Re: [aprsisce] Wishlist: Automatic GPX logging

    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2013
      On 4/23/2013 2:04 PM, asbjorn.hauge wrote:
      > I see that you have an option for saving GPX logs for each station which has more than one position (the station have to make at least one track). This is a valuable feature for me in SAR situations, but it requires quite a bit of work to pull off when we have 40 stations to log.

      True 'nuff.

      > I haven't found any solution to this so far, so I hope you would be kind enough to listen to my proposal or direct me if the feature is there already :)
      >
      > 1: Set a filter for calls that should be logged to GPX automatically (for example "LE*" would log all "LE" callsigns). This is a "fire and forget" feature when you don't know the exact callsigns to log, or if you're not by the computer.

      So, you're envisioning one new filter configuration that will basically
      automatically set the "Auto-Save Future Track Changes" for every station
      that matches the filter? Even if that station never moves?

      > 2: Write the logfile for each beacon received (in case of a system failure and the buffer contains 50 unsaved positions).

      The current Auto-Save does this. It recreates the file and writes the
      entire current track and closes the file. It would be nice to just
      append to the file, but the GPX (and indeed, all XML-based formats)
      doesn't make that easy because there's closing tags that would have to
      be overwritten and rewritten at the new end of file.

      Given your apparent concern for capturing all data, it might be better
      if the program renamed the current file, wrote the new file, and then
      deleted the renamed old file?

      Note that the GPX file names are named based on the callsign and the
      timestamp of the first posit in the track, so if you clear tracks on
      any/all stations part way through an event, the old saved tracks will
      still be there and each station will get a new track on their next
      movement timestamped in the file name based on when that movement occurred.

      > 3: Save static positions for everything, including objects. This is vital.

      But only those matching the #1 filter, correct? Otherwise you're asking
      for LOTS of little tiny GPX files!

      > 4: (This is a long shot and I understand that the value might be questionable for other people than me): A built in FTP-client that can upload the new GPX files at a set interval.

      Not happening. There are 3rd party tools that can monitor a directory
      of files and mirror them to remote sites via any number of mechanisms on
      a timer or changed basis. I don't need to implement this particular
      blade of the non-APRS swiss army knife of functionality.

      > I hope this will be possible, as it will help us a lot when we have to document activity in a SAR situation.

      Everything is possible, given enough time to implement. These are good
      ideas that I'll add to the ToDo list and consider for implementation.

      > Anyway, thanks for a fantastic program!

      You're welcome. I'm glad you're finding it useful in the current
      incarnation!