Timer for Bulletins (feature request)

  • jandgandjochem
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24 2:56 PM
      I like to send out bulletins notifying other Hams in the neighbourhood (including myself when mobile) that ISS is coming over. However more then once I have forgotten to delete the bulletin and as a consequence it was still going when ISS had long left.

      Therefore I think it might be nice to be able to set a timer when configuring the Bulletin which will delete or perhaps disables the bulletin when the set time has expired.

      Any thoughts,

      Gerard VK2JNG
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24 4:04 PM
        How about an -IS to RF Filter like "o/ISS* +m/2000". That will pick up
        the ISS object from the APRS-IS but ONLY gate it to RF if it is within
        2,000km of "ME". The ISS footprint is about 1250 miles or 2,000km.
        Adjust as desired. Oh, and you'll need to add the "o/ISS*" to your
        Configuration / General / Add Filter as well, or the -IS to RF filter
        will never get to see the object to start with.

        And when I finally get the -IS to RF filters completed, you'll be able
        to have this filter and others running concurrently instead of just the
        one (Control-G / Control-I) that you get for now. And they'll be
        persistent and auto-restart!

        Then, whenever locals see the ISS object coming through on RF, they can
        send a message to ISS to find out what the pass stats are for their own
        location.

        On 5/24/2013 5:56 PM, jandgandjochem wrote:
        > I like to send out bulletins notifying other Hams in the neighbourhood (including myself when mobile) that ISS is coming over. However more then once I have forgotten to delete the bulletin and as a consequence it was still going when ISS had long left.
        >
        > Therefore I think it might be nice to be able to set a timer when configuring the Bulletin which will delete or perhaps disables the bulletin when the set time has expired.
        >
        > Any thoughts,
        >
        > Gerard VK2JNG

      • Adam Mahnke
        Message 3 of 8 , May 24 4:57 PM
          Time line on that? Lol

          Looking forward to being able to run concurrent filters

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          How about an -IS to RF Filter like "o/ISS* +m/2000". That will pick up
          the ISS object from the APRS-IS but ONLY gate it to RF if it is within
          2,000km of "ME". The ISS footprint is about 1250 miles or 2,000km.
          Adjust as desired. Oh, and you'll need to add the "o/ISS*" to your
          Configuration / General / Add Filter as well, or the -IS to RF filter
          will never get to see the object to start with.

          And when I finally get the -IS to RF filters completed, you'll be able
          to have this filter and others running concurrently instead of just the
          one (Control-G / Control-I) that you get for now. And they'll be
          persistent and auto-restart!

          Then, whenever locals see the ISS object coming through on RF, they can
          send a message to ISS to find out what the pass stats are for their own
          location.

          On 5/24/2013 5:56 PM, jandgandjochem wrote:
          > I like to send out bulletins notifying other Hams in the neighbourhood (including myself when mobile) that ISS is coming over. However more then once I have forgotten to delete the bulletin and as a consequence it was still going when ISS had long left.
          >
          > Therefore I think it might be nice to be able to set a timer when configuring the Bulletin which will delete or perhaps disables the bulletin when the set time has expired.
          >
          > Any thoughts,
          >
          > Gerard VK2JNG

            How about an -IS to RF Filter like "o/ISS* +m/2000". That will pick up
            the ISS object from the APRS-IS but ONLY gate it to RF if it is within
            2,000km of "ME". The ISS footprint is about 1250 miles or 2,000km.
            Adjust as desired. Oh, and you'll need to add the "o/ISS*" to your
            Configuration / General / Add Filter as well, or the -IS to RF filter
            will never get to see the object to start with.

            And when I finally get the -IS to RF filters completed, you'll be able
            to have this filter and others running concurrently instead of just the
            one (Control-G / Control-I) that you get for now. And they'll be
            persistent and auto-restart!

            Then, whenever locals see the ISS object coming through on RF, they can
            send a message to ISS to find out what the pass stats are for their own
            location.

            On 5/24/2013 5:56 PM, jandgandjochem wrote:
            > I like to send out bulletins notifying other Hams in the neighbourhood (including myself when mobile) that ISS is coming over. However more then once I have forgotten to delete the bulletin and as a consequence it was still going when ISS had long left.
            >
            > Therefore I think it might be nice to be able to set a timer when configuring the Bulletin which will delete or perhaps disables the bulletin when the set time has expired.
            >
            > Any thoughts,
            >
            > Gerard VK2JNG

          • Adam Mahnke
            Message 5 of 8 , May 24 5:19 PM
              I have a single filter set up, but I'd like to add a couple more for special event support. As well as the ISS

              Adam
              KC2ANT

              How about an -IS to RF Filter like "o/ISS* +m/2000". That will pick up
              the ISS object from the APRS-IS but ONLY gate it to RF if it is within
              2,000km of "ME". The ISS footprint is about 1250 miles or 2,000km.
              Adjust as desired. Oh, and you'll need to add the "o/ISS*" to your
              Configuration / General / Add Filter as well, or the -IS to RF filter
              will never get to see the object to start with.

              And when I finally get the -IS to RF filters completed, you'll be able
              to have this filter and others running concurrently instead of just the
              one (Control-G / Control-I) that you get for now. And they'll be
              persistent and auto-restart!

              Then, whenever locals see the ISS object coming through on RF, they can
              send a message to ISS to find out what the pass stats are for their own
              location.

              On 5/24/2013 5:56 PM, jandgandjochem wrote:
              > I like to send out bulletins notifying other Hams in the neighbourhood (including myself when mobile) that ISS is coming over. However more then once I have forgotten to delete the bulletin and as a consequence it was still going when ISS had long left.
              >
              > Therefore I think it might be nice to be able to set a timer when configuring the Bulletin which will delete or perhaps disables the bulletin when the set time has expired.
              >
              > Any thoughts,
              >
              > Gerard VK2JNG

            • jandgandjochem
              Message 6 of 8 , May 24 5:47 PM
                Lynn,

                Not quite the same what I had in mind but nice to know what you wrote anyway.

                I was more thinking of mobile stations and whilst driving it would not be a good idea to start sending a message to ISS (if it ever gets there), read the reply etc.
                Whereas if they get the bulletin (perhaps preceding with a % sign for the ones with a voice module), all they have to do turn VFO knob one click to ISS frequency (if APRS frequency memory location is next to ISS frequency memory location) and they can beacon away to get through to ISS. I use a different PM for APRS and ISS. Two button pushes and I am where I want to be. Also, consider that in remote areas in Australia there are no digis and or iGates but there are mobile stations who may like to try ISS. I operate portable and have internet just about anywhere in Australia. Therefore I can notify other Hams about the appearance of ISS and have done so in the past. Hence, my thought that it would be nice to have a timer associated with the bulletin which will time out after LOS.

                Thanks,

                Gerard VK2JNG

                Message 7 of 8 , May 25 7:45 AM
                  On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:47 PM, jandgandjochem <vk2jng@...> wrote:

                  > Not quite the same what I had in mind but nice to know what you wrote anyway.

                  Sounds like you're not understanding what Lynn told you. How would
                  sending out a Bulletin be any different than sending out an object
                  other than the obvious (APRS sentence format, and receive station
                  actions)?

                  The object would pop up on your screen showing the location and other
                  pertinent information, and move across the map (when running
                  APRSISCE/32), whereas a Bulletin would just give you a static text
                  notification that the ISS is somewhere around.

                  > I was more thinking of mobile stations and whilst driving it would not be a good idea
                  > to start sending a message to ISS (if it ever gets there), read the reply etc.

                  That suggestion was not meant to be sending messages to the ISS, but
                  rather to query for further information about the pass. The Bulletin
                  concept would require such a query so you could determine if the ISS
                  would come within range, whereas the object being sent out would
                  already give you an idea where the ISS is located and it's footprint.
                  You could get an idea of whether you will be in range or not without
                  having to send a request in for more information.

                  > Whereas if they get the bulletin (perhaps preceding with a % sign for the ones with
                  > a voice module), all they have to do turn VFO knob one click to ISS frequency
                  > (if APRS frequency memory location is next to ISS frequency memory location)
                  > and they can beacon away to get through to ISS. I use a different PM for APRS
                  > and ISS. Two button pushes and I am where I want to be.

                  So now you've jumped over to using the Kenwood radio as your receive
                  station. So now you won't see the object moving across your map, but
                  it will show up in your RX List, and pop up on the screen. It will
                  also move around on the GPS screen (if you have one). The bulletin
                  will show up in your messages.

                  You can set up the Kenwood with preprogrammed message text, so you
                  could send a query with relatively few button presses.

                  > Also, consider that in remote areas in Australia there are no digis and or iGates
                  > but there are mobile stations who may like to try ISS. I operate portable and have
                  > internet just about anywhere in Australia. Therefore I can notify other Hams about
                  > the appearance of ISS and have done so in the past. Hence, my thought that it
                  > would be nice to have a timer associated with the bulletin which will time out after LOS.

                  Pushing the object to the RF network accomplishes local notification,
                  but if the locals aren't on RF because there is no local RF, then it's
                  a moot point. Those stations could simply use a local filter that
                  shows them where the ISS is located... for that matter they could sit
                  on the ISS frequency 24 hours a day.

                  I'm not saying your request and using Bulletins is a bad idea, but the
                  object concept would give you similar, if not better results...

                  Have a look at it and see what it does.

                • Robert Bruninga
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 25 10:15 AM
                    This has been done since 1996. First in APRSdata (dos) and later in
                    DIGIned and others. They geneerate an OBJECT for the ISS that
                    includes both the uplink and downlink making it possible to tune the
                    ISS while mobile.

                    No need for a bulletin. They even include the % so that the elevation
                    angle is spoken.

                    Oh, they also did send out a once every 10 minute DXobject that would
                    get collected in the radio's DX list showing the times of the next 4
                    passes. All in one packet.

                    Bob, WB4APR