Drive a GPX

  • kc8sfq
    Message 1 of 24 , May 28 9:05 AM
      Final plea.

      OK guys, I've read the wiki (about 50 times) and the Gmap to GPX (sic) website. I can make a set of map directions on GMAPS and run Gmap to GPX, I get a file that looks a lot like the XML. It has a lot of stuff in <<>>.

      I then copy and paste it to "notepad" and save that to the thumb drive, in the same folder where APRSIS32 will be running in a minute. (I have opened this file and there IS the same data as I saw at first with gmap to GPX)

      When I open and run APRSIS32, I go to CONFIGURE-> OVERLAYS-> Add GPX file. APRSIS32 seems to be looking at a map tile folder. I then navigate to the folder where I left the GPX file but APRSIS32 doesn't see it.

      If I shut APRSIS32 down and navigate to that folder again, sure enough, there is such a folder and it has data in it.

      Should I be transferring the GPX to a specific folder? With a specific name?

      Do I need to pre-make a folder in some specific directory like I do with alternate tile sets? Do I have to edit the XML to tell it where to look?

      I was prepping for a road trip last weekend (APRS around Dayton that weekend was a ball to watch). I did my best to infect a couple of friends with the APRS bug along the way. To that end, I was prefetching maps for the trip. I made the map-prep thing work by using Pan->Zoom->Prefetch. The problem is that I missed a bunch of tiles I wished I'd had. I know there is a better way. It's like having to dig a hole with a shovel because you don't know how to run the Bobcat that is sitting there. (BTW, Bobcats are a blast to run)

      I've been working on this in my limited spare time over the past three weekends and am just about burnt out. Like I said above, I have APRSIS32 working and it is doing more than I had ever hoped for. I love the client, but it feels as if I'm driving it like a truck when I know there's a sports car in there somewhere.

      I have asked for help with this before and was told to read the wiki. Did that (several times), even to the point of having it open on one computer while trying to do a driveGPX on another machine. There seems to be some detail missing there, at least to my non-computer mind. Probably something so trivial that it doesn't occur to anyone to mention it. I, however, am unable to fill in the missing piece.

      I Really like this program and run it almost daily while on the road. I would like to help this community that has given me so much and makes this cool program even cooler. The only thing I have to offer is my ignorance and lack of computer savvy. The only place I have anything to offer is at the user interface level. My being the ignorant guinea pig offered freely in the hope of helping someone who is coming along behind me. Once in a while, though, someone needs to toss me a bread crumb, PLEASE. What am I missing?

      Thanks in advance, Ron, KC8SFQ

      Message 2 of 24 , May 28 9:10 AM
        The folder doesn't matter.

        Did you save your file with a GPX extension? When you use Notepad, the default extension is TXT.

        Message 3 of 24 , May 28 9:40 AM
          Hi Fred,
          The wiki said that TXT "should work" I'll try changing it to GPX. Should the file also be titled something other than "GPX trial.txt" (current name)? I named it that so I could find it later.

          Lunch is over, so for now, I have a customer who thinks the project he's paying for is more important. (go figure). Paying customers........They just don't understand <G>

          Thanks, Ron, KC8SFQ
          ++++++++++++++++

          > The folder doesn't matter.
          >
          > Did you save your file with a GPX extension? When you use Notepad, the
          > default extension is TXT.
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Fred, N7FMH

          />>

          Message 4 of 24 , May 28 9:54 AM
            Unless you change Notepad's "Save as type" to "All Files" in the Save As dialog.

            If you could e-mail your file to KJ4ERJ@..., I'll make sure it actually loads, at least.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 28 10:18 AM
              Why don't you just copy it to the thumb drive?

              I suspect that notepad is breaking the gpx file typing on you.

              I copy gpx files to various location and import to APRSISCE just fine.

              You might look at the file properties and see what it shows.  I am betting it shows as a .txt file.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 28 10:21 AM
                Having written the Add GPX Overlay section myself, I just had to look.

                The next step is to create a GPX file. A quick select all data (left-click in the data field and press CTRL-A). Copy the data (CTRL-C) and paste the data into NotePad (CTRL-V). Save the file with the file extension GPX (e.g, Here2There.gpx).

                I don't know the APRSIS32 response if the file has a TXT extension.

                Message 7 of 24 , May 28 10:27 AM
                  If you copy it from GMAPtoGPX, where do you paste it to? Any text editor will work. I happen to think the most convenient tool is Notepad and paste it there. Notepad doesn't break it. I use it all the time. It does take special effort to save as a GPX. Once it is a GPX, then there are many things to do with it, one is open with APRSIS32.

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 28 12:09 PM
                    It is an easy mistake in Windows if it is hiding filename extensions to attempt a save-as operation and manually enter the expected name such as "myfile.gpx" but then your actual file is saved as "myfile.gpx.txt" from Notepad. It's not obvious because when you view it in the explorer you don't see the ".txt" final extension which is.

                    This is caused by the "hide filenames extensions" behavior in Windows... the "Hide extensions for known file types" checkbox ... So if you are still using the default File View settings, which most people are since it's not obvious how or why to change it.

                    Easiest way to tell whether this is "on" or not is to look at existing files - for example on image files, do you see the file extension such as ".jpg" and do Acrobat PDF documents show ".pdf" on the filenames?

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 28 4:55 PM
                      At 12:05 PM 5/28/2013, kc8sfq@... wrote:

                      >I can make a set of map directions on GMAPS and run Gmap to GPX, I
                      >get a file that looks a lot like the XML. It has a lot of stuff in <<>>.

                      That's because it _is_ XML. The GPX file format is a specialized
                      version of XML designed for moving data in and out of GPS receivers.

                      I use the CONFIGURE-> OVERLAYS-> Add GPX file feature quite often and
                      it works great. But, it sounds like there may be something in your
                      GPX file that APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn asked
                      you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm sure he can
                      figure out what's going on.

                      Bob...
                    • kc8sfq
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 28 6:52 PM
                      • 1 Attachment
                      • 663 Bytes

                      Hi Bob,
                      Yes, I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file extension types without going all the way back to making a new GPX and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension. Though, once I get my head around this thing, I will be doing many of them from scratch.

                      I just read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my step by step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this thread....EDCA stands for Every Darn Click Almost)

                      Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ  Ron
                      +++++++++++++++++++++

                      But, it sounds like there may be something in your
                      > GPX file that APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn asked you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm sure he can figure out what's going on.
                      >
                      > Bob...

                    • Don Rolph
                      Message 11 of 24 , May 29 3:00 AM
                        One way to repair the .gpx extension is:

                        1) place the file at the top of the c drive: c:\

                        2) make the file name simple ( perhaps simply damaged )

                        3) using the start> run > cmd open a DOS window

                        4) rename the file damaged.txt to damaged.gpx

                        You should now be able to use the file as a true .gpx file.

                        On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

                        [Attachment(s) from kc8sfq@... included below]

                        Hi Bob,
                        Yes, I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file extension types without going all the way back to making a new GPX and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension. Though, once I get my head around this thing, I will be doing many of them from scratch.

                        I just read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my step by step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this thread....EDCA stands for Every Darn Click Almost)

                        Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ  Ron
                        +++++++++++++++++++++

                        But, it sounds like there may be something in your
                        > GPX file that APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn asked you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm sure he can figure out what's going on.
                        >
                        > Bob...

                      • Bob Harris
                        Message 12 of 24 , May 29 4:55 AM
                          How about:
                           1) Find the file (using Windows Explorer or whatever)
                           2) Right click on the file name
                           3) Click on "Rename" (near the bottom of the drop down menu)
                           4) Change the name of the file so it has only the .gpx extension (eliminate the .txt extension).

                          --

                          BobHarris (K9UDX)
                          Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD

                        • Willie M
                          Message 13 of 24 , May 29 4:59 AM

                            That won't work if windows is hiding filename extensions. You will only rename the first part and the txt extension will persist.

                            Message 14 of 24 , May 29 4:59 AM
                              Performing a change of suffix operation in Windows Explorer can sometimes be problematic.

                              You can always change the suffix at the dos layer.

                              Message 15 of 24 , May 29 9:55 AM
                                I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything except the name. I could not edit the extension>
                                73, Ron
                                +++++++++++++++

                                Message 16 of 24 , May 29 10:03 AM
                                  If you want, send me the file and I'll change the name and then you can "drive" it.

                                  I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything except the name. I could not edit the extension>
                                  73, Ron
                                  +++++++++++++++
                                  > How about:
                                  > 1) Find the file (using Windows Explorer or whatever)
                                  > 2) Right click on the file name
                                  > 3) Click on "Rename" (near the bottom of the drop down menu)
                                  > 4) Change the name of the file so it has only the .gpx extension
                                  > (eliminate the .txt extension).
                                  >
                                  > On 5/29/2013 6:00 AM, Don Rolph wrote:
                                  >> One way to repair the .gpx extension is:
                                  >>
                                  >> 1) place the file at the top of the c drive: c:\
                                  >>
                                  >> 2) make the file name simple ( perhaps simply damaged )
                                  >>
                                  >> 3) using the start> run > cmd open a DOS window
                                  >>
                                  >> 4) rename the file damaged.txt to damaged.gpx
                                  >>
                                  >> You should now be able to use the file as a true .gpx file.
                                  >>

                                  >> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM, <kc8sfq@...
                                  >> <mailto:kc8sfq@...>> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> [Attachment(s) <#13eedfcdcf997458_TopText> from kc8sfq@...
                                  >> <mailto:kc8sfq@...> included below]
                                  >>

                                  >> Hi Bob,
                                  >> Yes, I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing
                                  >> matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file
                                  >> extension types without going all the way back to making a new GPX
                                  >> and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension. Though, once I get my
                                  >> head around this thing, I will be doing many of them from scratch.
                                  >>
                                  >> I just read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks
                                  >> like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed
                                  >> matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my step by
                                  >> step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this thread....EDCA
                                  >> stands for Every Darn Click Almost)
                                  >>
                                  >> Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ Ron
                                  >> +++++++++++++++++++++
                                  >>
                                  >> But, it sounds like there may be something in your
                                  >> > GPX file that APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn
                                  >> asked you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm
                                  >> sure he can figure out what's going on.
                                  >> >
                                  >> > Bob...
                                  >> >

                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > Bob Harris (K9UDX)
                                  > Can MOTCH Katmai Henry David Thoreau UDX Bda UD (1992-2005)
                                  > Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD
                                  > Bath, NH

                                • Don Rolph
                                  Message 17 of 24 , May 29 10:04 AM
                                    Do it at the dos layer and you can change the extension.

                                  • kc8sfq
                                    Message 18 of 24 , May 29 10:06 AM
                                      EDIT:
                                      In thinking about it, this was before I turned the "hide known file type extensions" option off. The file ext now show, I'll try again this evening after work.

                                      The route/GPX I'm using is just a quick thing for testing and is of little value otherwise. I'm just using it for testing until I get my head around the procedure. Then I'll go after stuff I care about.

                                      73, Ron
                                      ++++++++++++++++

                                      > I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything
                                      > except the name. I could not edit the extension>
                                      > 73, Ron
                                      > +++++++++++++++
                                      >> How about:
                                      >> 1) Find the file (using
                                      > Windows Explorer or whatever)
                                      >> 2) Right click on the file
                                      > name
                                      >> 3) Click on "Rename" (near the bottom of the
                                      > drop down menu)
                                      >> 4) Change the name of the file so it has only
                                      > the .gpx extension
                                      >> (eliminate the .txt extension).
                                      >>
                                      >> On 5/29/2013 6:00 AM, Don Rolph wrote:
                                      >>> One way to
                                      > repair the .gpx extension is:
                                      >>>
                                      >>> 1) place the
                                      > file at the top of the c drive: c:\
                                      >>>
                                      >>> 2) make
                                      > the file name simple ( perhaps simply damaged )
                                      >>>
                                      >>> 3) using the start> run > cmd open a DOS window
                                      >>>
                                      >>> 4) rename the file damaged.txt to damaged.gpx
                                      >>>
                                      >>> You should now be able to use the file as a true
                                      > .gpx file.
                                      >>>

                                      >>> On Tue,
                                      > May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM, <kc8sfq@...
                                      >>>
                                      > <mailto:kc8sfq@...>> wrote:
                                      >>>

                                      > [Attachment(s) <#13eedfcdcf997458_TopText> from kc8sfq@...
                                      >>> <mailto:kc8sfq@...> included below]
                                      >>>

                                      >>> Hi Bob,
                                      >>> Yes,
                                      > I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing
                                      >>>
                                      > matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file
                                      >>> extension types without going all the way back to making a
                                      > new GPX
                                      >>> and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension.
                                      > Though, once I get my
                                      >>> head around this thing, I will be
                                      > doing many of them from scratch.
                                      >>>
                                      >>> I just
                                      > read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks
                                      >>>
                                      > like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed
                                      >>> matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my
                                      > step by
                                      >>> step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this
                                      > thread....EDCA
                                      >>> stands for Every Darn Click Almost)
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ Ron
                                      >>>
                                      > +++++++++++++++++++++
                                      >>>
                                      >>> But, it sounds like
                                      > there may be something in your
                                      > APRSISCE/32 isn't understanding. I see that Lynn
                                      >>> asked
                                      > you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm
                                      >>>
                                      > sure he can figure out what's going on.

                                      />>>>

                                      >> --
                                      >>
                                      >> Bob
                                      > Harris (K9UDX)
                                      >> Can MOTCH Katmai Henry David Thoreau UDX Bda UD
                                      > (1992-2005)
                                      >> Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD
                                      >> Bath, NH

                                    • kc8sfq
                                      Message 19 of 24 , May 29 10:21 AM
                                        Hi Fred,
                                        Thanks for the generous offer, but, in spite of my frustration, I really need to be able to do this for my self. My FIRST Robotics students get this lecture often: It may seem hard now, but once you get it, it'll be easy. Then it is yours for ever". Then I give them a clue or if I'm real lucky, I can ask just the exact question that leads them in the right direction. I'm 65YO. I don't bother to tell them about CRS disease, they'll find out about THAT all too soon <G>
                                        73, Ron
                                        +++++++++++++++++
                                        > If you want, send me the file and I'll change the name and then you can
                                        > "drive" it.
                                        >
                                        > Best regards,
                                        > Fred, N7FMH
                                        >

                                        > _____

                                        > I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything
                                        > except the name. I could not edit the extension>
                                        > 73, Ron
                                        > +++++++++++++++
                                        >> How about:
                                        >> 1) Find the file (using Windows Explorer or whatever)
                                        >> 2) Right click on the file name
                                        >> 3) Click on "Rename" (near the bottom of the drop down menu)
                                        >> 4) Change the name of the file so it has only the .gpx extension
                                        >> (eliminate the .txt extension).
                                        >>
                                        >> On 5/29/2013 6:00 AM, Don Rolph wrote:
                                        >>> One way to repair the .gpx extension is:
                                        >>>
                                        >>> 1) place the file at the top of the c drive: c:\
                                        >>>
                                        >>> 2) make the file name simple ( perhaps simply damaged )
                                        >>>
                                        >>> 3) using the start> run > cmd open a DOS window
                                        >>>
                                        >>> 4) rename the file damaged.txt to damaged.gpx
                                        >>>
                                        >>> You should now be able to use the file as a true .gpx file.
                                        >>>

                                        >>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM, <kc8sfq@...
                                        >>> <mailto:kc8sfq@...>> wrote:
                                        >>>
                                        >>> [Attachment(s) <#13eedfcdcf997458_TopText> from kc8sfq@...
                                        >>> <mailto:kc8sfq@...> included below]
                                        >>>

                                        >>> Hi Bob,
                                        >>> Yes, I am beginning to suspect that the .gpx file extension thing
                                        >>> matters. I am still trying to work out how to change file
                                        >>> extension types without going all the way back to making a new GPX
                                        >>> and saving-as to get it as a .GPX extension. Though, once I get my
                                        >>> head around this thing, I will be doing many of them from scratch.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> I just read a note from Lynn after he looked at my GPX. It looks
                                        >>> like I'm on the right track. He says the GPX extension does indeed
                                        >>> matter. I'll be sure to make that point when I write up my step by
                                        >>> step EDCA thing. (for someone not following this thread....EDCA
                                        >>> stands for Every Darn Click Almost)
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ Ron
                                        >>> +++++++++++++++++++++
                                        >>>
                                        >>> But, it sounds like there may be something in your
                                        >>> asked you to email the file to him. Once he sees the file, I'm
                                        >>> sure he can figure out what's going on.

                                        />>>

                                        Message 20 of 24 , May 29 10:58 AM
                                          What FIRST team do you work with?  I was the Software Mentor and Drive Team coach for Team Voltage 386 (http://www.teamvoltage.org/) for 7 years (2003-2009).  If I were still volunteering there, APRSISCE/32 would not exist.

                                          PS.  And yes, my facebook picture is from the year we won the Spirit award.

                                          Lynn W.
Deffenbaugh

                                          That's a true mohawk, short sides and all.  Immediately after arriving home from the Championships in Atlanta, I went to Mass, complete with the blue highlights.  You should have seen the priest's face when I went up to receive communion!

                                          On 5/29/2013 1:21 PM, kc8sfq@... wrote:
                                          My FIRST Robotics students get this lecture often: It may seem hard now, but once you get it, it'll be easy. Then it is yours for ever". Then I give them a clue or if I'm real lucky, I can ask just the exact question that leads them in the right direction.

                                        • Reg
                                          Message 21 of 24 , May 29 1:41 PM
                                            On 29 May 2013 16:55, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

                                            > I tried that, but windows (I expect) wouldn't allow me to change anything
                                            > except the name. I could not edit the extension>

                                            Ron, I've never noticed that on any version of Windows from 1.0 to W7
                                            64bit Pro. Maybe W8 has this as one of the obligatory feature
                                            removals of new versions of Windows!

                                            Unless you have file extensions hidden.

                                            Reg
                                          • kc8sfq
                                            Message 22 of 24 , May 30 8:46 AM

                                              Hi Lynn,
                                              You wrote:
                                              > What FIRST team do you work with? I was the Software Mentor and Drive Team coach for Team Voltage 386 (http://www.teamvoltage.org/) for 7 years (2003-2009).

                                              I'm with team 3658. The ROBO Beavers. We just had our team banquet last night. I work as a mentor for mechanical. I'm proud to say that this year, there are Heli-Arc welds on the machine that I did NOT have to touch up. Obviously Not every student weld passed inspection by our QA team, but there were some. That is a huge milestone. Another one is that this year, it was 4 weeks into the build season before the students had a part for me to make. Up until then, they were doing it all on their own. This is only our 3rd year. As we get better and better at this, they will need me less and less. That's right where we need to be. We aren't there yet, but I can see it from here. It's kind of like when your son gets his first driver's license or gets married. Sort of bitter sweet. I truly delight in watching as the students blossom and grow.

                                              > If I were still volunteering there, APRSISCE/32 would not exist.

                                              Your work with FIRST Robotics is undoubtedly missed, but we're glad you're here

                                              > That's a true mohawk, short sides and all. Immediately after arriving home from the Championships in Atlanta, I went to Mass, complete with the blue highlights. You should have seen the priest's face when I went up to receive communion!

                                              Our first year, we painted our hair (in my case ,HEAD) blue, our team color. One of our exchange students was from China. Another student was going to take a picture of him, sleeping in the car en route home. She was stopped by yet another of our students. This was because he was aware of the strict taboo of guarding family honor.

                                              Just so this is not completely off topic: Our Robotics coach also teaches physics and earth sciences. He is interested in building a "telemetry float" and tossing it in the local lake to record water temp, current and such. Guess who got tagged to give a class on APRS???

                                              73, Ron KC8SFQ
                                            • Chris Struttmann
                                              Message 23 of 24 , May 30 8:55 AM
                                                If I were still volunteering there, APRSISCE/32 would not exist.

                                                Wasn't the very first release of APRSISCE/32 lifted from DashVolt code?!?!?  :-)

                                                In full disclosure, I was a student of Lynn's on Team Voltage 386 from 2004 to 2008, and I am still a mentor.

                                                DashVolt was our custom robot dashboard which bore an uncanny resemblance to some of the early APRSISCE releases :-) (this was before public releases of ARPSISCE/32).

                                                Sorry for encouraging the OT but I had to.

                                                Chris Struttmann
                                                KJ4HPQ

                                                On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:
[...]

                                                --C.E. Struttmann