APRS Tracker 2m HT

  • Russell Blair
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24 7:00 PM
      Let do this agian.... I know that the 2m HT will have to be on 144.39  what I was asking does anyone have a tracker on a 2M HT.and what kind of tracker is it.have you been able toget it to work on GPS, APRS tracker.

      Russell NC5O

      " IN GOD WE TRUST "
      " Skype-Russell.Blair "
      "God's law is set in stone..everything else is negotiable."
    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24 7:06 PM
        There are still too many variables.

        Do you have hardware that you're thinking of using? are you planning a new project? do you want two way communications capability or just a dumb tracker? PC Support? Stand alone? built in GPS?TNC? Message capable?

        I have 2 HT APRS capable set ups

        And a Kenwood D7 matched to a Garmin GPSMap60Cx

        They both work fine, but have very different purposes, and capabilities. The possibilities are endless... well, as endless as your funds and imagination allow.

        What we really need to know is, what is your end goal for your HT Tracker?

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        To: cross_country_wireless@...; aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , May 25 5:40 AM
            Hi Russell,

            I have a pretty common setup.

            Opentracker usb, Garmin 18X GPS, Yaesu VX170 HT

            Cables are from Byonics - the Opentracker is compatible with the Tiny Tracker cables.

            Works fine.

            73
            Ted
            W1GRI

            Let do this agian.... I know that the 2m HT will have to be on 144.39  what I was asking does anyone have a tracker on a 2M HT.and what kind of tracker is it.have you been able toget it to work on GPS, APRS tracker.

            Russell NC5O

            " IN GOD WE TRUST "
            " Skype-Russell.Blair "
            "God's law is set in stone..everything else is negotiable."

            No virus found in this message.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 25 8:13 AM
              On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Russell Blair
              <russell_blair86@...> wrote:

              > Let do this agian.... I know that the 2m HT will have to be on 144.39
              > what I was asking does anyone have a tracker on a 2M HT.

              Yes, I have done this with a number of HTs... thousands of other have
              done the same.

              > and what kind of tracker is it.

              TinyTrak, TinyTrak 3, TinyTrak4, PocketTracker, OpenTracker USB,
              OpenTracker 2, OpenTracker 3

              have you been able toget it to work on GPS,

              On a GPS, nope... with a GPS yes. An HT and one of the above devices
              without a GPS is kind of useless. None of the above have displays, so
              any received information would go no where. All you would be sending
              would be a static position report.

              > APRS tracker.

              Not sure what you would mean by this statement. You wouldn't get the
              device to work on an APRS tracker... an HT, an APRS encoder/decoder
              (as listed above), and a GPS unit integrated into a working package
              would be an APRS tracker.

              We really would like to be able to help you out here, but more
              information would allow us to give you something more than generic
              answers.

              Since this is the APRSISCE/32 forum, can I go out on a limb and guess
              that you might want to connect your HT/APRS encoder/decoder/GPS combo
              to a computer running APRSISCE/32? If so, you can narrow down the
              devices to a TT4, or the OT USB / OT3.

              Help us help you...
            • Robert Bruninga
              Message 6 of 6 , May 25 9:45 AM
                > On a GPS, nope... with a GPS yes. An HT and one of the above devices
                > without a GPS is kind of useless.

                But not entirely useless. A tracker without a GPS (to save battery
                power) can transmit ONLY a status packet (no position) and be tracked
                anywhere in the world to the nearest digipeater using the "vicinity
                tracking" feature.

                The APRS-IS captures which IGate heard the packet and that is enough
                to narrow down th eposition to the nearest 50 miles and using the
                nearest digipeater, usually to the nearest 15 miles or so... depending
                on the PHG of the digi.

                Bob, Wb4aPR