RE: [aprsisce] xml file problem

  • Adam Rozanski
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
      Lynn I am using aprsisce/32 since the upgrade befor the last one all worked fine now when i try get primary config fromat erro reconered from safe 2 times then it comes up See the map and my qth but nothing else works no scroll in left side nuting else comes up on the map In right conner botton get dsbl any help
      thank you
      Adam ka2uol

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: kj4erj@...
      Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:21:05 -0400
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] xml file problem

      Steve,

      Please do send both your files to KJ4ERJ@.... I'm not sure why
      it's doing this, but the newest version at least makes a copy of the
      last known good one.

      Steve wrote:

      > Just updated to the latest development release.
      >
      > And found that it removed my callsign and port settings etc. So I
      > copied my backup file across, and the same thing happened.
      >
      > I ended up manual putting the port settings etc back in.
      >
      > I can send a copy of my xml files if that helps with debug.
      >

      > Steve
      >
      > G6UIM

    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010

        > Maybe I should also show you what
        > information was sent back out to the query source? Or should I just
        > suppress it all and never let you know who's knocking at your door?

        Good questions, Lynn. I don't know what other clients do. But whilst I can imagine some people might be interested in knowing who has queried them, if you have just left it running all day it would be annoying to have to click through all the queries you had received. My suggestion would be to show them in the list (as they already are) but distinguished in some way, so if you wanted to you could click on the entry and find out what was sent.

        On the subject of knowing who's knocking at my door, I often find (on HF) the TX working when I'm not sending a beacon and haven't initiated any messages, and no-one has sent any queries to me. Because of this I have tended to leave the logging on, and I find that I'm transmitting stuff like this:

        Transmitted G4ILO-1>APWW03,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:}DM8TA-3>APU25N,G4ILO-1*::RA6AS-3 :priwet{54

        I don't have IS to RF enabled nor have I configured any digipeating stuff. I assume that DM8TA-3 has sent a message to RA6AS-3 saying "privet" with G4ILO-1 in the path but I can't actually find a "Posting..." entry for it in the log, the first entry I can find says:

        Queueing G4ILO-1>APWW03,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:}DM8TA-3>APU25N,G4ILO-1*::RA6AS-3 :priwet{54

        so I don't know where this message is coming from. When this happens you usually get a string of entries for the same station in the list, but when you click on any of them you always get the same info so you can't see what's been sent or received without keeping the log open.

        Julian, G4ILO
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010

          I would love to see who queried and what was sent in response, even if only in a log file. Perhaps 1 message to say you have been queried (no matter how many times, until cleared) and who and what was sent in a log file

          Steve

          G6UIM

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
            g4ilo wrote:
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Maybe I should also show you what
            >> information was sent back out to the query source? Or should I just
            >> suppress it all and never let you know who's knocking at your door?
            >>

            > Good questions, Lynn. I don't know what other clients do. But whilst I can imagine some people might be interested in knowing who has queried them, if you have just left it running all day it would be annoying to have to click through all the queries you had received. My suggestion would be to show them in the list (as they already are) but distinguished in some way, so if you wanted to you could click on the entry and find out what was sent.

            I'm just about to put together the first step towards my new messaging
            interface. It will be pulling all pending messages from a single
            station into a single message box when you encounter the first one. I
            could pull all queries and their responses into a single message box
            when you hit a query, so there'll be many fewer things to clear after a
            day's operation. Check out KJ4ERJ-AP's messages and imagine what I've
            been doing every morning. Yes, I'm like google, I eat my own dog food!

            > On the subject of knowing who's knocking at my door, I often find (on HF) the TX working when I'm not sending a beacon and haven't initiated any messages, and no-one has sent any queries to me. Because of this I have tended to leave the logging on, and I find that I'm transmitting stuff like this:
            >
            > Transmitted G4ILO-1>APWW03,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:}DM8TA-3>APU25N,G4ILO-1*::RA6AS-3 :priwet{54
            >
            > I don't have IS to RF enabled nor have I configured any digipeating stuff. I assume that DM8TA-3 has sent a message to RA6AS-3 saying "privet" with G4ILO-1 in the path but I can't actually find a "Posting..." entry for it in the log, the first entry I can find says:
            >
            > Queueing G4ILO-1>APWW03,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:}DM8TA-3>APU25N,G4ILO-1*::RA6AS-3 :priwet{54
            >
            > so I don't know where this message is coming from. When this happens you usually get a string of entries for the same station in the list, but when you click on any of them you always get the same info so you can't see what's been sent or received without keeping the log open.

            That sounds like an IGated message, which is by default enabled in
            APRSISCE/32. There's some checkboxes that imply that you can turn it
            off at the interface level, but I don't have them implemented just yet.
            Hopefully very soon. Right now, if a station was recently heard locally
            on ANY RF interface, messages to that station will be gated to EVERY
            transmit-enabled RF interface. I know, I need to fix that.

            As for the logging, turn on Enables / Logging / IGate and you might see
            more about the activity, but I'm not sure. You don't need to have the
            Trace Log open or visible, just enabled. Then when you open it, the
            data will be there having been buffered in the background.
            Unfortunately, individual Trace Log enable statuses are not saved
            between runs, so you have to remember to turn them back on when you
            restart. I'm hoping to make them sticky sometime soon.

          • g4ilo
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010

              > That sounds like an IGated message, which is by default enabled in
              > APRSISCE/32. There's some checkboxes that imply that you can turn it
              > off at the interface level, but I don't have them implemented just yet.
              > Hopefully very soon. Right now, if a station was recently heard locally
              > on ANY RF interface, messages to that station will be gated to EVERY
              > transmit-enabled RF interface. I know, I need to fix that.

              Yikes. That'll make me popular.

              Though if you look at the raw messages for DM8TA-3 http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=DM8TA-3 it looks to me as if he is in the habit of specifying specific stations in the path.

              I'll try the IGate log when I start up tomorrow. I'm just going QRT now.

              Julian, G4ILO