RE: [aprsisce] Feature Requests - Rotating and Color Symbol Attributes & Mile Markers

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2013
      > I guess having all of these colors would make to display more confusing
      > and we can get this info from the beacon info anyway.

      Depends on whether you want to be able to "glance" at a display and see
      what is going on (IE, see what icons are what) or whether you want to go
      around and click on all 300 of them one at a time to see what they are..

      > Third, the APRS spec should not dictate appearance.

      It doesn’t. But the design of APRS was always about conveing information
      to the viewer without him having to go around and click on every single
      symbol on the map to find out which ones are old, new, within the last
      minute, moving, or objects or your objects or your objects moved by
      someone else, or message capable, or flagged or alarmed.

      APRS should work under stress. Adding the requirement to go click on
      every Icon to see what it is about does not help.

      There are 8 dimensions or attributes to *what* a symbol represents. Not
      presenting those attributes to the viewer has been the biggest loss when
      most clients shifted to simple Windows Icons as if they were all the same.

      Yes, in the Baltimore/Washington area there are 300 symbols in the local
      VHF radio range, a mass of symbols... though at any one time, only maybe a
      handful are doing anything or involved in your immediate interest. When
      the attributes are visibile, it is easy to see which ones those are.

      Bob, WB4APR