Re: [aprsisce] APRS Tracker 2m HT

  • Don Rolph
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2013
      When I looked at the ht use case, it seemed that true handheld mobile behavior was important and that leads to integrated APRS handhelds such as the D72A.

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 24, 2013, at 10:00 PM, Russell Blair <russell_blair86@...> wrote:

      Let do this agian.... I know that the 2m HT will have to be on 144.39  what I was asking does anyone have a tracker on a 2M HT.and what kind of tracker is it.have you been able toget it to work on GPS, APRS tracker.

      Russell NC5O

      " IN GOD WE TRUST "
      " Skype-Russell.Blair "
      "God's law is set in stone..everything else is negotiable."

    • Ted Wrobel
      Message 2 of 6 , May 25, 2013
        Hi Russell,

        I have a pretty common setup.

        Opentracker usb, Garmin 18X GPS, Yaesu VX170 HT

        Cables are from Byonics - the Opentracker is compatible with the Tiny Tracker cables.

        Works fine.

        73
        Ted
        W1GRI

        Let do this agian.... I know that the 2m HT will have to be on 144.39  what I was asking does anyone have a tracker on a 2M HT.and what kind of tracker is it.have you been able toget it to work on GPS, APRS tracker.

        Russell NC5O

        " IN GOD WE TRUST "
        " Skype-Russell.Blair "
        "God's law is set in stone..everything else is negotiable."

        No virus found in this message.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 25, 2013
          On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Russell Blair
          <russell_blair86@...> wrote:

          > Let do this agian.... I know that the 2m HT will have to be on 144.39
          > what I was asking does anyone have a tracker on a 2M HT.

          Yes, I have done this with a number of HTs... thousands of other have
          done the same.

          > and what kind of tracker is it.

          TinyTrak, TinyTrak 3, TinyTrak4, PocketTracker, OpenTracker USB,
          OpenTracker 2, OpenTracker 3

          have you been able toget it to work on GPS,

          On a GPS, nope... with a GPS yes. An HT and one of the above devices
          without a GPS is kind of useless. None of the above have displays, so
          any received information would go no where. All you would be sending
          would be a static position report.

          > APRS tracker.

          Not sure what you would mean by this statement. You wouldn't get the
          device to work on an APRS tracker... an HT, an APRS encoder/decoder
          (as listed above), and a GPS unit integrated into a working package
          would be an APRS tracker.

          We really would like to be able to help you out here, but more
          information would allow us to give you something more than generic
          answers.

          Since this is the APRSISCE/32 forum, can I go out on a limb and guess
          that you might want to connect your HT/APRS encoder/decoder/GPS combo
          to a computer running APRSISCE/32? If so, you can narrow down the
          devices to a TT4, or the OT USB / OT3.

          Help us help you...
        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 6 , May 25, 2013
            > On a GPS, nope... with a GPS yes. An HT and one of the above devices
            > without a GPS is kind of useless.

            But not entirely useless. A tracker without a GPS (to save battery
            power) can transmit ONLY a status packet (no position) and be tracked
            anywhere in the world to the nearest digipeater using the "vicinity
            tracking" feature.

            The APRS-IS captures which IGate heard the packet and that is enough
            to narrow down th eposition to the nearest 50 miles and using the
            nearest digipeater, usually to the nearest 15 miles or so... depending
            on the PHG of the digi.

            Bob, Wb4aPR