Re: [aprsisce] EMCOMM communications setup suggestion?

  • Greg D
    Message 1 of 15 , May 27, 2013
      Hi Ron,

      Oh, yeah.  I had forgotten about this.

      I think this might have a place in what they are thinking, but I'd like to start with something a whole lot less complicated.  A single home AP box with 802.11n connectivity can cover a pretty wide area too start with.  Let me see if that will do it for them.  If not, this could expand the coverage.

      Thanks,

      Greg  KO6TH

      Ron Wenig wrote:

      Hi Greg,

      Have you looked into the HSMM-MESH project.  It uses linksys routers, 2.4 GHz, to create a mesh network using firmware that was created for this purpose.  You set up as many mesh units as you can to expand coverage.  You can install an internet chat server program in one of the routers and use chat clients to talk to each other along with file transfer and video and voice over ip programs.  There are a lot of emcomm groups using this.  More information here:

      http://www.hsmm-mesh.org/

      73, Ron ny3j

      On 5/27/2013 12:57 AM, Greg D wrote:

      Hi folks,

      I turned on the radio to our local repeater this evening, just in time
      to hear the end of a Net discussion about setting up computers for
      direct communication. One person said you can do this now (implying
      newly) with Windows 8 over Wi-Fi. Since I know something about Wi-Fi
      communication (it's an occupational liability), I chimed in...

    • Ron Wenig
      Message 2 of 15 , May 27, 2013
        Greg,

        That's a good point.  Our ARES group is looking at a variety of ways of moving digital traffic and APRS messaging is one of them.  I'm going to be interested in what your group comes up with.

        Ron ny3j

[...]

      • Rob Giuliano
        Message 3 of 15 , May 27, 2013
          APRSIS32 may be able to run on the AP itself, if the AP is something like a Linux box (with WINE) setup as an access point / router / etc. (rather than using a Linksys, DLink, or other more limited router), but that may be more effort than you are looking at.  The comment was more about the APRSIS server box needing to be centeral as it will be getting a lot of traffic in both directions, so the more computers "seeing" it directly, the better.

          MASTER -> APRSIS with IS-server or Local Server (I haven't used this one yet).
              All other computers on the network would set their IS-Server "IP or DNS" set to the MASTER

          With this connection, and all the RF->IS / IS->RF  set, the computers should be able to communicate through anything on the APRSIS32 "Message" menu item:
             Send Message, Chat, Announcements, Bulletins, etc (e-mail will need internet).

          I have done this wired in my house ) well actually, wired/wireless while my internet connection was down.  I could still send messages that came up on the other computers.

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Message 4 of 15 , May 27, 2013
            On 5/27/2013 7:27 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
               Send Message, Chat, Announcements, Bulletins, etc (e-mail will need internet).

            Announcements needs the centralized, APRS-IS-resident ANSRVR, so you'd either need direct APRS-IS, or an operational IGate somewhere within RF range.

          • Greg D
            Message 5 of 15 , May 27, 2013
              Hi Lynn,

              Ok, that makes sense for ANSRVR or CQ functions.  But isn't there some sort of broadcast message capability within APRS natively?  I thought ANSRVR and CQ were there to provide subscription-based filtering of the traffic.

              Even if not, if I have one PC with APRSIS/32 running as a server, and several other PCs connecting to it, all of them can message by call sign directly with each other, and to any clients connected by TNC / RF to any of the PCs.  And all of them will have a shared map of the situation, with anyone being able to create an object that all will see.  Right?

              Can the messages be to tactical call signs in addition to real ones?

              Are there any limits as to how many clients can attach to a single APRSIS/32 server instance?

              Thanks,

              Greg  KO6TH

            Message 6 of 15 , May 27, 2013
              Hi Rob,

              Ok, right.  I was thinking that might be what you had in mind, but it's far beyond what this team would want to deal with.  It might be interesting to port a headless APRS server to OpenWRT to serve this function...

              So, I think we're good...  (assuming Lynn agrees...)

              Thanks,

              Greg  KO6TH

              Message 7 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                there are several, but they may not have the capability of APRSIS32.
                I've used APRSd on OpenWRT and I know there are others. A search on APRS on WRT should give several hits.

                I'd still go with APRSIS32 (and have)
                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

[...]

              • Matthew Willis

                  Message 9 of 15 , May 28, 2013
                    Sorry - I meant aprx!
                       That was what I intsalled on my WRT54g.  It is offline now, but has the ability to connect TNC(s) through the 2 serial port headers (although I have only used 1).

                    Thanks Matthew!

                    Robert Giuliano
                    KB8RCO