give them a clue or if I'm real lucky, I can ask just the exact question that leads them in the right direction. I'm 65YO. I don't bother to tell them about CRS disease, they'll find out about THAT all too soon <G>
                      73, Ron
                      +++++++++++++++++
                      > If you want, send me the file and I'll change the name and then you can
                      > "drive" it.
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      > Fred, N7FMH
                      >

                      > _____

                      > I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything
                      > except the name. I could not edit the extension>
                      > 73, Ron
                      > +++++++++++++++
                      >> How about:
                      >> 1) Find the file (using Windows Explorer or whatever)
                      >> 2) Right click on the file name
                      >> 3) Click on "Rename" (near the bottom of the drop down menu)
                      >> 4) Change the name of the file so it has only the .gpx extension
                      >> (eliminate the .txt extension).
                      >>
                      >> On 5/29/2013 6:00 AM, Don Rolph wrote:
                      >>> One way to repair the .gpx extension is:
                      >>>
                      >>> 1) place the file at the top of the c drive: c:\
                      >>>
                      >>> 2) make the file name simple ( perhaps simply damaged )
                      >>>
                      >>> 3) using the start> run > cmd open a DOS window
                      >>>
                      >>> 4) rename the file damaged.txt to damaged.gpx
                      >>>
                      >>> You should now be able to use the file as a true .gpx file.
                      >>>

                      >>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM, <kc8sfq@...
                      >>> <mailto:kc8sfq@...>> wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> [Attachment(s) <#13eedfcdcf997458_TopText> from kc8sfq@...
                      >>> <mailto:kc8sfq@...> included below]
                      >>>

                      >>> Hi Bob,
                      >>> Yes, I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing
                      >>> matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file
                      >>> extension types without going all the way back to making a new GPX
                      >>> and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension. Though, once I get my
                      >>> head around this thing, I will be doing many of them from scratch.
                      >>>
                      >>> I just read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks
                      >>> like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed
                      >>> matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my step by
                      >>> step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this thread....EDCA
                      >>> stands for Every Darn Click Almost)
                      >>>
                      >>> Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ Ron
                      >>> +++++++++++++++++++++
                      >>>
                      >>> But, it sounds like there may be something in your
                      >>> asked you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm
                      >>> sure he can figure out what's going on.

                      />>>

                      Message 11 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                        What FIRST team do you work with?  I was the Software Mentor and Drive Team coach for Team Voltage 386 (http://www.teamvoltage.org/) for 7 years (2003-2009).  If I were still volunteering there, APRSISCE/32 would not exist.

                        PS.  And yes, my facebook picture is from the year we won the Spirit award.

                        Lynn W.
Deffenbaugh

                        That's a true mohawk, short sides and all.  Immediately after arriving home from the Championships in Atlanta, I went to Mass, complete with the blue highlights.  You should have seen the priest's face when I went up to receive communion!

                        On 5/29/2013 1:21 PM, kc8sfq@... wrote:
                        My FIRST Robotics students get this lecture often: It may seem hard now, but once you get it, it'll be easy. Then it is yours for ever". Then I give them a clue or if I'm real lucky, I can ask just the exact question that leads them in the right direction.

                      • Reg
                        Message 12 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                          On 29 May 2013 16:55, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

                          > I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything
                          > except the name. I could not edit the extension>

                          Ron, I've never noticed that on any version of Windows from 1.0 to W7
                          64bit Pro. Maybe W8 has this as one of the obligatory feature
                          removals of new versions of Windows!

                          Unless you have file extensions hidden.

                          Reg
                        • kc8sfq
                          Message 13 of 24 , May 30, 2013

                            Hi Lynn,
                            You wrote:
                            > What FIRST team do you work with? I was the Software Mentor and Drive Team coach for Team Voltage 386 (http://www.teamvoltage.org/) for 7 years (2003-2009).

                            I'm with team 3658. The ROBO Beavers. We just had our team banquet last night. I work as a mentor for mechanical. I'm proud to say that this year, there are Heli-Arc welds on the machine that I did NOT have to touch up. Obviously Not every student weld passed inspection by our QA team, but there were some. That is a huge milestone. Another one is that this year, it was 4 weeks into the build season before the students had a part for me to make. Up until then, they were doing it all on their own. This is only our 3rd year. As we get better and better at this, they will need me less and less. That's right where we need to be. We aren't there yet, but I can see it from here. It's kind of like when your son gets his first driver's license or gets married. Sort of bitter sweet. I truly delight in watching as the students blossom and grow.

                            > If I were still volunteering there, APRSISCE/32 would not exist.

                            Your work with FIRST Robotics is undoubtedly missed, but we're glad you're here

                            > That's a true mohawk, short sides and all. Immediately after arriving home from the Championships in Atlanta, I went to Mass, complete with the blue highlights. You should have seen the priest's face when I went up to receive communion!

                            Our first year, we painted our hair (in my case ,HEAD) blue, our team color. One of our exchange students was from China. Another student was going to take a picture of him, sleeping in the car en route home. She was stopped by yet another of our students. This was because he was aware of the strict taboo of guarding family honor.

                            Just so this is not completely off topic: Our Robotics coach also teaches physics and earth sciences. He is interested in building a "telemetry float" and tossing it in the local lake to record water temp, current and such. Guess who got tagged to give a class on APRS???

                            73, Ron KC8SFQ
                          • Chris Struttmann
                            Message 14 of 24 , May 30, 2013
                              If I were still volunteering there, APRSISCE/32 would not exist.

                              Wasn't the very first release of APRSISCE/32 lifted from DashVolt code?!?!?  :-)

                              In full disclosure, I was a student of Lynn's on Team Voltage 386 from 2004 to 2008, and I am still a mentor.

                              DashVolt was our custom robot dashboard which bore an uncanny resemblance to some of the early APRSISCE releases :-) (this was before public releases of ARPSISCE/32).

                              Sorry for encouraging the OT but I had to.

                              Chris Struttmann
                              KJ4HPQ

                              On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:
[...]

                              --C.E. Struttmann