Re: [aprsisce] EMCOMM communications setup suggestion?

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 15 , May 27, 2013
      Since you asked on the APRSISce list, I'll use that as the model.
      I KNOW what you are looking for is ALL in the structure of APRS (and fully capable within APRSISce/32).  Bulletins, chats, groups, !SHRIEKS!, etc. are all tools to send to one or more APRS instances in carious ways.

      As fro the network part, it is just allowing them to communicate (WI-FI, TNC-RF, WIRED, whatever is available).  As long as each computer can see the another and has a mechanism for relaying on (DIGI on RF), the connection is there for communication.

      Your direct comments/questions
      1. I haven't used a wireless router in Ad-Hoc, but always use Access-Point.
          So I can't exactly help here.

      2. This is definitely possible.
          They (clients computers) may need the server, but they can definitely talk to each other with APRSIS32 clients as a group or individually.
           (they won't, or at least won't as much, if the network goes RF).
          APRSIS Server "AT" or "ON" the ACCESS point would ensure all computers can reach it, since they need to reach the Access-Point to get an IP.

      3.  AP with DHCP server provides the capability of keeping the "network" togethe.
           The question is "will the Access-Point provide the routing capability without the internet?"
           With APRSIS32 as the ISserver, it would be the gateway for the other clients.

      4. Yes, all connected are part of the infrustructure - of course filtering could limited that if needed.

      I'm sure Lynn (and many others) could be more specific.  They seem to have more experience in this area - from previous posts.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      Message 2 of 15 , May 27, 2013
        Hi Don,

        I missed most of the Net, but that's the essence of what I understand they are looking to do.  They were only talking about messaging between the PCs, but I can guess all of what that can expand to (your point #1) could apply.

        My own spin would be that the communications should seamlessly expand with whatever connectivity is available.  So if there are RF clients, they should be able to participate.  Same with IS (Internet).  If we do this right, they shouldn't have to be aware of, or re-configure for, a change in connectivity.  That's partly why I'm leaning away from using ad-hoc Wi-Fi for the network.  It requires a change to enable it, and would have to be undone to bring in IS when it becomes available.

        Your point #4 is a really good one - hadn't considered that.  If we use aprsis/32 software, the logging is built in, but it would need to be enabled.  Thanks for the reminder!

        Greg.

        Don Rolph wrote:

        In reading this I am confused.

        It seems you are trying to setup a chat system for perhaps an EOC.  Is that your goal?

        Some questions:

        1) do you want the traffic to be: point to point or broadcast?
        - incident intelligence?
        - tactical communications?
        - logistical communications?
        - command communications?

        2) how should the system behave when the internet returns?

        3) what is the role of RF stations in this model?

        4) Do you need permanent records?

        73,
        AB1PH
        Don Rolph

        Message 3 of 15 , May 27, 2013
          Hi Rob,

          Some additional thoughts, below.  Thanks for your help,

          Greg  KO6TH

          Rob Giuliano wrote:

          2. This is definitely possible.
              They (clients computers) may need the server, but they can definitely talk to each other with APRSIS32 clients as a group or individually.
               (they won't, or at least won't as much, if the network goes RF).
              APRSIS Server "AT" or "ON" the ACCESS point would ensure all computers can reach it, since they need to reach the Access-Point to get an IP.

          3.  AP with DHCP server provides the capability of keeping the "network" togethe.
               The question is "will the Access-Point provide the routing capability without the internet?"
               With APRSIS32 as the ISserver, it would be the gateway for the other clients.

          4. Yes, all connected are part of the infrustructure - of course filtering could limited that if needed.

          So, APRSIS/32 can't run on the AP itself, at least not the kind of AP that's typically available.  What I am imagining is that one of the PCs would be designated as the master, and would run APRSIS/32 with its server port open.  All the other PCs would connect to that PC's APRSIS32 instance.  The question is whether all of the so-connected PCs would be able to talk to each other as well as the master, any RF-connected clients via that master PC or other PCs, and the Internet IS through the access point router when it comes up.  I think you said "yes" to all of the above.  Right?  (Note that to do this, the Master's copy of APRSIS/32 would need to replicate the APRS traffic to all of the connected instances below it, not just forward the message to the Internet port (which wouldn't go anywhere if the Internet is down).

          I'm sure Lynn (and many others) could be more specific.  They seem to have more experience in this area - from previous posts.

          Lynn?

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Message 4 of 15 , May 27, 2013
            Hi Ron,

            Oh, yeah.  I had forgotten about this.

            I think this might have a place in what they are thinking, but I'd like to start with something a whole lot less complicated.  A single home AP box with 802.11n connectivity can cover a pretty wide area too start with.  Let me see if that will do it for them.  If not, this could expand the coverage.

            Thanks,

            Greg  KO6TH

            Ron Wenig wrote:

            Hi Greg,

            Have you looked into the HSMM-MESH project.  It uses linksys routers, 2.4 GHz, to create a mesh network using firmware that was created for this purpose.  You set up as many mesh units as you can to expand coverage.  You can install an internet chat server program in one of the routers and use chat clients to talk to each other along with file transfer and video and voice over ip programs.  There are a lot of emcomm groups using this.  More information here:

            http://www.hsmm-mesh.org/

            73, Ron ny3j

            On 5/27/2013 12:57 AM, Greg D wrote:

            Hi folks,

            I turned on the radio to our local repeater this evening, just in time
            to hear the end of a Net discussion about setting up computers for
            direct communication. One person said you can do this now (implying
            newly) with Windows 8 over Wi-Fi. Since I know something about Wi-Fi
            communication (it's an occupational liability), I chimed in...

          • Ron Wenig

              Message 6 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                APRSIS32 may be able to run on the AP itself, if the AP is something like a Linux box (with WINE) setup as an access point / router / etc. (rather than using a Linksys, DLink, or other more limited router), but that may be more effort than you are looking at.  The comment was more about the APRSIS server box needing to be centeral as it will be getting a lot of traffic in both directions, so the more computers "seeing" it directly, the better.

                MASTER -> APRSIS with IS-server or Local Server (I haven't used this one yet).
                    All other computers on the network would set their IS-Server "IP or DNS" set to the MASTER

                With this connection, and all the RF->IS / IS->RF  set, the computers should be able to communicate through anything on the APRSIS32 "Message" menu item:
                   Send Message, Chat, Announcements, Bulletins, etc (e-mail will need internet).

                I have done this wired in my house ) well actually, wired/wireless while my internet connection was down.  I could still send messages that came up on the other computers.

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                  On 5/27/2013 7:27 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
                     Send Message, Chat, Announcements, Bulletins, etc (e-mail will need internet).

                  Announcements needs the centralized, APRS-IS-resident ANSRVR, so you'd either need direct APRS-IS, or an operational IGate somewhere within RF range.

                • Greg D
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                    Hi Lynn,

                    Ok, that makes sense for ANSRVR or CQ functions.  But isn't there some sort of broadcast message capability within APRS natively?  I thought ANSRVR and CQ were there to provide subscription-based filtering of the traffic.

                    Even if not, if I have one PC with APRSIS/32 running as a server, and several other PCs connecting to it, all of them can message by call sign directly with each other, and to any clients connected by TNC / RF to any of the PCs.  And all of them will have a shared map of the situation, with anyone being able to create an object that all will see.  Right?

                    Can the messages be to tactical call signs in addition to real ones?

                    Are there any limits as to how many clients can attach to a single APRSIS/32 server instance?

                    Thanks,

                    Greg  KO6TH

                  Message 9 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                    Hi Rob,

                    Ok, right.  I was thinking that might be what you had in mind, but it's far beyond what this team would want to deal with.  It might be interesting to port a headless APRS server to OpenWRT to serve this function...

                    So, I think we're good...  (assuming Lynn agrees...)

                    Thanks,

                    Greg  KO6TH

                    Message 10 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                      there are several, but they may not have the capability of APRSIS32.
                      I've used APRSd on OpenWRT and I know there are others. A search on APRS on WRT should give several hits.

                      I'd still go with APRSIS32 (and have)
                      Robert Giuliano
                      KB8RCO

[...]

                    • Matthew Willis

                        Message 12 of 15 , May 28, 2013
                          Sorry - I meant aprx!
                             That was what I intsalled on my WRT54g.  It is offline now, but has the ability to connect TNC(s) through the 2 serial port headers (although I have only used 1).

                          Thanks Matthew!

                          Robert Giuliano
                          KB8RCO