Re: [aprsisce] usb gps

  • Reg
    Message 1 of 17 , May 22, 2013
      I am forwarding this posting which may help.

      Reg

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 9, 2013

        Is there are a way that I can run Delormes serial emulator on a 64 bit machine?

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 9, 2013

          I have 2 BT-20 and they will not pair up with my laptop.

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013

            Does anyone know of a way to use a usb gps with Aprsis32 on a 64 bit machine.

            Delorme serial converter will not work on a 65 bit machine.

            Thanks,

            Don

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013
              What kind of GPS?

              Are there serial drivers for the GPS?

              Does the GPS look like a serial device? Check your device settings under COM ports and see if it is present.

              Best regards,
              Fred N7FMH

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013
                Get a real serial GPS or a USB GPS with drivers that emulate a serial port, or possibly even a Bluetooth GPS which communications via the SPP protocol.  DeLorme's USB one, as you know, won't work.  However, their BT-20 will, provided your machine has Bluetooth capability.

                Or just pick up a $5 Bluetooth USB adapter for your PC and add the cheapest Bluetooth GPS you can find.

                Of course, you can always harp on DeLorme to come into the 21st century and update their serial port emulator driver to support the newest 64 bit Operating Systems and the constraints that Microsoft is forcing onto everyone.

                On 10/10/2013 3:23 PM, Don Eklund wrote:

                Does anyone know of a way to use a usb gps with Aprsis32 on a 64 bit machine.

                Delorme serial converter will not work on a 65 bit machine.

                Thanks,

                Don

              • Mike Miller
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013
                  Hi Don,

                  Which model? I know one of the old ones, LT-20 maybe, had serial
                  available and Delorme sold an adapter that allowed it to connect
                  to a PDA. You might need to use the Wayback internet archive to
                  find anything about it. The one they show on the web now is a
                  GlobalSat BU-353 which I believe uses Prolific drivers and is
                  available from GlobalSat for Win7-64.

                  If you have an LT-20 the discussion on this link may be of
                  interest:
                  <http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=25113>

                  With the price of USB pucks it may not be worth the effort. I
                  didn't see a driver on GlobalSat for Win8 if you have that. One
                  reason I bought a Win7 laptop while I could still get one.

                  73
                  Mike kc9doa

                  73
                  Mike kc9doa

                  On 10 Oct 2013 at 15:23, Don Eklund wrote:

                  > Does anyone know of a way to use a usb gps with Aprsis32 on a
                  > 64 bit
                  > machine.
                  >

                  > Delorme serial converter will not work on a 65 bit machine.
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  >

                  > Don

                • Rob Giuliano
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013
                    It really does depend on the model.

                    Many Delorme models used a proprietary sentence structure.  That was true on some of the serial models and may have been true on some USB models.  Byonics even made a "sentence translator"

                    >  The GST-1 (GPS Sentence Translator) is a small, microcontroller based
                       serial device designed to translate Rockwell Binary format, as used in
                       the original DeLorme Earthmate and Sony SkyMap serial GPS receivers,
                       to NMEA-0183 version 2.0 sentences.

                    Tranlation may be built into the USB drivers, if they were direct USB devices.

                    Robert Giuliano
                    KB8RCO

                    Which model? I know one of the old ones, LT-20 maybe, had serial
                    available and Delorme sold an adapter that allowed it to connect
                    to a PDA. You might need to use the Wayback internet archive to
                    find anything about it. The one they show on the web now is a
                    GlobalSat BU-353 which I believe uses Prolific drivers and is
                    available from GlobalSat for Win7-64.

                    If you have an LT-20 the discussion on this link may be of
                    interest:
                    <http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=25113>

                    With the price of USB pucks it may not be worth the effort. I
                    didn&apos;t see a driver on GlobalSat for Win8 if you have that. One

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013
                      I actually have several of the BR-355 serial NMEA GPSes that have worked
                      very well for me. Feed them 5v and they feed you back NMEA RS-232. I'm
                      not sure of the voltage levels, but it works fine feeding into a
                      TinyTrak4, AI4GK's D7, my D700, as well as several USB to serial
                      adapters that I used for testing.

                      You don't need to buy their cable adapter. Just visit
                      http://tinyurl.com/4nrm8pv to see how to wire your own.

                      Google for it and you should find it between $30-$50.

                      On 10/10/2013 4:22 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
                      > Hi Don,
                      >
                      > Which model? I know one of the old ones, LT-20 maybe, had serial
                      > available and Delorme sold an adapter that allowed it to connect
                      > to a PDA. You might need to use the Wayback internet archive to
                      > find anything about it. The one they show on the web now is a
                      > GlobalSat BU-353 which I believe uses Prolific drivers and is
                      > available from GlobalSat for Win7-64.
                      >
                      > If you have an LT-20 the discussion on this link may be of
                      > interest:
                      > <http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=25113>
                      >
                      > With the price of USB pucks it may not be worth the effort. I
                      > didn't see a driver on GlobalSat for Win8 if you have that. One
                      > reason I bought a Win7 laptop while I could still get one.
                      >
                      > 73
                      > Mike kc9doa
                      >
                      > 73
                      > Mike kc9doa
                      >
                      > On 10 Oct 2013 at 15:23, Don Eklund wrote:
                      >
                      >> Does anyone know of a way to use a usb gps with Aprsis32 on a
                      >> 64 bit
                      >> machine.
                      >>

                      >> Delorme serial converter will not work on a 65 bit machine.
                      >>

                      >> Thanks,
                      >>

                      >> Don

                    • Don Eklund
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013

                        I have a 4 blue tooth gps and none will pair with my laptop, but other devices do.  I have also tried a Bluetooth usb adapter.

                        Is that a program like delorme serial emulator for a 64 bit machine.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013

                          It is delormes usb gps

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013
                            On 10/10/2013 7:28 PM, Don Eklund wrote:
                            Is that a program like delorme serial emulator for a 64 bit machine.

                            Not that I'm aware of.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
                              Model?